Small iPhone 5 screen scratch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by choffy, Nov 2, 2012.

1. choffy macrumors member

choffy

It's nitpicky, but I noticed the other day that there's a small scratch on my iPhone. The more I use the phone, the more I've began to notice it, and it's really beginning to bug me. It's practically invisible when locked, but when the screen turns on, you can see a streak created from the GRB pixels (if that makes sense).

Obviously I'm not going to pay for a full screen replacement for a small scratch but I'm wondering if there are any make-shift tips for removing light scratches (can't even feel it while running my fingernail over the glass).

I did a little research and I'm hesitant to use toothpaste, and I'd rather not have to bring out a full-fledged buffer for a .5" thin scratch. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

You can't polish it. It's the coatings that are scratched anyway. it would only make it worse. :(
    Most that don't use screen protectors, don't care about scratches.

A screen protector will cover up small scratches and prevent further issues.

3. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

My guess is (and I do a lot of auto-detailing) you will end up doing more damage to the glass than good by trying to "buff it out". There's a coating on there that you're likely to mess up if you try to fix it.

I would recommend hitting yourself over the head repeatedly to try to forget the scratch is there.*

*don't do this.

4. kalexn macrumors 6502

I had a scratch on my iPad and got a ghost armor screen protector put on it. It makes the scratch basically invisible. I only can find it because I know exactly where it is.