Smokers, do you think it's perfectly okay to smoke as long as you're outside?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by agkm800, Aug 7, 2009.

1. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Even if there are people around you? i.e. bus stop, etc.

I really am curious to know.

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Around here, you should probably be more specific about what these people are smoking. Just saying....

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Unspoken Demise makes me rofl once a day.

As to the OP, I
    m not qualified on the issue, but I would never feel right smoking around predominately children, like a playground, which is illegal in quite a few places.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

Especially in children's playgrounds. ^^^^You posted while I was posting....

"Smokers are jokers."

[​IMG]

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

If I was a smoker (Which I'm not), and was around somebody, but felt like smoking, I would ask them if they're okay. If they aren't. Too bad for me, if they are, fine.

6. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Nope, I never thought it was acceptable to smoke near people who weren't smoking unless it was in a bar or club back in the days when you could smoke indoors.

I quit March 2008 anyway. Dirty, nasty habit.. wrecked my lungs for 10 years.. pathetic..

7. highertechnology macrumors 6502

At my office, the smokers all congregate and light up in the non-smoking zone by the entrances???

8. Surely Guest

Surely

Why do smokers think it's okay to flick their cigarette butt on the ground when they are finished smoking?

Is it okay to throw your empty cup on the ground after you finish drinking your coffee?

Just because it's small, doesn't mean it's not littering. And gross.

9. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Because (at least here) there's not a goddamn ash tray for miles.

I used to smoke. Until yesterday.

10. Surely Guest

Surely

So would you throw the cup on the ground if there was no garbage can around?

Congrats on quitting. :)

11. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

I hate smoke! But.......I use to chew copenhagen for 15+ years.....a worse habit. As long as they go outside and keep it away from others that do not want to be around it....what does it hurt? Not much.....

12. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This has been covered (at least once) before...

Nevertheless, my opinion is that if you are a smoker, you would try to smoke in a way that is conscientious and intelligent to those around you.

I am a smoker, btw. Smoking outside, I try to keep an eye on where my smoke may be going - keep away from crowds and children, and if I run into either, I cup my cigarette in my hand till we pass. I also have a jar I keep for cigarette butts, or if I don't have my shoulder-bag with me, I make an effort to put them out on my shoe or the ground and then dispose of them in the trash like other refuse.

This is the 21st century, and if you want to continue smoking - you need to step up responsibility-wise.

That said, I am sure some people still look at me with disgust or dislike - but I've done what seems appropriate and fair - so my conscience is clear.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I sometimes want to punch inconsiderate smokers in the face when they blow smoke near/around me. My clothes smell like trash the next day.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

It's too bad that there aren't more smokers like you.

Not more smokers..... just, um, y'know what I mean.

15. IBobby macrumors regular

IBobby

I am a very curtious smoker, if someone is making a face while i smoke i either move away a distance or put it out and smoke when they are not around :) i was never like that in my teen years lol.

16. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

I actually like it when people smoke around me, I don't know why, I like the smell.

But then again, I smoke too. I smoke in my driveway at 2 am so I can't really say if I am courteous or not :p

Oh yeah, and to unspoken demises comment, c'mon, you know everyone smoke other herbs in their bathrooms ;)

17. Gregg2 macrumors 603

blackfox, I wish all smokers were as considerate as you are! Butts are the biggest litter item by volume in our downtown area. I guess some people think the government is supposed to provide butt cans at least every three paces. I mean, your last draw could be anywhere. But, if you stop while crossing a four lane, you're on your own.

18. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I used to smoke. I hated inhaling other people's "used" smoke on the street. Only time I'd ever do that would be at parties, like from the '93 In The Name Of The Father movie where a couple make out after one of them took a pull from a cigarette. That's the only acceptable way, I see, to breath in someone's used smoke. :cool: The whole thing looks cool after exchanging it and exhaling it.

19. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

uh.. i wouldn't call any smoker considerate.. look at the level of respect they show for their own body and health :eek:

20. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Being considerate of yourself is different than being considerate of someone else! I fart when I'm alone! I TRY not to on a crowded train or during a job interview!!

21. samiwas macrumors 65816

I have smoked off and on for 20 years. These days, it's very occasional, but at times, I was at most 8 smokes a day or something like that. Anyway, I am just like the quoted guy. I would NEVER light up in a crowd, unless it was acceptable to do so (like at some outdoor hippie concerts where 90% of the people are smoking any way)...like walking down a busy sidewalk or something? No way. And if I was sitting somewhere and someone with kids walks by, I would either get up and move if possible, or hold my cigarette as high as possible so the smoke does not affect them. And I always try to find a place to dispose of my butts.

My favorite smoker story of all time:
    A couple of coworkers and I were walking through a long skybridge (enclosed walkway, generally one or two stories off the ground) from an arena in Des Moines, Iowa, to our hotel. It was maybe a 10 minute walk through this enclosed skybridge. Plastered every 10 feet along the walk were signs saying "No smoking except in designated areas". He said at one point, "You know, there is no sign anywhere that points to a designated area. By law, that means that I am allowed to smoke here then." So, he lights up right there in the enclosed walkway and proceeds to smoke all the way back to the hotel. I could not believe it.

I hate when people say this stuff. A LOT of things are bad for your health...smoking, drinking, eating crappy food, not exercising much...but I'd rather do what I feel and enjoy my time on earth, than spend all my time trying to make sure I'm healthy enough to make it to the years that I have to walk on a cane and have my bedpan emptied by my nurse...like a few people I know who only eat raw foods...kill me.

22. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

It's not hard. My dad quits smoking all the time.

23. TeamRetic macrumors newbie

TeamRetic

Same for me, I wish smokers in my town were considerate. I am allergic to the smoke and can't be around it. It is very painful and the smokers in my town wouldn't even ask if it is ok to smoke at the bus stop when I am waiting. I started to cough and I am in the pain and the jerk wouldn't even bother to ask if the smoke is bothering me when I am choking and gagging. If I ask not to smoke that I am allergic, they get really rude and say its a free country. No concern for others.

24. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

It kills me when sitting at a restaurant or something and nearby is a person smoking, and in between puffs they hold the cig as far back over their shoulder as they can, so I get to choke on the smoke. Seriously. If you're gonna smoke, keep it over by you, not blowing all over me just because you don't want to smell it or get it on you.:mad:

25. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

i try not to smoke around kids and people i know that dont smoke

for the most part people really dont give a hell but if they do they either say something and i put it out or they move away