Small monitor to upgrade from 2006 Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by filmbuff, Nov 2, 2018.

1. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

It's almost time to upgrade from my 2012 Macbook Air but that means I need to upgrade my monitor too. I'm currently using a 20" Cinema display from 2006. That's not a typo, I'm using a 13 year old computer monitor as my main setup. It has really vivid colors and it's easy on the eyes, and it also looks great on my desk. I hate the way all these black plastic monitors look. But anyway, it's probably time to upgrade. I'd like something smaller (maybe 23" or less?) for my small desk. It also needs to be able to charge a Macbook Pro through USB-C because of the port situation.

Pic of my desk for reference/proof. I'm trying to keep the clean look.

IMG_6812.jpg

2. biopig macrumors regular

LG UltraFine 4K, it’s perfect as a small display. Although it’s a little bit pricey at its tier. Nowadays there’s no metal frame display anymore, even white phones have black bezels. But good news is, bezels are much slimmer, and color in black makes them even less noticeable, which I think is a very good reason for them to turn black.

3. LiveM macrumors 65816

LiveM

Nothing unusual there. They are still very popular and hard to beat, especially as they have anti-reflective screens and, as you say, look great (neither of which is true for subsequent versions).

4. filmbuff thread starter macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Thanks for the suggestion, that's the one I'm going to get. You're right they're pricey but I see a lot of them used on ebay for $350ish which seems like a pretty good deal for a compact 4k monitor.

Yeah I would just keep using it. It is showing its age unfortunately. There is some really bad ghosting any time you switch windows, and it also takes a minute to come up to full brightness when you turn it on. I think once I switch to a retina MBP the screen difference is going to bother me too much to keep using it.

5. LiveM macrumors 65816

LiveM

It does take time for this kind of panel to reach full brightness, that is true.