Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Now I have an S20+ and Watch Active 2 and she has the S20 and Galaxy Fit

All I now have left is the iPhone 11, iPad Pro 11 and Watch.

I love the watch and it works well for me so I need to have an iPhone just for that reason, but having said that, a phone is a phone for me, they all do the exact same things I need whether IOS or Android. The price for Android phones I would want is in the same area so nothing compelling me to drop the iPhone/Watch.

As far as anything macOS goes, after 20 years of Apple desktops/laptops, I am purely Windows since selling my last device on eBay this weekend.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
@OP

Bon voyage! Yeah, we're creatures of comfort and convenience. 5 Years ago, I was still quite into my iPod Touch 5, iPad Air, and iPod Classic. I stopped updating the former 2, while the latter I haven't set up my replacement unit. Times definitely change. I use Androids and Windows, so I have very little in the Apple ecosystem.

"I was an Android person for many years until a girl I dated demanded I switch to IOS for FaceTime or she'd leave"

lol.....seriously?
I'm guessing b/c this is a message forum, and that's what we do here?

"I was an Android person for many years until a girl I dated demanded I switch to IOS for FaceTime or she'd leave"

lol.....seriously?
Don't be too surprised. Quite a few people have switched platforms precisely because of family and friends!

Reactions: sracer and jamezr

Mauro Marcenaro

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2020
I've slowly been switching away from Apple products. The R&D is stale, the walled garden is getting annoying, and they're falling way behind in features. I'm down to 3 Apple Products left.

- I've had a long history of MacBooks, and I'm done. I recently switched over to a Lenovo X1 Extreme Gen 2 with i9, 64Gb RAM, 2x 1TB SSD, and WiFi 6 AX. With a 4k touchscreen OLED that gets 100% Adobe RGB, the screen is gorgeous. I have ports again: HDMI, Ethernet, USBC, USB3.1A, Kensington, SD Card, headphone, SmartCard. No more dongle dumpster fire. My Wacom 2048point pen is fantastic for drawing with multiple buttons for custom settings. I can replace my RAM, SSD, WiFi, clean the fans, change the battery, all with a phillips screwdriver. I've bought and enabled CompuTrace in the BIOS, allowing deeper theft protection that Apple doesn't have. Yes, battery life is WAY down, but I'm rarely far from a charger for that long. Macbooks are stale, I don't care what you say about resale value.

- I sold my Apple Watch, and went back to normal ones. I enjoyed my mechanical automatics, and the look of skeletal frames. I appreciate not having to plug it in daily, or really push myself to close the rings. My Wahoo Roam records all my exercise with HR strap. If Apple changed from square to other designs, and opened up custom faces, I could consider going back. I also really want a VO2 Max sensor like you'll see in Garmin watches.

- AirPods Pro, the recent firmware updates are increasingly reducing their function for me. The noise cancel was great, but I find it more annoying with the touch and hold vs the tap tap of the originals. They've now started a cracking noise which is documented all over this site. With many other competitors catching up, not seeing the benefits anymore.

- Apple TV, I don't think I'll change this one. It's still hands down the best device for streaming content. My TV has all the services I use built in, but trying to use DPAD on remote is impossible vs voice entry. Roku is slow. I'll probably never depart from this.

- iCloud. I've stopped paying for space. My O365 account comes with 1TB and I sync the photos and files seamlessly to my OneDrive. My iCloud just holds my iPhone backup now. OneDrive works better with Office documents, and I just find it a better experience.

- TV+, Arcade, News: I never really thought to buy into these services, and never will. They don't appeal to me.

- I sold my iPhone 11 Pro Max, and went back to my iPhone SE 1. I missed a phone that fit in the hand, works via fingerprint which is a bonus in these mask wearing days, sunglasses and bike helmet wearing. Yes the battery is really bad, and the camera is marginal, but it gets the job done. I don't have to stretch the fingers to work the keyboard, and using SwiftKey, I can text without looking at phone again. If only it was water-resistant and had Qi.

