Smaller iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JPLC, Sep 6, 2014.

1. JPLC macrumors 6502

All those rumors about a langer iPhone seem to be reality soon. But I'm a different kind of user. From the start I followed some iPhone Nano rumors. Before my first iPhone I used to select phones by size. The smaller the better.

I'm sure Apple would design the right OS for a smaller iPhone. No App's, just basic functionality. Great for those who have an iPad on the side. No need for an iWatch but a phone that does the job with it's own OS. Like the new iPod Nano.

Am I alone here or are there more people like me who would like to continue using smaller phones? Not too basic but smart with Siri and smaller versions of the default iPhone App's. Why does Apple target the user of bigger screens and forgotten about Nano products?

2. andreas.muck macrumors newbie

I would definitely love a smaller iphone. It would actually justify finally buying an iPad next to it. So far I can't just find a reasonable argument to get one and with a bigger iphone there even less use for an iPad.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It wont get smaller.
    But it could freeze at the 4" size.

The new IC's, and patents Apple has filed (RFID using the separated dual cell antenna) along with the leaked iPhone 6, suggest that the iPhone 6 has no additional antenna over the 5/5S.

Which means... Theoretically, if Apple wished, they could update the 5S with NFC payment.

That would be a slick handset.

4. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Yes! I want a phone that will fit in my pocket (the pockets on women's clothing are pathetic - even coats) and that I can reach any part of the screen while holding in one (small female) hand! Something the size of the 5S screen with almost no bezel and a thinner profile would be perfect.

5. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

I don't think we will ever see an iPhone nano.
    Get a 5s if you want a smaller screen.

6. kilcher macrumors 65816

kilcher

Funny this hasn't been brought up here before. I haven't seen anyone say they still want a 4" (or smaller) phone.

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

If the original iphone had been 5", everybody would be asking for a smaller phone. This I am sure.

8. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Incorrect. NFC requires a specific chip in the phone. The iPhone 5S lacks this chip and therefore can't use NFC payments. There may be some sort of I beacon/BT/Touch ID workaround though?

9. cynics macrumors G4

Just so we are clear, you want a smaller iPhone with just basic functions correct?

If so then you are in luck. The 5S will be supported for at least 3 more years then after that it will continue to work just fine. I know people still using an iPhone 3GS and its pretty basic but gets the job done.

10. JPLC, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2014

JPLC thread starter macrumors 6502

What I would like to see is a smaller version of the iPhone with a 2.5 inch display. Flat case and App's that do the basics like phonecalls, music, txt and mail (Siri) just fine. WiFi and Bluetooth would make the phone complete.

I want something smaller, high tech with the look and feel of Apple that connects to rest of my Apple products. An "iPhone Nano" would also be the perfect device for sports. Who wants to buy an iPod just for sports?

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes, they can update the 5S, they control the design.
    Just like they updated the 5 with a new A7 cpu, and TouchID turning into a 5S.

They can in theory if it all works as rumored, update the 5S with the NXP rfid chip... Maybe into a 5SS, or 6C.

12. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

LOL. I dont imagine you realize the time and costs involved to retool an assembly line, plus completely rebuild the internals of a 5S to allow for a chip that size. Sorry, the 5S will not change. Maybe a 6C or 6 mini? But def not any 5.

PS. yes, Apple controls design, but no assembly lines or the actual hardware involved, unlike Samsung. Why do you think there was a pause in production in June and July do to a design flaw in the single laminate screens for the iphone 6? because Apple cant control that part of the build process.

13. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

This is what I expect the iWatch will be. Albeit with a smaller screen.

I really don't think there is a market for a 2.5" iPhone. Perhaps 3.5" with minimal bezel/super thin.

iWatch aside, I do think there would be a market for a smaller iPhone. I'm actually surprised Apple isn't going to offer a 4" iPhone 6 in conjunction with 4.7" and 5.5".

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

They will not redesign the 5S. No way they will give it NFC.

They want you to buy the 6.

That is all.

15. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

5S is a great handset regardless of the NFC technology or not. Plus it will be supported till iOS 10 (going by previous patterns). I'd suggest buying 5S as it's still a great phone :)

16. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

We need an iPhone customizer who retrofits smaller phones like the 4S with more current electronics.

I prefer the 3.5" size and the sturdiness of the 4S. That phone is damn difficult to bend.

17. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I suspect the OP meant an upgrade to the 5S to also include the chip, and sell it as the lower price option. Like the 5C last year was an upgraded 5 (additional LTE support).