Smoking: Social Leper... Along with other thing's

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by liketom, Jul 3, 2007.

1. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

well i've been trying to give up the weed since new year and i had January and Febuary off as i stopped dead on the smoking front , but March was the month when work was getting to me along with other things and then April came along with a new surprise : My wife is pregnant! Due Date of 25th December !
    so been a hard time, not being anywhere near my wife while i'm chuffing on the death sticks.... and now in the UK there is a Smoking ban in Pub's so i'm feeling the squeeze even more... ARRRRRGGGGHHHH

so what to do.. My Mrs is pregnant with my child ( good stuff ) , work is always shi* and i'm at a all time high with stress

next week we've booked our self's in Center Parks for a relaxing week off but this year is going crazy!

Am i the only one ?

:(

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

tut tut, Mr. Tom :( you should really give up on that weed now. If not for you then for your wife and child.

Stress! Oh I had a lovely slice of that last week. Caroline thought she was pregnant so that really got me very worried. Couldn't sleep for days. Also had to collect my degree from university and find out my exact level, the 2 hour travel to university was a nightmare. It was like a prolonged panic attack :D

3. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

If you're gonna have a kid, give up. I can think of no better reason to give up.

Still don't like this smoking ban. If I'm gonna have to work the longest hours in Europe in order to afford the cost of living in the UK, then I should be allowed to drink like a fish and smoke like a chimney when I go out.

4. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

it's a wonderfull thing stress ! when you are, you think your the only one who is

not a night has gone by since knowing my wife is pregnant , that i've tried to work out my life and what to do to make it better

always feels too little too late :(

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If I'm gonna have to work the longest hours in Europe in order to afford the cost of living in the UK, then I should be allowed to drink like a fish and not breathe in smoke, and come home stinking of smoke when I go out. ;)

6. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

i agree , my release is the pub with some complete wan*ers , make me smile and go home less stressed

(BTW i go to the pub fri after work whilst my wife is out having dinner with her mates , before anyon ask's )

i Hear you Blue and i do agree - non smokers do not deserve to smoke my second hand smoke but that's why i drink in very non normal places ( ie ... high street pub's where every one smokes drinks and ... )

7. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I knew a guy who wanted to quit smoking because he had kids but just couldn't do it. He didn't want his kids to know he was a smoker so he would only smoke at work and when they weren't around. It was a rather sad picture -- a 45+ year old man hiding the fact that he was a smoker from his teenage kids. I tried to get him to quit so he didn't have to eventually tell his kids he had been lying to them all these years when they actually found out.

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

QFT!

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Are you talking about stopping smoking marijuana or tobacco? If the latter, hell yes, cigarettes are nassssstaaaay. The former however, that's a tough one to call quits on entirely. :p :eek: I really cherish the occasional toke.

You've got the best reason for both, however. Congratulations. :)

10. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

yes i see what your saying there , but from a smoker (part timer as i call my excuse)
    i know i can do it - i feel i can do it but the big word is BUT it's what life chucks at you and life does chuck crap at you , i feel i can do it i want to do it ,i'm just scared i'm going to fail again at it -

Tobacco :eek:

i feel a page has been turned against the smoker in the UK which is a good thing IMO but it's hard as a smoker wanting to give up

11. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I wish you the best of luck! I know that bad habits die hard, but you can do it if you put all of your heart and desire into it.

12. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

thank's mate :)

13. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Then don't go to a pub ;)

14. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

Liketom Ducks for cover

15. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Smoking saves lives. Otherwise I'd have to kill everybody who pisses me off.:p :cool: ;)

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Well, I can now, and enjoy it too. ;)

Anyway, outdoors air is so good for you. Roll on February. :D

Actually, I'm an ex-ciggie smoker and hate vigilant and whiny anti-smokers. At a party, the best laffs are usually with the smokers. But still, you guys don't half pong sometimes. :D

17. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

oh yeah then, by all means, ditch that habit!
    I know what you mean, I think smokers are becoming persona non grata these days.

I used to smoke. It was lousy for a few weeks but as time went on it got easier and easier. It's been 6 years, not a chance I'd smoke a cig again.
    I didn't do the whole "once I finish this pack..." thing either. It seemed therapeutic to break them into bits and throw them away.

I also figured how much money I spent on it and I saved up that amount for several months and bought myself stuff with it... very satisfying.

anyway, good luck mate!

18. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Do it for the kid, you don't wanna set a bad example do you? ;)

19. liketom thread starter macrumors 601

liketom

my kid will know how to use a mac and ipod from a very early age :D and just as a taste of things bad pc too

the nono smoking will come, just when i'm strong enough to take it on again.

did i say my mrs i pregnant !!! i'm having a little liketom 2 !!! woooohooo

:D :D

20. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I quit smoking cold-turkey when I found out my wife was pregnant - that was 7 years ago and now I can't stand smoking (tobacco) - iBlue is right when she says y'all pong.

While the nicotine patches etc might have helped, the best thing really was to agonize my way through it. Honestly, I'd recommend it. What really helped was being in a close, non-smoking environment with a smoker about 3 weeks after I'd quit.That really put me off.

Anyway, you know it's going to be better for you, your wife, and your kid if you stop now.. go for it.

21. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Congrats on the kid!

If you are still smoking when he is a little kid, he will remember you smoking, and therefore, will find it the norm. Then, if he starts smoking, you can't tell him not to, because you were a smoker ;)

22. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

I don't smoke :rolleyes:

I just don't think everyone should have to do whatever is most convenient for me. But that's not very fashionable these days ;)

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You mistake convenience for courtesy.

24. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Oh dear. If we have to enforce courteous behaviour by law then we've reached a pretty low point.

Perhaps we should outlaw farting in public? That's pretty discourteous.

Anyway, I thought this was about health?! :confused:

25. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

The way I see it, you don't have a choice. You can be yourself, or do what someone else tells you through fear mongering and whining. Neither of those are choices.

"Oh the evil smokers gonna kill all teh kiddies..."- My father smoked indoors when I was a kid. I was the healthiest kid in any of my classes. Even set records in track.

Now that I'm an adult who smokes, I'm the healthiest person I know. ALL the health nuts get the common cold or seasonal flu, I get neither. I don't get vaccinations either.

Drunks who feel the need to "smell pretty and fresh" (heavy on the whining voice) while at a BAR need to get some cash together and start their own bar.
    Nothing makes you a bigger @$$ than trying to tell other people what to do.

My advice for a soon to be father.
    Congrats mate.