Smoking Ban

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shaun.P, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

In the UK we have a complete ban on smoking in public areas, such as inside pubs, clubs, restraurants. I am interest to know, however, if anyone would be interested in seeing this ban developed further - so it is illegal to smoke outside.

The reason I ask is that I absolutely despise smoking. I hate everything about it: the smell, the smell it leaves on your clothes, and the damage that it can potentially cause.

Every weekday I commute to University via the train. Smoking is illegal in the train-station, but when you walk outside you are guaranteed to be engulfed in a big cloud of smoke, caused by about 6 to 8 people smoking. Also, on my short walk to University from the train-station, I am guaranteed to be walking behind at least one person smoking in front of me, and the wind blowing it right towards my face.

Then finally, I have to climb a fairly steep hill to get to one of my Uni buildings - and again 2-3 people stand at the doors smoking, so when you get to the top of the hill, out of breath and breathing deeply, you get smoke straight into your lungs.

I try to avoid it as much as possible, but it isn't always possible. I hate it! I do not see why I should have to breath other peoples smoke at all. It is their choice to smoke, not mine.

I think smoking should be banned whilst driving (using your phone is illegal - why not smoking?)
    I think smoking should only be legal on your own property.

What do you think? Discuss.

2. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Smokers have every right to the outside air, just like you do. I suggest you move upwind, politely ask them to move downwind (which they would probably do so long as you don't have an attitude about it) and stop being such a nazi about it.

3. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I'm going to agree with Corvus on this one. Smokers have a right to the air, just as you do. If you don't like the smoke just walk away. I personally think that smoking in a restaurant is fine as long as the smoker is in the smoking section.

As to smoking in your car. That's fine IMO also. Because it's the smokers car. Why does it bother you if they're smoking in THEIR car? There's a difference between using a phone, and smoking a cigarette. When you're talking, you have to concentrate on the conversation, when you're smoking, you don't have to think about how you're going to respond to a question.

Basically, stop being such a whiner.

Don

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

smokers have rights.... however ,
    Smoking age put up to 21
    Price for 20 fags upped to £12
    Ban packet of 10's
    Rizla's upped to £1 per pack
    Rolling tobac ( Golden Virginia ect .) sold in only 50g at £25
    No adverts at all
    Fags to be sold under the counter at Chemists only

People would be giving up in droves :D

5. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I really don;t think that hiking the price will cause many people to change their habits. People will continue to buy them until they absolutely can't. And governments really don't want people to stop smoking, because they make so much off of cigarette taxes.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

********. Smokers shouldn't have any rights in public. I get the train to and from work everyday. There are No Smoking signs inside and outside the station, people still do it. Even in the underground stations, where there's no excuse to being outside. They don't give a **** about anybody else, they just want a smoke.

Makes me want to push them in front of the train.

7. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

So what makes smokers inferior to you? Why do you deserve rights, while they don't? basically you're asking for quasi-discrimination, based on people's habits. How is that fair? Who says that you own the air?

Don

8. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

well that's my thinking - if people have to smoke then why not ride em all the way to the grave ?

With the economy in such a crappy way maybe the tax brought in from the cig's might help smooth things over.

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

It may be discrimination, but unless smokers are actually a different race, it is not racism…

10. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

"Why not?" is a terrible argument to make something illegal. I dislike the smell and taste of coffee, and since talking on your phone while driving is illegal, so let's make it illegal to drink coffee while driving!

11. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

While i agree with him that smokers shouldn't smoke in area's which are non-smoking (which he seems to be complaining about), I also agree that smokers can be allowed smoke in the free air (out in the open). You can easily move away from these people then.

However i wouldn't consider a cramped train station to be out in the open. Everyone is queueing up in close quarters to get onto the train and you would be forced to be close to the smoker unless of course you wanted to be last on the train or possibly miss it.

I'm glad we have a smoking ban here in Ireland. It's so nice to be able to go into a Restaurant or Pub and enjoy your meal or drink without the horrid smell of smoke. Also i quite like that i now have a lower chance of getting lung cancer.

However stopping someone from smoking outside the door of a bar is too much, unless of course the wind is blowing the smoke into the bar in which case i'd ask them to move to the side of the door so less smoke blows in.

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

There would probably be more reasons to ban drinking coffe while driving than there would be for banning smoking while driving.

:p

13. trule macrumors 6502

A smoking ban in public buildings is one of the nicest things to happen in these parts. Having someone light up in a restaurant after their meal while I was still working on mine...destroys the taste of the meal.