I've been thinking for a while of dumping the iPhone and AirPods and going back to Android. I was an Android person for many years until a girl I dated demanded I switch to IOS for FaceTime or she'd leave, so I switched. (For clarification, 10 out of 10 natural green eyed redhead, my Achilles heel) I still have an Apple Card I'd have to cancel, and some apps that I'd have to figure out, but otherwise not much holding me back. I miss the creativity of manufacturers, the open environment, rooting for features, custom ROMS. I've got a long history over at XDA. I'm tempted to hold off for these "Apple glasses", as I was a user of Google Glass and really enjoyed them.

I switched to iPhone for a girl but at the time fragmentation was a mess in Android, cases for iPhones were easier to find, and being forced to one form-factor provided an easier app experience. Nowadays cases can be found for any phone, USBC is more available, and apps are pretty seamless one to the other. I wouldn't need adapters for my battery banks, laptop, plug a flash drive into a phone. The Windows "Your Phone" app is solid for texting via laptop. I can install Firefox, set it as a default browser and have it sync to laptop. I'd still recommend an iPhone for my parents, and folks that need that ease of use, but Android opens the door to endless possibilities with styling, features, specs, colors, and more.

I added some pics from my past, 3 of my nexus phones at once, and my old G4 and Macbook Pro which I has custom engraved by laser. I go back with both Apple and Android simultaneously. When I bough my iPhone 3G, I was quoted and photographed in the local news for being the idiot first in line at an ATT store overnight waiting. When I bought my Verizon Droid, it was the first real Android 2.0. Oh I miss that sliding keyboard. I had an HP iPod, a Mini, a Nano, a Touch, and a Shuffle. I've had an iPad, a Mini, and a Pro. I've owned all 3 versions of AirPods. I miss my sexy black MacBook from college.

After all my years and support of both Apple and Android, and Mac and Windows, I've reached the point where I'm ready to cut off Apple. This isn't a rant, it's not a vent. It's a goodbye letter to a company I loved, one who has lost it's "think different" by making everything the same.

good 101%

apple is not assembling device but desire for idiot , in next 5 ys will be the end of an history, now all pc assembler do nice device , apple made keyboard fake for 3 ys hot cpu .. and all happy , to gift money to desire factory, this is a psytic operation, with arm apple will close the business
last mbp 2019 , Apple cannot made a good device in 8 month ?? mini display .. MSI did one a month ago, ..

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I knew I was going to migrate away from iPhone once the S20 came out, so I migrated everything over time.

I still have Apple products (MacBook/iMac/iPad) but I've ditched the iPhone, and everything I use is now open source and/or at least cross-platform.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Today I handed in my last Apple tools to the head gardener. I sold my 2013 Macbook Pro and my iPhone SE original. The Macbook Pro provided me with seven years of trouble free service but it was time to retire it as the magsafe cable has been held together with tape for the past three years and the screen coating is starting to peel in the top left corner. My iPhone SE has been gathering dust since I bought my Samsung Galaxy S10e nine months ago.

So my current setup is the Samsung phone and a Samsung Galaxy Tab A tablet which I purchased seven months back. I dropped Apple Music some time ago and am now in my third year of Spotify Premium.

Note: As the gardener examined and inventoried the laptop and phone, he sighed, wiped some moisture from his eyes, and said "If only those *******s in Cupertino cared enough to make things with this quality today". Mumbling, he then went to deal with the next person in a growing line of people handing over Apple tools.

JSRinUK

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
Greater London, UK
I’m mostly a Windows user, primarily because cost prevented me from exploring Apple products. Slowly I’ve been able to explore Apple products. I’m not massively aware of the history of Apple products but, what I see I generally like (apart from cost).

I don’t see me ever moving away from Windows - there’s just too much I do on my Windows machines that I don’t see viable/affordable options for on Apple products. Maybe that’ll change as I explore more, but it’s not a rush.

For me it’s about taking the best of what’s available and using that. There are some things I prefer about Apple over the alternatives, but they’re not enough to make me turn my back on the alternatives. And there are some things I prefer with the alternatives over Apple, but that won’t prevent me from exploring Apple.

