Sloppy repair at Apple store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheIntruder, Aug 28, 2014.

1. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

So I brought my iPhone 5 to have its battery replaced under the recently-announced battery repair program.

While I'm grateful that Apple has acknowledged the issue, and is performing repairs gratis, I'm less than thrilled with the process and result.

Understandably, there has been a rush, and parts shortages have occurred, requiring multiple visits.

Less acceptable is the seemingly rushed job that has left a bunch of noticeable black dust specs inside the screen, and will require another visit to remedy, after a wait for the next available appointment. Online queuing or AppleCare phone support are the only two options now; nothing in between, and certainly little they will do even in person without an appointment.

But the real question is what they will do to remedy the issue? Stick a wand from canned air, blow, and hope for the best? Replace the screen assembly? The phone (it's also eligible for the sleep switch, and some people have just had them replaced for both programs)?

Considering the screen assembly appears to be a one-piece unit, I'm curious as to how they even managed to contaminate the inside of the screen between the glass and LCD. Their work environment could certainly stand to be cleaner.

No matter, what should have been taken care of ideally in one visit has now been drawn out into many more, resulting in a waste of my time, and theirs.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Ok,

Are you just here to complain? That does seem to be a natural instinct of people to let others know when they're not happy, "people must know I'm not satisfied"

3. TheIntruder thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

I'm asking for others' experience regarding how Apple handles these situations.

I've never had to rely on the services at one of their stores before, and I'd like to know what kind of response to expect.

How companies handle things that go wrong often reveal more than when things go as expected.

What can you share, other than a snide remark?

4. Ta0jin macrumors 6502a

Ta0jin

I had a loose power button and I took mine in and the genius took it in the back to recreate it and when he came back I noticed that on mine too. Luckily my whole unit was replaced but it looked like it was between the digitizer and the screen which I found strange how that happened... Maybe from popping open the phone somehow? Putting too much pressure and bending the screen it opened it enough for dust to get in?

5. I7guy macrumors G5

People's experience is going to be varied, to say the least.

You should take your phone back to apple and then tell us how the experience was handled.

6. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

The screen and the glass are two separate parts. While they are often replaced together they do come apart so it is not impossible that some dust got stuck between them. Hopefully they fix it for you.