Slo-mo functionality and what it means for video resolution?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Becact, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Becact macrumors member

I'm trying to justify a 16gb model to myself this generation...

This generation I am thinking I will not be adding any music to my phones storage. The reason being because I have unlimited data, so streaming from google music and/or iTunes Match means all my music is available as long as I have a connection. I don't have iTunes Match currently, but at only $25 a year, the extra $100 from moving to 32gb pays for 4 years! Ad free iradio is just icing on the cake.

I'm also not a huge app user, just a few like weather channel, etc. I don't game on the device, nor do I consume video media (except streaming).

So that just leaves the camera... I know photos are still 8mp which means you can store about 400-450 per gb. With backups every once in a while, not a problem even on 16gb.

Now, video... On iphone 5 you could only record at 1080p. That's unfortunate because 720p takes much less space and looks just as good in most situations. However the iphone 5s supposedly does it's slow mo thing in 720p. They've also said you won't need to select an option for slow mo, it will always be available on EVERY video clip for after the fact editing.

Does this mean every single video you take is actually stored in 720p, but at 120 frames per second? That would take even more space than 1080/30! Does it not record in 1080p any longer? I don't see how it could if every video is available for slo-mo editing after the fact, and slo-mo is only 720p...

----------

Just checked apple's site, and it does say video is still 1080/30. How is every video going to be editable for slo-mo then? I hope to god it doesn't store 120 1080p frames per second for every video.

2. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Don't do it! I've always been able to get by on 16GB. This is the first year I'd have been comfortable staying with the previous generation and waiting until the 6 but I've been playing a pick and choose delete game lately with photos and apps and it's killing me so I'm upgrading to the 5S for that reason.

3. Becact thread starter macrumors member

I just read an article that says slo-mo is a separate camera mode. This means that for any video shot with the 5s, it will either be 1080/30 or 720/120.

I really wish there was a 720/30 option :(

----------

Like I said though, I don't play games, and only have a few apps, and all are small. So my main concern is photos and video.

Why not offload your photos to your home computer? Or use a cloud system to get them off your phone?

4. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

If you're so worried about space leave it completely picture/video free then that way as soon as you get home, transfer it over and delete it off your phone.

5. LastLine macrumors 65816

THIS DEAR GOD THIS!

I love my 720p video, it's more than enough for most of what I do, I hate I have to record in 1080p :p

6. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I don't download many apps, either. I have a 9GB music library and that's it. Usually only 100 or so photos on the phone, <10 or so ~1 minute video clips, with six or seven apps (not games) and that's it.

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

8. FelixDerKater macrumors 68020

FelixDerKater

Especially when the phone's display can't even show 1080p, or even 720p for that matter...