Smart Cover, black just in leather?!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nexsta, Mar 4, 2011.

1. nexsta macrumors 6502

I dont know what you think but I don't want my iPad to been covered in a cover that is made out of an ass from a cow or a pig. I can't believe that black, the most popular color for cases is just avaible in leather, I'm forced to support this disgusting industry just because I want my favorite color!

I mean im not an biofreak and not a vegetarian or something, but it's different, you eat a tasty burger because you are hungry and it tastes delicious and you dont even have time to think about the animals that had been been killed in a disgusting way for this, because you are enjoying the burger so much, and then the burger is gone and there is nothing you need to worry about. But having a case arround you all the time on your most loved tech piece that is made out of this innocent animal that had a misery life and had been skinned alive just that you can use his ass-skin to buff off your fingerprints and to protect the glass of your iPad, cmon that's just disgusting, I couldnt live with this!

Nowadays there are so many stylish materials out there, like polyurethane that are just available in this stupid colors...

check out this link!

http://www.bornfreeusa.org/articles.php?p=370&more=1

2. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

You should worry more about the workers putting together your ipad, the ones suiciding and inhaling chemicals all for your benefit, are you supporting this by buying an ipad? BTW the tomatoes and lettuce in your burger were once alive as well.

3. red0n macrumors member

Your logic is flawed. You can put a cute little cow in your mouth and eat it, but your outraged because a case was made out of its skin? I'm a vegetarian, and personally I think people should live how the want to live. This is a forum for discussing topics on iPads, not your meaty rants.

4. nmills macrumors regular

Do you only buy vegan shoes online? Because most shoes have leather in them or have some type of animal. Even tennis shoes/sneakers aren't vegan.
    Your post just had a lot of contradictions in it. You eat burgers, but don't want a leather case?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all about humane treatment of animals, but your post doesn't really make sense.
    FTR, I will probably be buying the leather case, because I, like you, don't like the poly colors.

5. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I'm concerned that the blue poly cover that appears on the website will get dirty after being on multiple surfaces and touched quite a bit.

6. TheBaconKing macrumors regular

TheBaconKing

So you are ok for killing a cow in order to eat it, but you are not ok with using the rest of the cow after it was killed to make money. aka., making leather.

They don't skin cows that are alive. They kill the cow take all the yummy meat out then skin and do whatever else they do with them.

7. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Apple are basically saying: 'if you want a nice colour then you need it in leather. And you need to pay big bucks for it'

8. red0n macrumors member

Thats a pathetic argument, a plant is a living thing because it is made of living cells. An animal is a living thing with emotions, and goes through bodily functions, and is just like us. Just because they can't talk doesn't mean they should be cut apart and eaten.

9. nmills macrumors regular

Yup! I think there is a reason they made those colors in leather.
    Although, really, I wonder what the profits are on the two different materials. $80 for a leather cover is really not *too* overpriced. I'd put the value more like $50-$60.
    But I wonder if the poly is much cheaper to manufacture, and their profits are actually higher on them. Hmmm... I wonder.

10. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

So what you are saying is you'd rather use a chemically made material rather than a natural material?

By the way I'm a vagitarian myself ;)

11. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Cows don't have emotions. They're animals.

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm proud of my position on the food chain and celebrate it in as many ways as possible. Its great and keeps those uppity cows in their place.

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

It's a valid argument, you cannot argue a plant is not alive. As for emotions science does not know that. But in reality I was being a bit sarcastic in relation to the OP, never in my wildest dreams did I think that would rile someone, oh wait I'm on macrumors lol.

14. nexsta thread starter macrumors 6502

Like I said in my post it's just different, I eat cows and pigs because I love the taste too much and there are no alternatives that come close to that taste, and in return I'm enjoying it in a absolute way and I'm thankful for the food. I wouldn't have a problem when there were no alternatives materials, but there are many.

15. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Yea, that's the feeling I got too. At least there is a gray poly cover, which will probably be one of the most popular, I know that's what I'll probably go with.

[​IMG]

16. darngooddesign macrumors G3

This is turning into one of those threads. To help the progress I'll add that its been proven that plants feel pain when cut.

17. TheBaconKing macrumors regular

TheBaconKing

I hope that was sarcasm..

If not then you are incorrect all animals have emotions. Like mother tigers who protect their cubs because of love. That is an emotion. Baby elephants who are depressed and don't want to play because they lost their parents, that is also emotion. There are many examples and I can even show you videos proving so.

Dogs who love and and to play with their owners also show emotion by the way.

18. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

Seriously! I didn't even realize this fact until I read this thread. I'm glad I did. I really wanted a black one, but will not pay $80 for it. The only cheaper color I could live with would be the light gray one. This is certainly disappointing :(

19. nmills macrumors regular

Then show your disapproval by boycotting the leather and buy the poly cover.

FWIW, eating an animal and using it's skin amounts to the SAME exact thing. It's being killed for you/people.

20. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Even though I sense the Trollness is strong in this one I'll bite. You have an issue that there is no alternative to your beloved ipad cover, but there are TONS of alternatives to eating cows and pigs. It's a weak attempt at trolling because you really didn't create a believable story. The best trolling is when it's believable and you get a lot of people caught up in your story.

21. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Another emotion is the happiness I feel while eating good bacon.

22. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You're talking about instincts. And dogs play with owners cause they realize they're a source of food. Love is not an emotion btw.

23. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

A $3.00 can of spray paint will solve this issue.

24. darngooddesign macrumors G3

But you need a lot to paint an entire cow.

25. nexsta thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not trolling, I really have a problem with this leather thing...
    There are maybe alternatives for other people, but not for me, there are many sort of foods I love, specially burgers, take the Mcrib for example, there is nothing that tastes like this masterpiece!