SlotLoading Superdrives and Powerbooks

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
News.com discusses upcoming DVD-R enabled laptops coming from Sony and Toshiba.

Due to Apple's Titanium Powerbook using a slot-loaded drive, implementing a DVD-R in the Powerbook will take more time:

Greg Joswiak, senior director of Apple's worldwide hardware product marketing, could not estimate when DVD recording drives would be available on the PowerBook.

"We'll offer them as soon as the slot-loading drives are available," he said.
A minor revision to the Powerbooks are expected soon, with November 5th being the most likely date. Reports included speed bumps up to 1GHz and there has been some debate about internal vs external superdrive additions. Based on this article, it appears an internal Superdrive is not yet available.

mister880

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2002
If they don't have a slot loader than perhaps they could go back to the tray... It's really not that big of a deal is it? Sure a slot loader looks cooler but if someone wants or needs a superdrive then give them it! For $3000 it wouldn't hurt to stay ahead of the other guys... I really think if you were going to use the DVD burner you would more than likely be sitting down on a stable surface like a table or desk... Not trying to whip a dvd out while riding in a cab from 8th to Walnut....

Just my two cents...

Spock

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I would not mind Apple putting the trayloader back on the Powerbook's then you can burn those cool little mini cd's.

mister880

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2002
I would not mind Apple putting the trayloader back on the Powerbook's then you can burn those cool little mini cd's.

That's one more reason to bring back the tray! To be honest I don't see the reason for the smaller CDs but then again I don't own one of those fancy digital cameras!:)

But for anyone who has ever had a CD stuck in a slot loading drive you will know the fustration that you never would have on a tray loader!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by Spock
[ edit: oops... I meant tray loaders take more space ]

arn

macomposer

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2002
And another thing...

This brings to mind my biggest gripe with my TiBook: my right hand rests atop the slot-load drive when I am working, and as a result the top of the slot has bowed in slightly, making it an adventure to get discs in and out. In addition, the paint in that area is quite corroded.

These problems are a result of my usage habits and my body chemistry, as I corrode metals like crazy (I can kill a set of guitar strings in a day) ... but, I bet I am not the only person to experience these issues. Hopefully design improvements in the TiBooks will include reinforcement of the drive bay.

Other than these little annoyances I completely love my TiBook (except for the delicate electrical input and adapter, but that is for another thread!)

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
DC
Originally posted by arn

I think the slot loaders take more space.

arn
yes i believe that's true and that would make the 1" tibook a much ticker, heavier laptop. I would rather wait for the tray dvdr and have speed bump update soon. The design/ performace of the current tibook is what takes them apart from the rest. Having the tray back would throw that design way off. I really doubt apple would ever do that.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
Is a superdrive that important? I am guessing that the power consumption on such a drive would force you to plug the PB in instead of using the battery. If that is the case then most likely you are doing it inside some sort of building (or mobile office or something). If that is the case, wouldn't an external superdrive still work? :confused:

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Originally posted by iShater
Is a superdrive that important? I am guessing that the power consumption on such a drive would force you to plug the PB in instead of using the battery. If that is the case then most likely you are doing it inside some sort of building (or mobile office or something). If that is the case, wouldn't an external superdrive still work? :confused:
True, buy it's one less thing to lug arround in your laptop case. When I was consulting and flying back and forth between DFW-PDX every day, I didn't want anything I didn't absolutely need in that carry-on bag. I'd leave the floppy drive (was a Sony VAIO) at home just to save that 1/2 inch of space. (Gotta make room for that Myth collection double jewel case you know!)

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
The only thing you are missing with an external drive is iDVD, but be realistic. If you are trully the type of person that might need extensive DVD burning in a mobile set up, you would be using DVD Studio Pro or another comercial app, not an iApp.

Ah, my first posts here were on SuperDrive TiBooks....:D

MikeH

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
If that is the case, wouldn't an external superdrive still work?
I don't think iDVD works with external DVD writers, so you won't get all the functionality of an internal drive.

