Small but growing number of churches refuse to perform civil marriages

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Dec 20, 2007.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is a different approach.

http://www.chicagofreepress.com/node/986

2. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I think it's fantastic. Bet you they'll be voting for Al Franken for Senate!!!

3. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Regarding the above two posts- what exactly do both of you mean? Snarky comments aren't really a clear way of communicating your POV.

5. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, unfortunately there aren't a whole lot of churches that would do this. Is it that you're against equal marriage rights and that you think this church is wrong or is it that you agree with them and think more should be doing the same? I'm still not clear on your stance.

7. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

No snarky comment from me, I love the attitude of the church in question. From what I can gather, everyone is equal in god's eyes, so the church is correct to say that until gay marriage is legal then they shouldn't do civil marriages for anyone.

The Al Franken comment was to show my support for Al who believes in gay marriage, and would make a far better senator than Norm Coleman.

Hope that cleared up my point of view.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

What, is his stance not wide enough for you? :eek:

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Thanks, I wasn't exactly sure what you were saying. Usually when people mention Al, it isn't to be nice. ;)

Haha! Nope. :)

10. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

I just totally misread the whole quote. What a fool i am.

For the record i am strongly for equal marriage rights, and am clearly too quick to post before i've actually read the said article properly, and not under the influence of brandy. It's Christmas.

11. mpw Guest

Par for the course around here a lot of the time, don't worry about it.

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Mmm...brandy. I understand. I'm the last person to criticize anyone for drunk posting. :)

13. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I'm a huge fan of Al :). Oh, for the record I was a big fan of Paul Wellstone. I was gutted when that moron Norm Coleman took over his senate seat after his tragic death.

14. lil'homunculus macrumors regular

lil'homunculus

was that YOUR FOOT encroaching from the adjoining cubicle this morning??!!???!!!:eek:

15. Queso macrumors G4

You suddenly getting that too are you? That Larry Craig has a lot to answer for!! :mad:

Yay for these churches BTW. My "faith" in humans not all being twunts is momentarily boosted :)

16. lil'homunculus macrumors regular

lil'homunculus

there seems to be a lot of 'wide stances' out there, and i aint't talkin' only about feet...:mad:

17. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Considering the fact that the UCC "legalized" gay marriage a few years ago, it isn't surprising to see some backlash from conservative churches. This isn't just a statement on gay marriage in general, but more of a way of peacefully protesting the decision of the national leadership to endorse gay marriage.

18. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

What are you talking about?

19. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

What???

20. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

I think he is referring to the United Church of Christ, whose General Synod adopted "Equal Marriage Rights for All" on July 4, 2005. Link.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well I think gay marriages in the eyes of the law should be equal. The church as every right to refuse to do them. Like it or not they do have biblical backing stating that gay marriages are wrong. Some where in Acts and the old testament is where the backing is.

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Are you referring to something else, because most of the article was about liberal churches making the protest for gay rights.

I was wondering when someone might do this, but I don't think it goes far enough. They could claim not allowing it denies their religious freedom, since there are those who support it. If it's not about religion, and is a separate civil issue, there is no argument against it. If it still is for some religions who are against it, there can be a caveat where no religious institution or individual can be forced to provide marriage services. Which there kind of is now. Sort of like the, "we reserve the right to deny service" any other business now can employ.

23. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

:D You made the same mistake I did!