It doesn’t need to be “either one or the other”, it can be “both”. It’s great that we have choice.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Issue if android options with smart watch, tablet, computer wasn’t so poor compared to apples offering then I can see the appeal in switching but right only the only thing as good as the iPhone or better is in androids phone offerings

No smart watch compared to the Apple Watch and no tablet compares to the iPad that’s the issue for me

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
That line may growing, but the line of people getting Apple tools in their life is growing faster than those handing them over.
I don't know about that. There are no lines anymore when a new iPhone is released.
I'd say many are over Apple but yes there are still the loyalists.....like yourself for example.
Apple is doing nothing new that I haven't already had for years.
In the grand scheme of things, who really cares who is switching where? Choice is good and there is plenty of it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don't know about that. There are no lines anymore when a new iPhone is released.
I'd say many are over Apple but yes there are still the loyalists.....like yourself for example.
Apple is doing nothing new that I haven't already had for years.
In the grand scheme of things, who really cares who is switching where? Choice is good and there is plenty of it.
Absolutely I’m an iphone loyalist (as opposed to being an android loyalist I suppose)

Nobody knows the true churn rate. It happens and should happen. I’m pointing out that based on Apples recent financials there seems to be evidence the masses aren’t moving from Apple.

Just to even out the opinions, I don’t see android having any draw for me and they don’t seem to be doing anything new either.

But to each their own. Good that consumers have much choice across the landscape of mobile phones.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Absolutely I’m an iphone loyalist (as opposed to being an android loyalist I suppose)

Nobody knows the true churn rate. It happens and should happen. I’m pointing out that based on Apples recent financials there seems to be evidence the masses aren’t moving from Apple.

Just to even out the opinions, I don’t see android having any draw for me and they don’t seem to be doing anything new either.

But to each their own. Good that consumers have much choice across the landscape of mobile phones.
True that, much to choose from and Android,.... I'm not sure they are doing much different as I don't try and keep up anymore, but their OS is already so far ahead of iOS in that when others switch to Android, they notice the difference.

Seems iMessage is Apples saving grace as why some don't want to switch. And I don't get that,.. It's just a message app.

My Wife has a iPad and it a good device but it irritates me when I use it. It won't even rotate horizontal to the bigger screen when watching YouTube and it has the rotation checked on.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
True that, much to choose from and Android,.... I'm not sure they are doing much different as I don't try and keep up anymore, but their OS is already so far ahead of iOS in that when others switch to Android, they notice the difference.

Seems iMessage is Apples saving grace as why some don't want to switch. And I don't get that,.. It's just a message app.

My Wife has a iPad and it a good device but it irritates me when I use it. It won't even rotate horizontal to the bigger screen when watching YouTube and it has the rotation checked on.
The more I use Apple products with my wife and my extended family, I find it's not just iMessage. It's the whole ecosystem. It's just so sophisticated at this point.

Reactions: I7guy and Oohara

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Green eyed redheads are .04% of ALL humans, a 10/10 babe is probably 5% of those. Considering what I was dealing with...oh yes I was definitely serious. ?
LOL. I would wait. Play the field. No telling who you might meet and what will be required of you in the future.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
For years, I have tried to 'leave' Apple. All too often within months returning.
Apple products work well and even more so, integrate well, too.

Merely my opinion. Alas, good luck with your switch.

Reactions: Nightfury326

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Android has some capabilities, eg true file system, that ios lacks. But as @AustinIllini noted, ios is more sophisticated than android due to the coherence of the ecosystem...at least in my opinion and of course YMMV.

You don't get imessage and I don't get why a file system is needed. To each their own.

Youtube on the ipad works differently than youtube on the iphone. I don't have any issue rotating youtube on my ipad, when switching from portrait to landscape or back.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
I agree.

In addition, I do wish Apple offered 'true' or 'real' (any word of your choosing) multitasking.
Sometimes, I am watching a video on YouTube (via the YouTube app), from my iPad, and might want to check my email at the same time...

