SlingPlayer for iPhone rejected at AT&T’s request?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aznkid25, Apr 15, 2009.

1. aznkid25 macrumors 6502

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/04/15/slingplayer-for-iphone-rejected-at-atts-request/

Some feared it might happen, others thought it would pass with flying colors, but unfortunately we’ve got a tip that sheds some light on the situation. This was from an anonymous tipster and we’re posting it for information sake. We’ve already reached out to Sling Media PR, so in the meantime, while we wait, here’s what we’ve been told:

The application (SlingPlayer for iPhone) conformed to every single Apple guideline for applications and user interfaces, etc. The reason it was denied (actually denied today if our tipster is to be believed) was because of an executive decision on Apple’s end. AT&T had asked that the app be rejected due to worries about bandwidth consumption (this doesn’t make too much sense given that other devices has been using SlingPlayer Mobile for a long time…).

2. Macisgr8 macrumors member

Wow that sucks. I saw slingbox on sale the other day and thought about picking it up in anticipation of the iPhone app guess its a good thing I didn't.

3. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

From your same link:

UPDATE: Sling says that they “have had no word from Apple.” Yay!

There's still hope. :)

4. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

UPDATE: Sling says that they “have had no word from Apple."

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

6. christall109 macrumors 6502

Why do I have the feeling we won't see this app until 3.0 comes out? I think Apple may want to have them use the new video streaming feature...

...then again I have feeliing I will never be able to use this app.

I hope I'm wrong. Very wrong.

7. javaGuru macrumors 6502a

javaGuru

I hope this isn't true. If this is true it will just confirm AT&T to be the iPhone app Nazis that they are. This really would suck the big one! I will drop AT&T like a bad habit if this is true.

I went out and spent over $300 on the new slingbox pro HD in anticipation of this app. I can still use it on my macbook pro but it would still be nice to be able to use it on my iPhone.

8. goingblue macrumors member

Ugh. This is the one thing that will take my JesusPhone to GodPhone. Heck...at this point I'd be pacified with a version that only works over wifi. Not perfect but SOMETHING!

I was doing this on my Treo 3 freaking years ago.

:)

9. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

My understanding, and I haven't looked at that API in depth because it's of no use to me, is that the streaming API uses the media player controller. Sling won't use that because that control hijacks the entire screen. You won't get access to the remote or any of the Sling buttons/features. The streaming video API is fine for playing a single video, but for something like a Sling app it's worthless.

10. austy macrumors newbie

I really hope this is wrong! From the looks of the information on the singmedia web site they are pretty optimistic that the app will be released. Their "Special upgrade program for slingbox owners" actual states compatibility with the iphone as the reason for the offer.

I like many others I am sure bought a Singbox in anticipation of this app being released :(

I wonder how the AT&T decision/rumor will affect the UK market as o2 seem to be a lot more relaxed when it comes to such restrictions.

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I feel for you, but with Apple's track-record/unpredictableness of approving apps, this likely was not the best thing to do. Did you really think this app was going to be ushered right through?

12. austy macrumors newbie

I knew it would require a lot of in-depth analysis before it was approved due to the nature of the application but I was shocked when first I read this thread.

Although after Apple released NetShare and then it was subsequently retracted probably because of network provider’s uproar, they are probably a lot more cautious when approving apps that could potentially eat up bandwidth.

Im still optimistic :)

13. Motley macrumors 6502

So no word yet I take it? (sorry haven't been paying attention if there's been further developments)

14. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Nothing as of yet. The "reports" of SlingPlayer being rejected had no evidence to back it up and SlingMedia said that they had not heard a peep from Apple about it yet. If you're absolutely clamoring for any sort of news on this stuff I'd suggest giving this forum a visit: http://www.slingcommunity.com/forums/61/SlingPlayer-iPhone-iPod-Touch/threads

15. danimal99 macrumors regular

I doubt that's an issue because if AT&T bandwidth was a concern, they could just restrict it to wifi only use. Besides, don't wireless carriers already have streaming "TV" services anyway? Not to mention the iPhone shipped with streaming video software from the very start (YouTube).

16. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

So much for "there's an app for that.." Way to go apple :rolleyes: If at+t at fault for this, then perhaps its time to support more cell providers apple.

17. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I didn't read the 2nd, but the first one does nothing to "debunk" the rumor. Just like everyone else, especially on the Internet, everyone has an opinion. The fact that Sling runs on other AT&T phones does not mean anything. Blackberry owners have the option to switch to a different carrier if they are not satisfied - and still use their phone. Therefore, these consumers are afforded more options by AT&T as they don't want to lose them. Not so for iPhone owners. We have to play by AT&T's rules because we have no other option. Our options are stay with AT&T and keep your iPhone or switch to another carrier and give up the iPhone. Most of us love our phones very much so have resigned to putting up with AT&T's restrictions.

As for that Sling exec? What do you really expect him to say? He's not allowed to discuss certain things. Read between the lines and he is really saying "no comment".