Smash Brothers Brawl to use Friend Codes, but does not require them to play online.

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by zero2dash, Sep 18, 2007.

1. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/wi-fi/wi-fi01.html

At first I was going to really complain about having to use Friend Codes, but that's sorta halfassedly applied here. You can play online without friend codes, but you won't know who you're playing against or anything, you'll just play them and then the match is over and that's it.

It's better than nothing, but (sorry) I still will never understand this [pathetic] attempt at online features that Nintendo has so far shown. :eek: Better than nothing, certainly, but not much more than that. :rolleyes:

2. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

There are also no ranked matches, which seems a bit ridiculous to me. No record is kept for random games.

3. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about. All the Nintendo Wi-Fi games (from the DS to the Wii) don't require friend codes unless you want to play with friends.

About the ranked matches, they claim more Wi-Fi capabilities will be revealed soon so maybe they'll add it.

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Indeed. I thought all nintendo onlines games are like that....which sucks but oh well. Nintendo wifi randomaly pick people for you to play with and then its on....feels like playing single player to me because there is no mic or text support.

Theres no ranking system?

Bless

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Okay, what the heck are you talking about? EVERY game works like that. Mario Strikers Charged lets you play online without ever using a friend code; you only need friend codes to play against friends, just like Smash Bros..

Also, this has already been posted in the Smash Bros thread. Also, it's Smash Bros Brawl, not Melee (see title).

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Feels like single player except your opponent is far more intelligent and unpredictable than any bot, which is IMHO the whole point of playing online.

IMHO...I've never liked voice chat, I've always preferred classic PC games with a keyboard. Communications are limited to the little you can type during calm moments. And while I'd prefer SOME communication on Brawl, I'm just happy it has the online play; even if there's no communication, I'll just enjoy the match because it'll be much more difficult than if I was playing alone.

I hope it has 2v2 co-op online like Strikers.

7. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I knew that's how it was in Strikers but I didn't know that was how it was in "every" game. (which is, what...one other? Pokemon?)

Fixed the title and excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me :rolleyes: for not digging through a thread about the 'Smash Brothers website' to find out about the game's online play features.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

But you got it completely wrong.

If I posted a thread about the ¨leaked Halo 2 ending¨ wouldn't that end in similar retorts?

If you had a Wii, which I'm assuming you have since you're posting about an upcoming game for it, then you'd know about the online side of things. Or at least know about the DS which has the exact same set up of friends vs anyone.

And you link to the Smash Bros site which has an already very active discussion going in the link I posted? Have you completely missed that for the past couple of months? I'd say merge threads but then we'd get information mixed with FUD.

Very very poor.

9. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Nintendo's attempt at online gaming is just absolutely laughable. It's pathetic.

I don't do much online gaming as it is, but I definitely won't be going online with any Wii games until Nintendo pulls their head out and gives us an actual Community.

10. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

I think that if Smash Brothers was to do like Clubhouse games and have pre-installed messages for people not on your friends list, I think that would be great.

I really felt like that was a perfectly adequate trade off in C.H.

11. zero2dash thread starter macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Yes I have a Wii. I had my Wii code in my sig for awhile but then I realized it was useless because (without any games at this point that support WiFi) all I can do is add people and hope they add me so I can send Miis to them. So I removed it out of my sig.

I haven't followed Wii WiFi because (as a whole) it does not interest me. Their online support is halfassed, tacked on, and poor (to put it mildly). I will buy Mario Kart and I will buy Smash Brothers and I will play both of them online but otherwise I have no desire to bother with Wii WiFi or follow news about it unless it's something groundbreaking (like, hey! we pulled our heads out of the sand and decided to have friend lists! and voice chat!). Otherwise, I post what I know. I was wrongly (and I freely admit that) under the impression that in order to use Wii WiFi, you HAD to exchange friends codes and there was no way to play online otherwise. I have since been informed of the proper features and now hereby admit yes, I was wrong in my initial thought that friend codes were required.

