Slow, lag on verizon LTE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by atlchamp, Sep 23, 2012.

1. atlchamp macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I have been noticing that with my Verizon iPhone 5 there is sometimes but mostly all the time a lag when i use any data service, like browsing websites or using the facebook app. It lags for a good 5 seconds and then processes the data request. This is my 3rd iPhone 5 and Idk why this is happening to me. Anybody else having this issue?

Thanks

2. Leemz21 macrumors newbie

3. atlchamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes I am in Atlanta and ive switched the phone out 3 times with the same issue!

4. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Interesting, I live in Atlanta, and I've had the iPhone 5 since Friday, and its been very fast for me. I get like 25Mbps on the downlink and 10 on the uplink on average.

5. atlchamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

we are talking about a startup lag...the network is fast as hell when its connected to LTE, but a lot of people are having an issue with it taking 10+ seconds to connect to LTE

6. avanpelt, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

avanpelt macrumors 68020

I am in Atlanta as well.

I have noticed this problem in Midtown, Sandy Springs, and Gwinnett.

I suspect either it is a Verizon network issue (most likely) or many of us in the Southeast got a bad batch of phones.

The problem only happens for me if my phone is locked for more than a minute or two and is only on LTE (not on Wi-Fi). When I unlock the phone, it will take a good 10 seconds for any app to actually start moving data across the LTE network. Once that initial connection lag clears up, the connection is stable and throughput is fantastic until I lock my phone again and it's idle for more than a minute or two.

I have reached out to Verizon support via Twitter (@vzwsupport) and hope to hear something tomorrow. Others have said that demo units of the iPhone 5 in their Verizon stores in the Southeast also have this problem so I think it's fairly widespread in this part of the country.

Interestingly, people have mentioned that when they're testing demo units at a Verizon store, Android LTE phones don't seem to have this problem.

I should mention that in every location I've noticed this issue, I have full (5 bars) LTE signal. There's no doubt that Verizon has us covered with strong signal. I'm confident that this issue will be resolved soon.

7. atlchamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am in gwinnett and have the problem where ever I go....10 second lag then starts to load whatever data product I am using...safari...speedtest app...instagram..facebook etc

8. GuitarDTO macrumors 6502a

Perhaps the mods can merge this with the other thread, and sticky? This issue needs more visibility. And to SGMD1, funny, but if your phone were experiencing this you would be annoyed too.

9. briankeith513 macrumors 6502a

briankeith513

Ah, ok, I'll check on this tomorrow. I live in the Dunwoody/Chamblee area, but I travel in the sandy springs, buckhead, downtown, alpharetta, and decatur areas.

10. atlchamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

mods please pin this thread to the top if you dont mind, this is a huge issue and apple needs to see this asap

11. darster Suspended

It's NOT an APPLE issue. Why do people always think when there is an issue, it's the fault of APPLE? It's happening only in the south on Verizon. Its a VERIZON issue. The rest of the US on Verizon is not, repeat NOT having this issue with their iPhone 5.

12. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

I live in Gwinnett and work in Midtown and Im also experiencing the lag :(

13. atlchamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

ive mostly been seeing atlanta a lot..is this a ATL issue only?

14. jredecop macrumors 6502a

West Texas here and I have the issue.

15. avanpelt macrumors 68020

So far I've seen reports from Texas, Alabama, Georgia, and Florida. Seems to be a higher concentration in Atlanta, Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, and Orlando; but that's not surprising since those are some of the largest population centers in the Southeast. For the most part (with the exception of Texas), this issue seems to be confined to the Southeast.

16. atlchamp thread starter macrumors 6502a

verizon needs to see this

17. avanpelt macrumors 68020

For anyone following this thread but not the other one on this issue, Verizon appears to have fixed this issue. Reports coming in that the issue is resolved from TX to GA to FL. I concur from Gwinnett County, GA.