The Airports here have smoking booths, a small glass room where smokers can get a fix. Its pretty funny to watch :D No one seems happy about it.

14. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Just so everyone knows, it was not my intention to cause disruption on these forums. I present my views here, solely for an adult conversion and different view points.

Correct, I never said they didn't. But I have the right to the same outside air, and surely non smokers have a right to breath air with no cigarette smoke?

When I get someone in front of me smoking, I do try to move (as it is usually only a few seconds at a time) but at rush-hour in a city it can be a bit difficult to not get behind someone who is smoking.

Smokers have the right to air, but why do they have the right to smoke into it? As I mentioned in my initial post, I DO walk away, but avoiding smokers is impossible. The particular train station I visit you are guaranteed at every exit to have groups of people smoking outside. You cannot avoid it, and naturally I am walking away as I am on route to my destination. Why should I have to breath smoke for 10-20 seconds?

Smokers normally light up when they are driving. Which entrails reaching for the cigarette, finding a lighter and lighting it, then smoking for 5-10 minutes. I think there could be a loss of concentration in any of those actions. You defend yourargument by saying that "when you're talking, you have to concentrate on the conversation" [on a mobile/cell phone].
    What about talking to a passenger in your car? This is not illegal. So you are not allowed to hold a phone to your ear, but it's okay to hold a cigarette to your mouth?

It is a completely different situation when the persons habit is lethal and is there for other people to suffer aswell.

If the government made banned smoking in its entirety, think of how much money the NHS would save? I wonder if it would outweigh the taxes earned on cigarettes.
    Think of the huge reduction in lung cancers, and a lot of other cancers.

15. remmy macrumors 6502a

This is a good point. There are plenty of smokers who don't give a damn anyway. And even if they do its hard for them to do anything.

16. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Well, I have to say I'm with ShaunPriest here. Of course, smokers have every right to the air, just as I, but they are polluting the air I use, so I'd say their right goes only so far, that they don't mess with my rights.

As to ban smoking while driving: I think everything that distracts you from driving should be banned. Imagine you drop your cigarette between your legs, don't know if you can still concentrate on driving then.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'll be for an outdoor smoking ban when fossil fuel burning cars are banned in the city. I don't own a car and don't see why I should have to breathe in others' exhaust fumes because they choose to drive, when there are plenty of clean options. Auto exhaust is far worse than cigarette smoke, and much more prevalent.

So there's your challenge, I'll support an outdoor smoking ban when autos are banned in cities with adequate public tranportation, such as here and NYC. Until then- hello tree, this is forest.

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Do you walk past roads on this journey? You will be breathing in far more car exhust fumes on this journey then the small amount of smoke from smokers. They are already hounded enough these days without making it illegal to smoke in a public outside place.

I am all for baning people smoking on steps though :D

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I don't like cigarette smoke either and I am all for the indoor smoking ban, but an outdoor ban seems a bit much.
    I do sometimes wish smokers would back the frick away from the doors and stairs because walking through a massive cloud of stanky smoke isn't nice. That's a tough one though because on many city streets there isn't a lot of room or places for them to go but right outside the door/stairs. Frustrating as it is, that cloud of smoke, I wouldn't feel right about giving them the boot outdoors.

Well not everyone driving into the city necessarily has public transport/cycling options, but that's not a bad point. I'm sure the goal should always be for less air pollution over all.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If you're outside the city, that's one thing. But I really do think that if you live in the city and have access to public transportation, you should have to prove a need for a car in order to drive on a daily basis.

21. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Not sure how I'd feel about that but maybe that will happen one day. There are certainly ways of discouraging excess driving into cities, such as the London congestion charge… as if the complete displeasure of driving in traffic on funky little complicated streets was not enough discouragement. :D

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, I was just illustrating what it would take for me to support an outdoor smoking ban. I don't expect this to ever happen, because I doubt anyone would support it.

23. trule macrumors 6502

The problem there is that people would live longer requiring more financial support as they age until eventually they die of something else. So government is perhaps not too worried if people are dying from smoking so long as they do the dying past the retirement age when they can no longer be taxed and are essentially of little use to government other that being regular voters.

The government most likely sees smokers as a source of revenue, both directly via tax and indirectly via reduced care and pension costs. It also helps to placate the annoying people in the health lobby.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Because my religion tells me that breathing has always been between a person and the air, not between a person and a fag.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sad, but true. They banned smoking indoors here in Chicago, then a year later the city cried that it's cigarette tax revenue was way down. Hello? What did they think would happen?