Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Smart Battery Case for iPhone XR is available for $102 from Amazon right now, a $27 discount off of the regular $129 price tag for the accessory.

The discounted price is limited to the Smart Battery Case that comes in black, with the white color option still available for the regular price. There are also no discounts on the Smart Battery cases for the iPhone XS or iPhone XS Max.

batterycaseiphonexr.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

$102 is the lowest price that we've seen for the Smart Battery Case for the iPhone XR since its launch in January. Apple's Smart Battery Case for iPhone XR, when used with an iPhone XR, provides a combined total of up to 39 hours of talk time, up to 22 hours of internet use, and up to 27 hours of video playback.

The Smart Battery Cases can be charged via Lightning or wirelessly using any Qi-based wireless charger, and battery status can be viewed on the iPhone's Lock screen and in Notification Center.

Update 5/15: The iPhone XS Max Smart Battery Case is now on sale as well, priced at $99.95, down from $129.00. The only color on sale is Black.

Article Link: Deals Spotlight: Apple's Smart Battery Case for iPhone XR Available for $102 ($27 Off) From Amazon [Updated]

ChrisMoBro

Suspended
Oct 31, 2016
If they designed it so the cameras were horizontal then this case wouldn’t look quite so bizarre and you’d be able to fit a slightly larger battery. You’re welcome, Jony.

Reactions: tridley68

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
If they designed it so the cameras were horizontal then this case wouldn’t look quite so bizarre and you’d be able to fit a slightly larger battery. You’re welcome, Jony.

Don’t need a redesign, the battery can still fit as an “L” shape in that unused area. Are we forgetting the battery shape on the XS.

This case design seems sloppy tbh.

ChrisMoBro

Suspended
Oct 31, 2016
Don’t need a redesign, the battery can still fit as an “L” shape in that unused area. Are we forgetting the battery shape on the XS.

This case design seems sloppy tbh.
Sorry I wasn’t very clear - put the cameras on the phone horizontally and then the case itself can be taller and have a larger battery.

It is very sloppy though :)

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia

Sure you’d have a larger battery in the case with that design.

But horizontal camera is better for battery size in the phone by itself.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
That's not entirely possible. The rear camera system (camera and flash) can't be horizontal... unless it's placed lower than the Face ID module. That would look pretty awkward with rear camera farther down the back of the phone
rfF2fppYknZboLdA.large

Sure you’d have a larger battery in the case with that design.

But horizontal camera is better for battery size in the phone by itself.
The battery in the XR really doesn't affect the rear camera placement. Apple made the XR's battery thicker instead of wider/longer.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I wish they’d come out with this case when the Xr was released. As it is, I’m coasting in to trade the Xr in for the next gen and don’t want to invest now. I hope they will be proactive and have these battery cases ready at launch for the 2019 iPhones.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
I wish they’d come out with this case when the Xr was released. As it is, I’m coasting in to trade the Xr in for the next gen and don’t want to invest now. I hope they will be proactive and have these battery cases ready at launch for the 2019 iPhones.

I am curious to hear your thoughts on considering to upgrading to this years model. Apple needs to make these battery cases waterproof or resistant. Hopefully third time is a charm, as the first generation was hideous, second generation was an improvement, third should be spot on (fingers crossed).

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
would be nice to have an official silicone case for XR, and I'm sure this extended battery pack and XR battery life combined is insane... but wouldnt be trying to spend anywhere near $100 for this i dont think

Reactions: timeconsumer

mandrake2016

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2016
I bought two 6S smart battery cases on eBay for $50 each. Wasn't crazy about the design when they first came out, but I think they look a lot better in reality. Having a thin area on top and bottom makes the case grip really nicely and not feel bulky like traditional battery cases.

It's also extremely easy to take on/off. I charge one at all times and swap them every morning. Phone almost never needs plugging in. Having it in the iPhone dashboard show separately under batteries is nice too... plus it works with my existing collection of lightning cables.

I'd highly recommend it, don't get hung up on it being not super photogenic, try it in RL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.