Smaller boxes and flatter windows?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vpro, Jun 10, 2013.

1. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Smaller boxes and windows, flatter worlds and sharper vision on tinier view surfaces. This is the way the world of tech is headed. Taking your real life, HUGE world experiences and compressing it into trillions of tiny pixels. We scroll through flatter icons and simplified worlds, than take a stroll in the park and regard each other as great beings... We improve so much inside these machines to improve our lives because deep down we live pathetic lives maybe, that we need all these improvements out there but just make our lives 'seem more rich'???

What do you think about that?

Kids are no longer encouraged to run outside or have field trips to the parks, forests and wetlands etc etc. They rarely touch, feel and experience their world, they just tap a few icons and rotate a few more still images from their very animated world, to get a giggle which resonates the same in every other giggle. But the giggle from a child living in the forest, desert or on a mountain, their giggle has a resounding depth, they honor the land, air and water. They connect with each other face to face, not over facetime or any ol'time to just giggle about other people's "so yesterday's hair style"...

Each time these conferences come along, every year - I am reminded of our humanity and how we become more in harmony with the world we live in as opposed to getting more in sync and in harmony with the devices pushed in our faces everyday - made possible by cheap oil...

This is a good time to reflect on real life and what that really means to us, forget battery life extension, how do we extend our treasured lives, our precious connections with the world we live in, all the people and animals? How do we go on?

Really, really watching these conferences really feels like these people live comfortably in a tiny box, they can point, click and swipe within such tiny surfaces and get such a thrill. But then walk into life and be totally unaware, be completely at a loss if not for their gadgets and AI's reminding them of "things". Government controlling more of the content, so eventually drone warfare isn't just on other countries but in our very backyards? It is more probable than a new retina display mac book air people... Think about it...

Happy WWDC 2013, or is it?

Thank you.

2. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Oh man, I thought you were talking about something completely different. :eek: I was going to suggest that would be a completely inappropriate topic to discuss. However, I see that you were talking about something I kind of agree with. I try to always encourage my son to go outside and play. TV, games, game systems, etc. are only for limited use. Go have fun! I agree!

3. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Technology is compelling, addictive, and highly enjoyable. Does it take the place of communing with your natural surrounds, absolutely not, but I can see a day when people get their heads hard wired for communication, access to information, and entertainment. If they can, they will.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think we've been living pretty pathetic lives as long as this species has existed.

5. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

6. vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

Thanks community!

Thank you for your private messages of inspiration, motivation and encouragement - very engaging bunch you all are for commenting too, thanks I so appreciate it.

Technology is used in every which way, I love that it is being used to spread vital information and inspiring entertainment, not just for mindless economic domination purposes, or to rumour about people who don't always smell like CK-1.

Love the outdoors more and interact in real time more often too.

Thank you!

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Even with the advances of modern technology, no one has yet found a way to live in anything but "real time". Time passes today just as it has for thousands of years, from one moment to the next.

In those thousands of years people have spent time indoors and outdoors. Neither condition changes that flow of time or guarantees fulfillment. One can find contentment indoors as well as out.

I try not to worry too much about either state. Sometimes I am in and sometimes I am out. And in either case I try to maintain an equal degree of mindfulness. So thank you for the advice, but I trust myself to live my life as I see fit, moment to moment

8. vpro thread starter macrumors 65816

vpro

Well put.

Thank you - I also feel the same, I think it is because I'm an artist - that I try and promote, advocate and engage my audience at all times, in every possible moment to be sincerely excited about, to fully grasp and partake in their authentic creative moments gifted to them in life. To spread the motivation and momentum, either sitting down indoors or out, dancing or resting, it doesn't matter, time (as you pointed out) carries on with or with out us.

Thank you.