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Originally posted by iShater
For the most part I agree with you, and don't dvd burners put ff more heat than cd burners? With the heat you probably wouldn't want to use your powerbook while it's burning so an external drive sounds like a better solution. And the battery consumption is a big factor too. But this is a highly sought after feature and I'm sure it would move a lot of units so I'm sure Apple is working hard on getting this out, and we knew it was going to take some time because when Toshiba first announced they had made a dvd-r for laptops we knew that because of the size it wouldnt fit in the Tibook. Perhaps Apple will wait until a new powerbook model is released before they put out the dvd-r for it, a new model that is created around the issues at hand.

steveh

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2002
Originally posted by mister880
If they don't have a slot loader than perhaps they could go back to the tray... It's really not that big of a deal is it?
Other than the minor problem that it wouldn't fit the TiBook case, no problem.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
It would be definitely cool to have a DVD-R, but would more than a small percentage of people use it? I use CD-R's like crazy because they are cheap. The only Point I see to a DVD-R is video. And the users who NEED DVD-R are very few. I would rather see the size of the powerbook remain intact more than I would rather see a DVD-R.

Of course, to satify us all, could apple (who would probably sell more DVD-R's than anyone else) have struck a deal to keep the exsistance of a slot loading version secret until Nov 5th?

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
You guys are reading too much into this. We have already seen Pioneer show off it's slot load, laptop sized dvd writer in public. It's obvious who it's for. Of course Jozwiak would say such a thing. If he said otherwise, he would be spilling company secrets and Steve would have fired his ass by now.

AngusB

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2002
Washington DC
DVD-R are still a possibility

I have to agree that there is no way Apple would let the cat out of the bag about a slotloading DVD-R until it was in the machine being demo'd.

Also, I don't neccesarily think that a DVD-R would take that much more power than a CD-R. Other than the time it takes to master a DVD compared to a CD, the actual tasks involved are the same. Laser burns disc...

Angus

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2001
CT
iDVD

Originally posted by MikeH

I don't think iDVD works with external DVD writers, so you won't get all the functionality of an internal drive.
I'm sure that if it comes to a external SuperDrive, Apple would release some software/patch that allows iDVD to work with external SuperDrives.
I forget which company, but a company did release a external SuperDrive that had software which allowed it to work with iDVD, however, Apple asked them to stop selling it.

Mirage_

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2002
Re: iDVD

Originally posted by MacUser1

I'm sure that if it comes to a external SuperDrive, Apple would release some software/patch that allows iDVD to work with external SuperDrives.
I forget which company, but a company did release a external SuperDrive that had software which allowed it to work with iDVD, however, Apple asked them to stop selling it.
OWC? eshop.macsales.com I think thats who it was...

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Re: iDVD

Originally posted by MacUser1

Only if that external drive has an Apple logo on it I'd bet.

Titanium.X

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2002
News.com needs to get its head out of the sand

News.com needs to get its head out of the sand. This is old news. The drive has already been announced by Panasonic. Here is the thread from AppleInsider...

-------

PowerBook Superdrive Information...

ZDNet Japan Article (Japanese)

Babelfish does a decent translating job on this one. Specifications for both slim tray and slot-loading versions appear to be the same. Write speeds are DVD-R 2x, DVD-RW 1x, DVD-RAM 2x, CD-R 16x and CD-RW 4x. Read speeds are DVD 8x and CD 24x. Availability is said to be toward years' end so November may be a possiblility but it could mean we will have to wait until January. The slim-tray is marked with a production date of July. No indications of a production date on the slot-loading version, probably is just going into production. This could very well be the holdup on new PowerBooks. These will be sold OEM only at first.

-------

Titanium.X

esome

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2002
what IS new then?

no new superdrives but is there any consensus on what will be new in the rumored laptops (besides a possible speedbump)?

nicely

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2002
Brooklyn, NY - Cobble Hill
Faster processor, more ram standard, faster video card with 64MB of VRAM, a slightly redesigned case? I think there will be a slot loading superdrive. That's what I'm holding out for. Otherwise, I'll probably get the 12", maybe 13", iBook when the new ones come out.

Blackcat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2002
Cirencester, UK
buy now!

Originally posted by Nebrie
You guys are reading too much into this. We have already seen Pioneer show off it's slot load, laptop sized dvd writer in public. It's obvious who it's for. Of course Jozwiak would say such a thing. If he said otherwise, he would be spilling company secrets and Steve would have fired his ass by now.
Apple wheel out Jozwiak when sales are poor because we're waiting. He's saying buy a Powerbook now, it's not getting a Superdrive this revision. He did the same when no new PowerMacs were due.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.