SMH @ boycott of Thor Movie

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macswitcha2, Dec 19, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

2. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

All notes of racism aside, the casting does raise a question. Why would one cast a black man to play the role of the White God in a mythologie based in northern regions where no such skin color was found ? Their ideologies maybe shallow, but this casting is about as right as casting an asian to play Nelson Mandela.

3. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Seriously? You're analogizing the casting in a fictional film to casting in a film about Nelson Mandela? Fictional films contain more flexibility than a film based on historical events.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

And I think you missed his point entirely.

5. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

I got his point. What makes you think I didn't get his point?

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I wanna play Othello, the Moor of Venice. Any objections??

As I suspected. :p

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Do to your response. That is why. It is rediculas that marvel and company did cast a black man to play a norse god. But hey they can do what they want. It isn't like Norse theology is made up and there are no such things as a norse god let alone a black one. :rolleyes:

8. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

*uh, look around and scratches his head* wasn't that exactly my point? LoL

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Hollywood has long thrown out its willingness to being accurate to the stories it relies on. That is, they want to be Politically Correct and cast a non-white person in place of someone who for milliania was viewed as white.

I'm neither surprised nor upset by this, as I just calk it up to hollywood leading the charge in Political Correctness.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Just the usual nonsense coming out of Hollywood.

11. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Political correctness or incorrectness has to do with race? What is up with the racist group in the report?

12. BigQid macrumors regular

I don't know if any of you are black, but as the resident black friend to many a white person, shut up. Boycott the movie cause it's going to suck. Boycotting because Hollywood took liberties with the story on any grounds of reverse racism can only come from a place of ignorance. Idris Alba will sell some tickets cause women think he's sexy. As far as racism Anthony Hopkins DID play Othello and Elizabeth Taylor was Cleopatra. I'm not a big enough film buff to run off the whole list of black parts that were given to whites but whites who cry over this one instance of casting outside of what is expected need to get over themselves. Not to mention the idealist in me does hope for the day when anyone can play any role. This probably a small role and probably no reason not to see the movie, but not enough people went to the see the Hulk movies. I doubt Thor does better.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Actually, I think the Thor movie looks pretty damn cool.

14. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

seems like a typically non-sensical "quota" casting

remember: "alexander" with his blonde hair ? same thing

16. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

That guy played God and no one made a fuss, which proves racism is not the problem.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No, because he is Morgan Freeman, and he IS God, in Hollywood anyway. ;)

18. BigQid macrumors regular

White people being comfortable with black people on TV even as powerful beings, be they Morgan Freeman, Oprah, or Barack Obama does not disprove racism. If your mind still sees us and them you're at least a little racist.
    Case in point why can't some Norse god be black. Black people could have wandered that far north and we are talking about a mythical god. Why does anybody give a crap what color he is?

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

These 'fables' have been around almost forever. People, in general, have a vision of the characters involved.

Sure, the Black community has largely been absent from ancient stories, but no one questions Samuel's role in Pulp Fiction, nor Unbreakable, or many others.

These things take time, and once we are all beige, the World will be a wonderful place.

20. KnightWRX, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

They could have wandered that far north... but they didn't. They did go as far as Rome, as slaves brought back from Africa. The fact is, black/white skin is a function of melanin, which serves to protect one from exposure to the sun. In northern regions of the world, it isn't required as much, exposure to the sun being much more limited. In fact, black people in these regions tend to suffer vitamin D deficiencies in the cold months of winter because of their natural resistance to sunlight absorption.

So while yes, black people could have wandered there, they didn't. The society that believed in these gods was white. Their gods are thus white. Not to mention Heimdall is the friggin White God.

Again, if I made up a fictional story about Nelson Mandela, cast an Asian in the role, but made it so Nelson took control of South Africa in the name of the people by fighting for it in a style of Kung Fu and said "Hey, it's ok to cast Jet Li as Nelson, because this is fiction, the super flying kick of impalement isn't possible, so why are people fretting over this ?"

I don't think me and others are upset over it, I just think it's a weird casting choice and again, Hollywood makes it a tad harder to suspend your disbelief when looking at their mass-market trite. The fact that it is a hate group that is calling for this boycott really doesn't change the fact that the casting is out of place, just as much as casting Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra (the most recent Othello movie had Laurence Fishburn in the role and the 1965 version had some white guy that isn't Anthony Hopkins, but yes, Anthony as a Moor of Venice would be the same kind of poor casting choice that would raise this eyebrow).

That's going to be one sad day. It is the day that humans will forfeit their history and culture in the name of political correctness.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

What?? :confused:

Is this a test of some sort?

How many of you are there? The Seven Faces Of Ahmed??

22. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

Nelson Mandela is a real, modern person--not relevant to this story. It's more like casting white actors to play Jesus. What's up with that? Stupid PC Hollywood crap.

23. iJohnHenry, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2010

iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

True, God could be Black, or pick your colour of preference, if our eyes can even register His hue.

24. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

And Norse culture is not real ? :rolleyes: The fact that someone made a fictional story out of their mythology is as much related to me making a comic book about a Super Flying Kicking Nelson Mandela, taking back the land of the people for the people!

SUPER FLYING KICK OF IMPALEMENT! TAKE THAT BRITISH SCUM!

Now, Jet Li or Stephen Chow in the movie ? I think I'll cast Emma Wiklund as a love interest.

Seriously, culture is culture, no matter what interpretation of it you're portraying.

And yes, white actors to play Jesus is wrong, they need to cast Jewish people. Jesus was Jewish after all. But the problem with that is less Hollywood and more the Roman Catholic church.

25. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

I like the idea of Jet Li as Mandela...would be wicked. Was it "Dead Alive" that had the priest "kicking ass for the Lord" or such?

My comment was both sincere and sarcastic. There is a tendency to blanche characters by hiring white actors in this country. I've got nothing against a little turning the tables a bit. Let's have Bob Dylan played by men, women, white actors, black actors, etc. Speaking of Othello, we could mention Elizabethan theatres that had male actors playing female roles.