SMB and CIFS

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by Jvester, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Jvester macrumors newbie

Hi

I am having trouble connecting a macbook pro 15 2017 to a windows network at my workplace.

I connect via a LAN cable and so far, it has worked to connect to the network drives via CIFS.

Earlier, I connected via SMB but after 20 minutes or so it froze my macbook.

Now, CIFS does not work anymore. It works for about 20-30 minutes. My internet also stops working. Then I have to take the LAN cable out and then reboot.

Unfortunately, the IT administrator at work can not figure it out, but he does not support mac.

Are there any others who have that problem? And maybe a solution ?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

2. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

If your internet is also not working the SMB/CIFS issue could be misleading. You should investigate that first. Open the Console application in the Utilities, check the system log.

3. Jvester thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi slayerizer

Thank you for your reply.

It just happened again (worked for 4 hours this time) and got this from the console app system log (i have know idea what it means) :)

Apr 2 13:20:00 --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Apr 2 13:20:15 sn-win10 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit

Apr 2 13:20:15 sn-win10 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit

Apr 2 13:20:49 --- last message repeated 1 time ---

Apr 2 13:22:12 MacbookJV-2 Dropbox[653]: [0402/132212:WARNING:dns_config_service_posix.cc(306)] Failed to read DnsConfig.

Apr 2 13:23:07 MacbookJV-2 diagnosticd[2672]: send_stream_request_block_invoke: connecting to streaming server

Apr 2 13:23:07 MacbookJV-2 diagnosticd[2672]: System mode client started - Console (6138) - mode: 0xb

Apr 2 13:23:11 MacbookJV-2 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent): Unknown key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit

Apr 2 13:23:16 MacbookJV-2 kcm[6140]: DEPRECATED USE in libdispatch client: Setting timer interval to 0 requests a 1ns timer, did you mean FOREVER (a one-shot timer)?

Apr 2 13:23:30 MacbookJV-2 xpcproxy[6143]: libcoreservices: _dirhelper_userdir: 529: bootstrap_look_up returned (ipc/send) invalid destination port

Apr 2 13:23:30 MacbookJV-2 netbiosd[6143]: DEPRECATED USE in libdispatch client: Setting timer interval to 0 requests a 1ns timer, did you mean FOREVER (a one-shot timer)?

4. slayerizer, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018

slayerizer macrumors 6502a

This can be ignored (it's related to iOS and had no effect on MacOS): key for integer: _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit.
    This can sometime happen after a sleep & wake failure: WARNING:dns_config_service_posix.cc(306)] Failed to read DnsConfig.

This is the antimalware having issue connecting, which is normal since you lost network.
    xpcproxy[6143]: libcoreservices: ... returned (ipc/send) invalid destination port

Can you confirm if your mac could have entered sleep mode?
    - lid closed?
    - low battery?
    - you left your computer for a few minutes?

Some applications can also interfere with the system. Some got rid of the issue after uninstalling some app. Before going that way, maybe troubleshoot it more.

Next time it happens can you also dump the network? open the terminal, type ifconfig and paste the output.

Also check this out: https://www.switchingtomac.com/tutorials/osx/macbook-pro-constantly-dropping-wireless-connection/

Cheers!