Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

costaricaapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
hey guys!
just bought my 17" high Res 7200rpm MBP last week and the first 2 days was REALLY slow(cursor,dragging windows, writing, everything... as in slow motion)
now it is fine! suddenly! now everythig has its normal speed!

what was that?????

costaricaapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
;)

seriously... i've had a Powerbook before this and the MBP was dragging!!
i was worried something was wrong and was going to take it to the Apple Store but third day i used it everything is ok.

??????

Well, what did you do immediately before it became fast?

nothing..

third day i start using it and is fine...

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
did u notice nething running in the background? sometimes there is a hell of a lot of crap going.

oh do u use parallels??? its been know to slow everyhting down aswell

costaricaapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
That's weird, so you didn't mess with anything while it was going slow?

no, didnt mess with anything

just turned it on and started using safari... it was a wireless internet but any way the whole computer was slow! not the internet speed....

can it be the wireless????

did u notice nething running in the background? sometimes there is a hell of a lot of crap going.

oh do u use parallels??? its been know to slow everyhting down aswell

no, don't know whats nething or parallels...

magius

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2007
parallels is virtual machines. cant be that then if u dont have it.

and if you don't have it and didn't know it, but now know of it, don't get it just because you know it. I did and it seriously slowed down osx, while also ruining my boot camp partition (even after uninstalling)... i couldn't access my keyboard or mouse in xp and my bootup time ballooned in osx. I ended up formatting everything. though i would like virtualisaion, i don't really want to try parallels again, and am somewhat apprehensive of trying vmware based on my parallels experience...

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
and if you don't have it and didn't know it, but now know of it, don't get it just because you know it. I did and it seriously slowed down osx, while also ruining my boot camp partition (even after uninstalling)... i couldn't access my keyboard or mouse in xp and my bootup time ballooned in osx. I ended up formatting everything. though i would like virtualisaion, i don't really want to try parallels again, and am somewhat apprehensive of trying vmware based on my parallels experience...

LOL that 1st line was that confusing :eek: took me a long time to figure out what u are trying to say. yeap parallels does slow down your machine incredibly, but its wierd. sometimes it works really well and behaves, other times itl freeze while opening up. i havent dont the boot camp thing yet and dont plan on doing it. ive got the BSOD on my xp startup atm neways. have to fix that 1st!

user13

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
I don't know what's wrong with your Parallels. I'm very happy with it, everything works pretty fast...
How much RAM do you have? Maybe there's a memory leak?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
You weren't running off battery for the first 2 days by any chance?

Running off battery causes the laptop to put things like the GPU into power saving mode until they are required.

So Expose and Dashboard might seem a little slow while running on battery. Also, you didn't change the Energy Saving options to Performance on the third day?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.