Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Ok, I decided I'm going to get a Digital Camera for xmas. I realized I would only take it out to take pictures if it was convenient and easy to use.

Can you guys help me pick out some small digital cameras? I'm lookin for 3.0MP or more, and at LEAST 2.0x Optical zoom.

Any reccomendations?

I was going to get that Olympus C-740 with the 10x optical zoom. It would be cool to take photos of stuff with, but for being out with friends and stuff, its a little big.

uhlawboi80

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2002
houston
ive been looking for the same thing..but i find it hard to get anything with a high MP rating and a zoom thats small enough to stuff in a pocket and just run about with.

im thinking of just getting the sony DSC-U50. it has no zoom but its 2 MP and tiny...the 2MP is better than alot of those small flat cameras which is what i was looking at.

of course i may opt for a slightly larger camera since as of next week my cell phone will only weigh 2.8 ounces :p

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I have the canon digital eplh s230, i love it 3.2 mp and a really great size. Take a look at what canon offers.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Fuji finepix 2600 or 2650, i have the 2600 its 2 megapixels and has 3x optical zoom and 2.5 digital zoom. anyways it has been a great litttle camera. go to steves digicams for some really great info and great reviews. i did before i bought this fuji and have been very happy with it. In fact my stepson liked it so much we bought a 2650 for him. 2600 and 2650 are the same except for memory.

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
fuji's are great, got mine 2 and a half yrs ago and it's still great
don't know if the current ones are small enough for you though
sony makes really nice ones pretty small too, my friend got one 6 months ago 3 megapixels 3x optical for $350 i'm sure they've come down in price and there's a totally different model out by now

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
Another vote for Canon, but for the PowerShot A80. Small enough to be taken everywhere without sacrificing performance or features. Unlike others in its class, the LCD display pops out, swivels, and rotates -- very convenient for those over-the-heads-of-others shots and other occasions.

Unlike the S45/S50 with a sliding lens cover, the A80 uses an internal cover that quickly opens and closes with the power button.

Another very good feature: it uses standard AA batteries. You can buy your rechargeable ones if you want. No more having to carry the charger on long trips.

waitingforG5

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2003
I would recommend checking out the canon s400 it seems to be a great camera. If you want to spend a little less then there's the sd100 which is also seems to be a great camera. dpreview is a great place to look for camera reviews.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i have the elph 230 and i love it. fits in my pocket and takes great pictures.

iJon

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Loving my Pentax Optio S (3.2MP). Super small -- it fits inside an Altoids tin -- and takes remarkably good photos. It's on sale for $299 HERE.

insidedanshead

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
I just got a powershot sd-10. my number one priority was size.. so i could fit it comfortably in my pocket. this is perfect. if you NEED zoom though .. then forget it.. but i never use it so this cams perfect. great quality.. great pics.. i like to take it to the bar with me and take snap shots of all the good times..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.