Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rand3zy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2015
I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find a solution so I'm coming to you guys.

Macbook Pro (13-in, Early 2011)
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB
OS X Yosemite 10.10.1
HDD 500 GB SATA Disk 366.79 GB free of 498.88 GB (last replaced by Apple around Aug 2012)

So out of no where it began to act really strange and become VERY VERY SLUGGISH. So idk what came over me but I downloaded Yosemite; but the problem still persisted. Starts up slow, opens applications really slow, can't even type without getting the pinwheel. And when It goes into sleep, the fan runs real fast and overheats.

I tried everything from: Restarting the laptop, reseting the PRAM, reseting the SMC, doing a clean install, repairing permissions. Nothing works.

I even took it into the Apple store and they were baffled. Ran some diagnostic tests and said it was software.

Could it just be simple as that they're wrong and that I just have a bad hard drive? again?....

Anything helps! thanks

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
If reinstalling OS X dosnt solve the issue it could be the first signs of the hdd failing.

rand3zy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2015
If reinstalling OS X dosnt solve the issue it could be the first signs of the hdd failing.

What is the average lifespan of a HDD? Does it just depend on usage? I feel like it was just the other day that I got it replaced haha. I guess I'm in the market for a new one then. So I hear all this hooplah about SDD. Do they last longer and rub faster? Is that why most people switch over?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
What is the average lifespan of a HDD? Does it just depend on usage? I feel like it was just the other day that I got it replaced haha. I guess I'm in the market for a new one then. So I hear all this hooplah about SDD. Do they last longer and rub faster? Is that why most people switch over?

SSDs run really fast. Boot times of around 11 seconds, instant app launching, lower power usage and it's completely silent. No moving parts. So don't worry about shifting your MBP abruptly while it's active.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Yes.

diegie

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2014
I would also guess that your HDD is giving up. Seen it many times and 8/10 that was the case. Get a Samsung EVO 840 SDD and you'll be surprised how fast your Mac could have gone all those years... ;-)

rand3zy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2015
Thanks guys. I guessed it was my hard drive this whole time because I've been through this kind of thing before kinda. Just thought it was weird the guy at the Apple Store said it was a software issue.

Is the SDD installation pretty easy? Is there a good tutorial somewhere? Because I've seen some horror stories. Just wanna make sure this thing goes smoothly.

Asher133

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2015
Thanks guys. I guessed it was my hard drive this whole time because I've been through this kind of thing before kinda. Just thought it was weird the guy at the Apple Store said it was a software issue.

Is the SDD installation pretty easy? Is there a good tutorial somewhere? Because I've seen some horror stories. Just wanna make sure this thing goes smoothly.

Yeah it's a pretty simple process most SSD companies supply you with the proper tools to safely remove all of the screws but for a tutorial I suggest you use YouTube it should take no more than 15 mins for you to get it all done

diegie

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2014

If you go for a Samsung EVO it is very easy. Just a few screws of the Macbook cover (on the back) and then 2 or 4 screws to remove the HDD and switch for the SSD. Screw everything back together and voila. That's all, very easy :)

And since you have a clean install now on your HDD, use the SSD as an external drive first and make a clone from your HDD onto you SDD with Superduper (free for a clone).

Switch the drives, boot and you're up and running ;-)

austinpike

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
MN
...So idk what came over me but I downloaded Yosemite; but the problem still persisted.
Just to verify, you did a clean install as in backing up your data, putting Yosemite on a bootable USB and wiping your hard drive?

Sorry if that is obvious to you but given you just registered here I thought it worth asking...

rand3zy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2015
Just to verify, you did a clean install as in backing up your data, putting Yosemite on a bootable USB and wiping your hard drive?

Sorry if that is obvious to you but given you just registered here I thought it worth asking...

Yep. It's fine. I'm not really new because I forgot my password and username to my first account ages ago.

But I found the Samsung 850 evo 250gb for $30 less than the 840 on Amazon. Does that sound strange to anyone?

diegie

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2014
Yep. It's fine. I'm not really new because I forgot my password and username to my first account ages ago.

