Smartphone with best camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zedzded, Sep 15, 2013.

1. zedzded macrumors regular

I’m getting a new phone and the main criteria is the camera. I’d prefer to stick with Apple, but if it’s an Android phone that has the best camera I’ll switch, reluctantly. I’m after some objective (no applefanboys please) opinions on what people think is the best camera, I don’t know enough about cameras to determine which is the best. I’ve read some pretty good reviews of the Z1, but then also some pretty average ones, which is a bit disappointing as I was leaning towards this, but then the negative reviews are swaying me back to Apple. Or even the HTC One.

2. billycuth macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5s on paper.

Nokia Lumia is supposedly really good.

3. Zerilos macrumors 6502a

I hear the Lumia with the 41mp camera is really good, First impressions of the 5s camera are that it's arguably the best or just below the 41MP.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Galaxy s4 zoom would put most camera phones to shame in theory

5. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Lumia 1020 with it's 41mp shooter.

After that I'd go iPhone 5S, but could be the LG G2 and it's 13mp shooter with optical image stabilization.

6. zedzded thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, unfortunately it's too big, otherwise I'd definitely consider it.

----------

I hate LG, but it's new smartphone is supposed to be pretty good & having OIS is huge.

7. Kurso macrumors 6502

Ignore everything people have said so far since nobody asked the two most important questions:

1) What are you take pictures of and in what conditions?

2) What do you do with the pictures? Blow up, print, upload online, etc...

8. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I've read the same. To the OP: Unless you dead-set on Windows Phone (not a bad platform in my opinion), I would get the iPhone 5s.

Actually, that's my primary reason for upgrading from my iPhone 5. The camera's features: intelligent burst mode (love how it picks the best one), slo-mo, bigger aperture, amazing flash etc.

9. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Lots of great choices out there but alas, they are only as good as the lenses used and how clean those lenses are when in use.

Sony is coming out with a very interesting device (though I hate Sony my hates off to them) - it is an attachment with all the camera workings in a small lens that attached to the iPhone/iTouch etc. and simply uses the iPhone as the viewer and controller for this lens.

Best I can say it is small and could be carried around and attached when needed for superior images than that coming from a cell phone camera.

Just remember, if cell phone cameras were that good, there would be no digital cameras being sold other than the high end ones.

10. Eyden macrumors member

I want to say galaxy S4 is nice, but comparatively iPhone's camera is the first choice anyway.

11. zedzded, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013

zedzded thread starter macrumors regular

I take lots of pictures, surfing, down the beach, at parties/clubs, rugby games, festivals etc etc so need a camera that is a good all rounder. Something I found the 4s wasn't. Very good if the conditions were right. Hopefully the 5S with its bugger sensor & 2tone flash fixes these problems.

I print a few, not many. Most are either uploaded or they're viewed on a 50" LCD via AppleTV.

12. sandwicher macrumors member

Funny how everyone is judging the 5S when they haven't got the chance to test it?

It's not about stats on the paper. Haha

13. King Shady macrumors 6502

King Shady

My S4's camera is very, very impressive. My friends are pretty amazed by the clarity of the photos I take on that. However, I'm sure the 5S's camera is going to be very solid and probably better than my S4's. But honestly, if you were shifting to Android, I'd look away from the One and get either the LG G2 or the S4. :)

14. zedzded thread starter macrumors regular

I'm basing my opinions on past Iphone cameras, I've had the 3S, 4 & 4S and to be honest although they can take great photos I don't think they are particularly good as an all round camera. A credible gadget website rated the Iphone 5 as the best camera out of 9 models tested. They did 7 different tests and interestingly, the 5 came near bottom in 2 of them, despite finishing top overall. I'd prefer a camera that perhaps wasn't as good overall, but better as an all rounder IYKWIM.

15. Kurso macrumors 6502

Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom is like a camera with a phone built on it. It certainly isn't a sexy device but it's an impressive camera.

The Lumina 1020 is a good option assuming you can deal with Windows. I've only played with it a few times and it's ok. Just makes sure you are comfortable with a Windows phone before you pull the trigger here.

iPhone 5s... I'd love to steer you to this but the zoom will suck compared to the other two phones. Not ideal for rugby or surfing I would imagine. Also, we don't know what the low light (clubs and parties) performance will be with the 5s. It should be MUCH better than the 5 but it is hard to say.

I would say Lumina 1020 then Samsung in that order. The Samsung is just to bulky for a phone IMO and the Lumina has great low light performance for a phone. Once the 5s comes out you can figure out where to rank it.

16. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

Well, if you can week for a week or so, you will see lots of review of the iPhone 5S camera.

From what we've seen, it seems very impressive but we still have no objective review.

17. zedzded thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that. I think the 1020 is going to ruled out because I can't stand W8! Shame. And the S4 zoom is just too big. So I think it will come down to the 5S & Z1. The fact that you can now have burst mode with the Iphone is a great plus for me, the low light mode will be the key.

----------

Yeah that will be the hard part, finding an objective review!

18. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

19. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James