Slow speeds with Intel 510 SSD series in MBP Late 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Szmekken, May 30, 2012.

1. Szmekken, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

Szmekken macrumors newbie

I recieved my MBP 2,2 Late 2011 yesterday, and popped in my Intel 510 Series 250 GB SSD. This machine was a replacement for my defective mid 2010.

I figured the SATA 3 speeds would provide me with a decent performace boost, but at this point I have only seen some minor improvements.

The theoretical read and write speeds are 500 and 315 respectively. So far I have only seen a max of 310/170, which is just slightly above what I saw with SATA 2.

The system profile claims a negotiated speed of 6 Gbit/sec, and I formated the drive before I installed Lion.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

2. CocoSS macrumors member

I have an 520 Intel SSD. My speeds are greater than yours. Maybe it is because yours is 510 series while mine is 520.

3. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Your read speeds are above what that drive is specified @ SataII which confirms the drive is working @ SataIII speeds as indicated. What benchmark are you using to provide those figures?

4. Szmekken thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I get the same figures with both Xbench and Black Magic Disk Speed Test.

5. CocoSS macrumors member

6. Szmekken thread starter macrumors newbie

That is a little bit easier said then done, I am afraid :p. Seriously though; might there be something wrong? Or is this simply what I should expect?

Are there not someone with the same drive who are able to shine som light on this?

7. shortcut3d macrumors 65816

Blackmagic Disk Speed Test uses incompressible data so the speeds are always lower than the advertised speed by as much as half.