But I found the Samsung 850 evo 250gb for $30 less than the 840 on Amazon. Does that sound strange to anyone?

I see it on Amazon too, but I think it legit. It's a known seller so...
One more thing, when you did a clean install, did you put your "backup" back on it immediately after installing? Or did you try using Yosemite without putting your backup back and was it still slow/sluggish?
One thing you could try to rule out that there is "something" in your backup, is to create a new user and see it the problem is the same. If so, change the HDD :)

rand3zy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2015
I see it on Amazon too, but I think it legit. It's a known seller so...
One more thing, when you did a clean install, did you put your "backup" back on it immediately after installing? Or did you try using Yosemite without putting your backup back and was it still slow/sluggish?
One thing you could try to rule out that there is "something" in your backup, is to create a new user and see it the problem is the same. If so, change the HDD :)

No I tinkered with it for a bit. Just as sluggish. Then I transfered my back up back over and it got even worse haha. Just tried your suggestion with the new user and it's the same situation. But another reason why I'm pretty certain it's the hdd now is the slower start up time.

austinpike

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
MN

gmhag

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
Hey I have the same 13" early 2011 Macbook Pro (except for the 500GB hdd. I have the 3??GB hdd.)

Mine has really started to slow down in the last year or so. I have the memory cleaner program that always tells me how much memory I had available and it was usually below 10%. I read an article over on BGR titled "How to make your 4 year old Macbook Pro run like 'Brand New' for $170". It recommended upgrading the memory to 8GB and the hard drive to SSD (i'm sure this is obvious to some).

I took baby steps and just upgraded the 4GB memory to 8GB and wow, what a difference. Not saying that is your problem but if you are cracking open the back you might as well upgrade to 8GB since it is so easy. The memory cost around $70. I regret not doing it sooner.

rand3zy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2015
Alright let me update you guys on what's been going on. (More issues)

I bought the Samsung sad 850 evo off amazon and plugged the bad boy in. Booted from the Yosemite installer I made on a usb drive. Made a new partition on the Samsung drive. Went to install the os on the new ssd drive and I get an error.

It tells me That OS x can not be installer on the computer and that there was an error and I should restart. I restart and go through the process again and I get the same issues. So I try and repair the ssd drive and I get another error

Any wise pieces if advice? Am I doing something wrong?

austinpike

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
MN
Try searching for info on "macbook pro bad sata cable." Seems to be a not uncommon issue. Seems unlikely to me that an internal cable would spontaneously fail, but if so it could also explain your original issue.

vince22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2013
Alright let me update you guys on what's been going on. (More issues)

I bought the Samsung sad 850 evo off amazon and plugged the bad boy in. Booted from the Yosemite installer I made on a usb drive. Made a new partition on the Samsung drive. Went to install the os on the new ssd drive and I get an error.

It tells me That OS x can not be installer on the computer and that there was an error and I should restart. I restart and go through the process again and I get the same issues. So I try and repair the ssd drive and I get another error

Any wise pieces if advice? Am I doing something wrong?

could it be memory/sata cable going bad?

rand3zy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2015
the reason why I don't believe its the sata cable is because when I hook up my hdd, the comp boots up just fine

I think it was something wrong with the OS X installer. So I re-did that step and created a new OS X installer on a usb drive. Solved the problem but now its telling me that the SSD is locked. I try and re-partition it and it comes up with error.

austinpike

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
MN
the reason why I don't believe its the sata cable is because when I hook up my hdd, the comp boots up just fine...
But you said the original issue is that the Macbook became sluggish out of nowhere. If the SSD is also having issues, that could point to the cable being bad, the problem just manifests slightly differently with the HD vs the SSD.

Can you easily disconnect the Superdrive and try the HD and/or SSD connected to that? See if it makes a difference. (I've never worked on a 13" so I don't know for sure, but it looks like you could do that temporarily for testing.)

rand3zy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2015
Maybe I should specific the error. I'm getting the same file system formatter failed error during the mounting step.

When I try and partition I get:
Partition failed
Partition failed with the error
File system formatter failed

Same error when I try and erase

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.