Slow 3G speeds on Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by srowe2003, Nov 2, 2011.

1. srowe2003 macrumors newbie

Hello All. Has anyone else experienced slower than normal 3g download speeds with the 4S with decent upload speeds? My wife has an iPhone 4 and was consistently at 800 - 1200 kbps prior to upgrading to iOS 5. My android device (which was a piece of crap that I had to pull the battery on every day) was also pulling 800 - 1200 kbps in the same spot. After a quick call to verizon today I was told that 400 kbps is the "minimum" 3G speed and I was getting at least that. So I shouldn't have anything to worry about. I just find it odd that my upload speed is, at times, double my download speed. Anyone have thoughts???

Attached Files:

2. murdoc158 macrumors regular

I think the highest I've personally experienced was 1.2Mbs. I normally experience about 800kbs. Have you used over 2GB this billing cycle? You could be getting throttled if you have.

3. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

The top one is as of right now.

Attached Files:

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. rpungello macrumors member

My Verizon 4S peaks at around 2.1Mbps, but I usually get closer to 1Mbps.
    The thing is though, it still feels quick (likely due to the low latency times).

6. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

ViperDesign

Speed tests mean nothing, how is your real world browsing experience? My pages load very quick with very little latency.

And I get speeds like that or worse, much worse.

7. Will69 macrumors regular

I suspect that latency and indeed peering arrangements with IP providers is what makes Verizon Internet quicker than AT&T. At least in my area. I ran head to head tests when I had both phones at the same time and even though the speed test gave verizon about a 30% advantage, the actual page loading times were closer to about 70% faster than AT&T. There's more to it than throughout to a testing website.

8. srowe2003 thread starter macrumors newbie

It "feels" pretty snappy when browsing and I have no trouble streaming from my spotify account. It does seem slower at downloading email attachments or apps as compared to my previous phone.

I'm no where near the data cap. I've barely used 500 mb this cycle.

Just seems odd to me is all :) I plan on checking some page loading speeds with a buddy who is on ATT.

9. tsekh macrumors member

CDMA (both Verizon and Sprint) 3G speeds are indeed rather slow... much slower than AT&T's and T-Mobile's when all of them have good reception. Many people switching from AT&T to Verizon hoping to get better reception and call quality. But if AT&T is good in your area, you should really stay with AT&T. At least until LTE becomes a feasible solution in terms of battery life (hopefully next year or next iPhone iteration).

10. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

At least it's consistent and you can actually make calls without dropping.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not a problem with any of that here with AT&T.
    And I get 5-6mbps download and 1-2 up on the regular.
    I like how some on Verizon get excited with 1mbps down but content with 500kbps :) lol

12. drill423 macrumors member

I'm going to try Verizon out for about a week before I fully make the jump since I have unlimited data on AT&T. AT&T and Verizon have great coverage in Houston but I still have a ton of dropped calls and dead zones. Work is another issue. Looking forward to seeing if Verizon still feels snappy in the real world setting compared to faster speeds on AT&T.

13. srowe2003 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I have been with verizon for quite some time. It's very stable in my area. ATT is hit or miss. Plus I work in a large hospital that has verizon fiber throughout. I have 5 bars of service even when I am 2 floors underground. My ATT friends can't say the same :)

I'll agree CDMA speeds are slower (in my area more stable though) but I guess the thing that got me was the disparity between phones on the same network. I can have someone do a speedtest next to me with a 3G verizon android phone and they will pull 800 to 1.2ish down and I will consistently get 350 to 400 down. On top of that I am so used to seeing upload speeds that are about half of my download speeds .... not the other way around :confused:

As someone else mentioned is this just a speedtest abnormality?

Meh, I'm happy with the phone and the service, haha. It's more of a curiosity than anything else.

14. SoIsays macrumors regular

In the Washington DC area, I normally get around 1.5-2.3 mbps downloads and .8m mbps uploads. There are places where the signal is weak and it ends up being .25/.25 dl/ul but those are rare.

EDIT: I should add that those are speeds for outdoors. In buildings, it's ymmv.

15. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

Yeah it looks like typical CDMA 3G speed, here's what I'm getting on AT&T:

[​IMG]

16. SoIsays macrumors regular

Damn you AT&T!! Haha, here's my Verizon speeds in the DC area. Don't mind the "o" where the 3G would be. I don't get 3G in my office building.

[​IMG]

17. Kevin8316 macrumors newbie

I returned the 4s Verizon phone because I rely on the 3G network where I live. AT&T is much faster if u get a good signal.

18. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

Dial *228, then option 2 to update your PRL as Verizon just released a new one in October.

As least in my area I was getting similar speeds but after the PRL update I'm getting around 1.2Mbps.

19. wordoflife, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

My Verizon 3G speed tests have been:

down / up
    0.44 / 0.63
    1.01 / 0.53
    0.67 / 0.61
    0.67 / 0.60
    0.61 / 0.81

Luckily, it feels faster than what these numbers report.

20. Will69 macrumors regular

PRL? What's that?

21. c5bill macrumors newbie

Preferred Roaming List

PRL = Preferred Roaming List

22. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Unless you live in the boonies, you probably live in a Verizon 4G market by now. If fast data is a priority, get a 4G capable phone.