Smashed Screen..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TJ5921, Jun 26, 2012.

1. TJ5921 macrumors regular

Smashed the screen on my 4s last night. It still works but its spiderwebbed pretty bad. I don't have applecare so would it be a good idea to just try and use it until the 5 comes out, then sell as is and put the money towards it or get a refurb from apple for $200? If I get the refurb under my limited warranty I assume they take the broken one?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

October is quite a while. Also if spiderwebbed it will likely crack more and start chipping off. I would do the refurb. You get a "new" iPhone to use and it will have good resale value when the new iPhone comes out.

3. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Refurb for $200. Then sell for $275 when the new one comes out. You just spent $75 for a usable phone for 4 months as opposed to getting nothing for your cracked phone later.

4. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Maybe it's just me, but I would gladly spend $200 to keep broken glass away from my face anytime the phone rings.

5. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Yes they will take the broken one and give you the replacement unit.

6. TJ5921 thread starter macrumors regular

wow Apple makes a killing on those of us who didn't purchase applecare. They send me a new phone for $220 (iPhone 4s - $199 + tax and shipping) and take my functioning phone with a broken front screen, fix it for probably $20-$30 then sell it to someone else for $220. You would think they would fix my screen for around 100, even then they'd be making a fortune.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Then look here.

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

If you're not afraid to try, replacing the front screen assembly isn't that hard to do, just takes time. I cracked my iPhone 4 screen last summer, bought the replacement glass/digitizer/lcd assembly off eBay for $40 and installed it myself one afternoon.

Just follow the ifixit guide and take your time.

I refused to pay $200 to Apple for something I knew I could do myself. If they're price was $100, I probably would have had them do it.

9. aztooh macrumors 6502a

spending a couple of bucks on screen protecters solves that problem

10. TJ5921 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I thought about doing it myself it seems like it wouldn't be too bad.What worried me was breaking the phone and not having the $220 option because I opened it. Most repair places use cheaper screens and assume no liability if they break it in the process.

11. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I've replaced quite a few screens, from employee's (now mandate they have to have a case lol) to myself. It's not that hard, the 4/4S you have to be a bit more careful vs previous phones but not hard at all to do. And way cheaper then a refurb or letting Apple fix it. Check ifixit and youtube videos and you'll get an idea of what's involved.

It's a little daunting at first to work on these phones, but now I can take one apart completely disassembled and put back together with my eyes closed lol. You can find nice parts cheap on Amazon (just check reviews) and Ebay (I've used iphonerepairmiamibeach parts tons of times).