Slow data speed on AT&T in SF bay area

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moonman239, May 28, 2012.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Yesterday my phone's data connection was really slow. Heck, I tried running speed tests - most of the time, the Speedtest.net app couldn't even get past the first step, pinging the server. The download speeds were somewhere near 0 mbps. Usually I see 2-3 Mbps down.

I think it's because it was Memorial Day weekend. Im going to test the speed again today.

2. beret9987 macrumors regular

I would use Mark the Spot app to report this to ATT. Where was this?

3. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

SF Bay Area Peninsula guy here: very slow speeds here as well. Took forever to connect to sites.

4. hobbes49 macrumors newbie

Same problem here, started on Sunday. I am in SF Peninsula as well. 3G is really slow, 50% of time I get page can't load error.

It was so bad I thought AT&T had throttled my data but that was not the case. Told me to reset my network setting on iPhone 4s but that did nothing.

Odd thing is most of the errors/slowness happen in Safari or when I have to retrieve a web page/file from the internet. Email works fine, and data/updates from apps such as Twitter/Facebook seem to load without a problem. Surfing the web on 3G (or I guess 4G now) is pretty much useless for the last four days.

5. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yesterday, the data seemed to go back to normal speeds. Anyways, should I use "Mark the Spot" to report the data speeds I typically get?

6. pammyspyce macrumors regular

pammyspyce

Mine has been really bad, too. Nothing in Safari would load. I thought it had to do with my new untethered jailbreak but now I'm not so sure. Hmmm.

7. richard371 macrumors 68000

Mine has been terrible both in Palo Alto and SF for the last few days. I have an ATT 4S. I have reset the device and network settings. Sometimes speedtest cannot even find a server and when it does I get 0 download and 0 up. I get server errors when trying to access the web browser at times. Imessage goes to sms often . This is very annoying.

I have the LTE att ipad and switched off the LTE so it is in 4G mode. It has no trouble. Spedtest gets about 2.4Mbps

This is most lily an issue with the iphone since the ipad is fine.

8. dfarrales macrumors newbie

IP4 5.0.1 Jailbroken here. I'm in Sacramento and having the same issues. Wife has the same setup as me and no problems. Was thinking of going to 5.1.1 as a fix but looks like it won't help.

Tried all suggestions (reset network, reboot, airplane mode) with little to no luck.

Thought I was throttled too but I'm only on day 2 of my cycle. This has been going on for 2 days now.

9. richard371 macrumors 68000

I was in an area today in sf 5 bars "4g" trying to find a place on maps and the data wouldn't load. Speedtest wouldn't work, could not get to websites. Been working on and off all day. This is getting very annoying. May try a restore tonight then call AT&T tomorrow to see what they can do.

I'm on 5.1.1 not jail broken.

10. BiggAW macrumors 68020

That's their other notoriously bad market, along with NYC. It's just AT&T. Nothing you can do about it, other than getting an LTE phone with AT&T or Verizon.