Small 3G dead zone, would HSPA+ help? (AT&T)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stankonia, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Stankonia macrumors regular

I am currently on AT&T but with the iPhone 5 coming out, I am trying to decide whether to switch to Verizon or not. I was set on switching until I saw the news about no voice/data simultaneously on Verizon, so now I am considering staying.

My only major complaint with AT&T is that my 3G signal at work is absolutely horrible, so calls always drop and data is basically unusable. It's weird since coverage is great everywhere else in town except for the few blocks around where I work, so I guess I am in a small dead zone even though the coverage map doesn't show any gaps.

Since the iPhone 4S and 5 can use HSPA+, is it likely that I might notice an improvement in my signal after upgrading from 4 to 5? Or would a small 3G dead zone indicate HSPA+ would probably be weak in that area as well?

Unfortunately no one I work with has a 4S, so I can't check on my own. It's so hard to decide between switching to Verizon for LTE or sticking with AT&T to keep my unlimited data and hope for a better signal with a new phone :eek:

2. KPOM macrumors G5

No. HSPA+ runs off the 3G network (even though AT&T calls it 4G).