Android has some capabilities, eg true file system, that ios lacks. But as @AustinIllini noted, ios is more sophisticated than android due to the coherence of the ecosystem...at least in my opinion and of course YMMV.

You don't get imessage and I don't get why a file system is needed. To each their own.

Youtube on the ipad works differently than youtube on the iphone. I don't have any issue rotating youtube on my ipad, when switching from portrait to landscape or back.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I agree.

In addition, I do wish Apple offered 'true' or 'real' (any word of your choosing) multitasking.
Sometimes, I am watching a video on YouTube (via the YouTube app), from my iPad, and might want to check my email at the same time...
While ipados, improved in ios 14 betas is not "true" or "real", you should still be able to run for example, youtube with mail or safari or what in split-view (or whatever it's called). And interestingly it seems videos keep playing in task view mode.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
You don't have to look too closely around this forum to see the way it is turning into a wash of issues threads.

As much as I love being here, don’t think even for one nanosecond that posts here at MacRumors represent the rest of the Apple using world.

Posts posted here represent views of folk who post here. Period. Just because you may see a few posts about issue X, don’t kid yourself that issue X is actually really a thing outside of here.

Not saying nothing posted here is irrelevant, just that you cannot ascertain user sentiment from MR (or any online forum for that matter) alone.

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
Good points! I keep forgetting about that split view option.
Need to look into that. Thanks

While ipados, improved in ios 14 betas is not "true" or "real", you should still be able to run for example, youtube with mail or safari or what in split-view (or whatever it's called). And interestingly it seems videos keep playing in task view mode.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

To be honest I think software is android problem more than it’s a strength. Hardware wise android flagships are fantastic it’s the software which lets it down for me in a few key areas.

Notifications- no matter what you do they never arrive on time and just spam your phone when you unlock it

Notifications limit- for whatever reason there is a limit on how many notifications you can get for one app and once it reaches its limit you have to delete notifications to get new ones through

Both of the above are massive drawbacks for me. Security updates are great on android but android updates if want the latest straight away you need to buy a new phone

Still the syncing between devices is not at the level of apple and chances are never will be

So I would say software is why people will always buy iPhones even the 1k ones. I would also say apps are better supported on IOS

Spec wise? Android is the best without question in terms of features but for mr software there are clear issues there

iMessage is just an added bonus how it works with other devices is the real pull for apple users

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I'm no longer loyal to any platform - which I see as the best way forward. All of my cloud docs/photos/contacts/calendars are now in platform-independant systems. I'm not reliant on hardware/software from any one provider. I'm kinda lucky in this regard though, since my day job involves running a VMWare cluster, I use VMWare at home too, so it was relatively simple for me to spin up a VM running OwnCloud, which means all of my data lives safely back on-prem (which, after a massive fight with iCloud Drive and iCloud Photo Library, and recent privacy issues with Google's cloud photo storage is a relief).

I much prefer knowing that my data is upstairs at home, fully encrypted, tied into my ldap server with 2fa. So to access my files, someone would need to brute force my owncloud login (which, after 5 failed attempts, is locked via ldap until I use the console to unlock it) and pass my 2fa auth. I like to think the chance of someone guessing a random 32 character password in 5 attempts AND breaking 2fa is pretty much nil. And there's no secret question/password recovery process to bypass it, nor google/apple support staff to use in a social engineering attack. Want to reset my password? You'll need the root console password and physical access to my machine via a dedicated management switch which isn't connected to the rest of my network, along with a machine with a known MAC address to actually connect to it. Good luck with that.

I like it this way. I can still use my Macs, along with an android phone, and I think my next computer is going to be a linux-friendly laptop.

I have noticed some downsides - as The Game says, apps on Android seem to be less polished than their equivilents on iOS, but in terms of hardware the S20 blows my iPhone out of the water.

The only thing I've had to give up is iMessage, which hasn't been a problem, as pretty much everybody uses whatsapp anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: alex cochez
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.