Slow motion in the middle of a 24p clip

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ghking, Jan 29, 2009.

1. ghking macrumors regular

ghking

hey everyone
    this week i will be filming some BMX biking footage and i need help on getting a slow motion section in a 24p clip. I want to use 24p because it looks the best for this kind of action. But heres what im trying to do:
    I want to record one clip of one trick, and play it at regular speed 24p as the biker approaches the jump, until the actual trick, which i want in as smooth as possible slow motion, then back into regular speed as the rider rides away.
    What is the best way to do this with a DVX100b and FCP?

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Let me see if i get this straight... you just want to slow down the jump/trick etc.
    What i would do is mark in the in/outs point. Drag to the timeline. take the razor blade tool. make cuts on where you want to start and end so it will separate from the beginning of the jump - the middle in which you want to slow down - and the end at regular speed. Right click and adjust the speed setting to the middle click/trick section of the clip. You might have to move down the ride away clip down the timeline just to move it out of the way until your done with setting your speed. Then just move it back..
    Does this make sense?

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you only have one camera and once chance to record the jump then you'll have to go w/what puckhead said, but it won't look very good. The best bet you have w/the DVX is to record in 60i (aka 29.97) and use Motion to convert that to 24p. The resolution will drop because basically you'll convert each interlaced field into it's own progressive frame, but the motion will be much smoother than just slowing down a 24p shot inside FCP.

Lethal

4. ghking thread starter macrumors regular

ghking

yea i was thinking something more like this because 24p slowed down normally looks pretty sketchy. How do i convert 60i to 24p in motion?