And technically, yes the DS has a similar feature set (which I know based off MKDS which I do own). I don't play it online though anymore (primarily because) it doesn't work with WPA2 (or even WPA) and also because I can't stand snakers. ;)

...I already gave my reason for starting this thread.
    I haven't bothered with the other thread because the TOPIC says "New Official Smash Bros. Site Up", which is not "Smash Bros. online play works like this" so, yeah, there you go. I haven't had an interest in looking at the Smash Brothers site or talking about the Smash Brothers site so I don't bother with that thread; if the thread title would have been "Smash Brothers online features/details" then I would have said "oh ok! someone covered this already! yay!!" :rolleyes:

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

As long as the import works on my wii and doesnt include any nasty firmware updates I'll be happy.

14. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

I just wish now that Nintendo can replace friend codes with friend names.

15. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

No kidding. That makes alot more sense. Like UserTags on Xbox Live. Maybe someday... ;)

16. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

This is disappointing -- I like to know the names of people I'm brutalizing.

When you find yourself in the dark, doors locked and bolted, wiimote limp and impotent under the weight of shattered dreams and broken souls, blinds drawn and mirrors reversed so you can be alone -- attempting to hide your shame even from yourself -- with the destitution of complete and utter defeat, think of me and know.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Wii2 hopefully has that sorted...

Friends Codes just are too awkward to use. Why also couldnt they had a friend request option to ? Of course they are still treading the water with 'online' gaming so we can't blame them too much.

18. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I haven't played Pokemon, or Mario Strikers, but I was under the impression that the friend code was simply the console registration number?

Don't you assign a name to those numbers when registered on both ends? and given what I've seen on Metroid, once entered and you're searching the list you search by name, not by number, of course I don't know if this is the case for Strikers or Pokemon.

Yes it would be much easier if you could just tell everyone "register atszyman on your system" rather than the 16 digit code but if you have a group of people you know will be playing/buying the same kinds of games or a diverse enough group entered, you shouldn't be having to enter codes after the initial address book loading. I'm not saying it couldn't be easier, but is it really that difficult to enter the names in the address book once? although a friend request when you add a number would probably ease up the whole system on at least one person's end.

19. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Yeah. I still have people greyed out on my address book who I registerd last December....I wish I could send them a message and ask if they are going to register me or not. (yeah, I'm talking to some of the people on here).

And I agree with everythng you said. Sure, it's easier to give out an actual name instead of a series of numbers (and easier to remember)...but a Wii code is no different from an Xbox Live gamertag. ...with the exception of it being tied to a system and not transferable to other systems.

20. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I love my Wii, and I think Nintendo generally does a great job with it's hardware and software, but their 'online' gaming attempt is so pathetic that I would rather them just get rid of it all together!

Friend Codes. Yeah. What idiot thought up that idea?

Daft Nintendo Exec. 1: "I've got it! Instead of letting everyone choose their own screen names, let's give them all unique 16 digit codes that can be their very own! All the kids will love it!"

Daft Nintendo Exec. 2: "Brilliant!"

:rolleyes:

21. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Correct. In the case of Smash Bros, it does not display people's names if you are playing a RANDOM match; if you are playing against friends, it'll show someone's name.

People are complaining because they don't see the names over random people.

Well, that's the whole problem, really. See, each game has their own address book and each game assigns their own Friend Codes.

Essentially...if you have 10 friends for Mario Strikers Charged, you have to add all ten friends AGAIN when you buy Smash Bros.

Really, if I only had to add friend codes once and they were universal across all games I'd be happy. Having to reenter them with EVERY GAME is annoying.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL! and I bet scarily accurate :D

It's actually the reason why I cant be bothered to play MSC online. It is madness that once they are entered on your Wii, you still have to add them to your game because there is no syncronicity between the dash and the game.

23. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Then how does it work with Prime 3? I know it's obviously not multiplayer but when you go to vouchers, everyone in your address book is already there, It's not like you have to enter them again (friends who don't have Prime 3 are grayed out, friends who do have the game are displayed in white text). It automatically syncs. Now, there's no reason this wouldn't be the same with Smash....

24. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

ooo does it. I never even bothered looking at that in Metroid yet. That goes someway to sorting the wrongs :)