Small hairline scratches ~5 cm on bottom of MBP, barely visible but annoying

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Baloney1011, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Baloney1011 macrumors member

My 15" MBP is a week old and I once put it down on top of a case and moved it around, and the zipper thing scratched the bottom leaving some tiny scratches. I imagine they're probably very easy to remove but how would I go about doing it? I've seen lots of threads about this but most of them were for scratches on the MBP screen. What about the actual aluminum surface?

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Be more careful next time, it's just aluminum. Curious...do you often gaze longingly at the underside of your laptop? Or do you actually use it as intended?

3. bill-p macrumors 65832

There is no real remedy for the aluminum body once it's damaged. The scratch is permanent.

Scratches on screen are also permanent regardless of what they say, so do be careful if you want your computer to look pristine.

4. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, that's... sort of what I do... :eek:

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Could have saved yourself a lot of money by taking a picture...

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You could try some auto body shop. Or buy a new bottom case.

Honestly, I think a lot of people bought the wrong device here. A $300 Toshiba would be much more suitable for some, they wouldn't care so much about scratches and other issues, and can just buy a new one if it gets old or damaged. If the Apple price tag prevents someone from properly using and enjoying their machine, then they should have bought a cheaper alternative.

7. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean? I don't understand...

Sorry for being a fool.

8. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

So...scratches on the underside of a laptop prevents someone from "properly using and enjoying their machine"...what are you people doing with your laptops!? They're machines, not art pieces.

----------

If you mostly just look at your laptop, you could have taken a picture of one and admired that and saved yourself the $1500.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

He means if you just had a photo of a MBP, you'd have saved yourself a lot of money. That way you can gaze upon the photo of the bottom of the MBP and not see any scratches.

10. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Perhaps you've forgotten you're in an Apple forum, where people drive themselves crazy as they desperately seek perfection, acceptance, and the fulfillment of being viewed as "cool". It's all about vanity :)

Me? I'm one of the lucky ones, my Macs are nothing more than tools I use to get the job done.

11. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

Well... not really. IMO, a Mac is a sculpture and not a computer, in the same way that the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione is a work of art, and not a car.

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I couldn't agree more. There's something to be said for taking care of one's possessions, but many people are overly OCD about it.

13. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but that has got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. A Mac is a computer. It is a tool. It is meant to be used. Just because my screwdriver is made from one of the rarest metal's on earth and made to look pristine clean doesn't make it any less of a tool.

Now with that said, I totally understand why you'd be upset over that scratch. Mac's are ******** expensive and, once I get my Mac, I'm going to get a sleeve and try my best to keep it in tip-top shape, like I do with all my Apple products. If someone keyed my fictional Bugatti Veyron, I'd be pissed.

But I repeat, just because I want to keep it in tip-top shape doesn't make it an art piece that needs to be cherished.

14. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Well said.

I take good care of mine, yet I don't baby them. As a result they perform well, and return long lasting service life.

Cheers... :)

15. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

[​IMG]

16. Nychot macrumors 6502a

For my mbp i bought an orange hard cover for top and bottom and it perfectly protects and looks great in that color. Cost $18. Plus when i sell it it wont have a scratch. I have no need to look at the aluminum. I bought the mac as a work tool. For art i have art.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

[​IMG]

Scratches! A lot of them!

OMG! WHAT AM I TO DO?

I know! Let's make it worse!

[​IMG]

18. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

Um... yes, but, babying your computer isn't going to make it not perform well. Computers are not children and you can't exactly spoil them... am I missing the point?

----------

LOL, well, sorry, but, I am being serious. I'm OCD, I guess. Very very OCD. But when I pay $2,500 for a computer and it gets scratched in a week... shouldn't I be just a little pissed?

19. Thnkdifferent macrumors member

Thnkdifferent

One could only imagine the speed decrease you must have experienced after you noticed the scratches. Might as well go buy a new one... ;)

20. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

YES, those are exactly like the scratches I have! I guess you can't remove them, can you. It's just that I've never been face to face with such a horrible reality!! :cry:

21. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

It's not all about "speed," you know! Especially the fact that you're buying a Mac shows that you're not too interested in extreme performance. Do you want to drive in a keyed car???

22. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Respectfully I'm not being critical of your position, just trying to lighten things up a bit.

You have every right to feel the way you do. Yes scratches are quite unfortunate. However if you take into consideration it's on the bottom, it could be _much_ worse. Some here have dropped and bent theirs. It happens.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well my car does have a lot of scratches on it. It's even got a dent in the door from someone side swiping and then disappearing.

24. Baloney1011 thread starter macrumors member

Don't say that!!! <shudder> :D

25. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Unless some grit gets in between the case and the computer and then you'll have one that looks worse than if it never had a cover at all. It's all subjective.