"Smaller" screen for battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IJBrekke, Sep 4, 2012.

1. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

Nearly every review I read of an Android device lists battery life as a negative (excluding the Razr Maxx). Could Apple be releasing a modestly taller iPhone 5 due to battery life on LTE? Those huge screens take a lot of juice to run.

When the 4S came out Apple listed poor battery life as one of the reasons they avoided 4g...at the very least this could factor in how they justify the screen size.

Your thoughts?

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Like it or not displays, LTE, ect require power. Now for those who use phones with a sealed battery you better have an outlet handy. For those with phones that you can swap batteries, you have the option to carry a spare. I think the issues people were having with battery life with the 4s that prompted apple to come back with "turn x, y, and z off" were a clear indication that as the iPhone catches up to android, people are going to have to take ownership of their settings and usage to maximize battery life.

3. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

With the Rumors that the new iPhone will have a 4" screen along with added features and only a 10mAh bigger battery....i wouldnt expect it to have a good battery life.

4. noobinator macrumors 601

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The rumored IGZO display is more power efficient. The rumored Broadcom wifi chip requires 40-50% less power. If Apple goes with a die-shrunk A5, that will also require less power. Battery life on the iPhone 5 should be fine, even with LTE and some more pixels. I highly doubt battery life is the reason for the screen size--it has more to do with one-handed use, compatibility with old apps, and 16:9.

6. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

You hope anyways. Sharp, one of three that will be making the screen for the iPhone is having difficulties and is behind and worried that their profits arent there. Apple is said to be kicking in more money.

Stay tuned!