Smoking Voids Your Apple Care Warranty.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AP_piano295, Jun 8, 2011.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Par for the course. Afaik you would be fired for smoking on the apple campus. They are playing too much at controlling everything.

2. nizmoz macrumors 65816

They are right. They should not repair it. I have had to fix computers from heavy smokers. They smell bad, and they have a sticky coating all inside of them from that and it causes problems with dust, and the fans. It will destroy the computer over time. I hated working on computers like that.

3. 184550 Guest

4. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Than that term should be listed in the terms and conditions of Apple Care which appears not to be the case.

Unless you accurately inform people of the terms and conditions than they cannot be expected to comply.

EDIT:

And it may be reasonable for apple to refuse service to "smoked on" computers (I wouldn't mind). But they absolutely must inform customers of this requirement or they're in breach of contract.

5. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Simple, just throw it in the AC terms and they're being perfectly reasonable. That nasty tar layer left from being around smokers is a great way to gum up moving parts/inhibit cooling. There's a reason I always specify that my machines are non-smoker when I sell them...

6. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Maybe a warning sticker on cigarett packs would be nice: smoking risk your extended PC warranty.
    Beside that I think it would make sense. Macs are not made for hardcore outside usage. And inside smoking gives also stress to the hardware not designed for.
    Plus SJ said last time in the city council meeting that he has some strong feeling against smoking due to private experience. The only thing is: customer needs to know before ...

7. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

cigarette tar should definitely fall under OSHA standards due to the toxicity

8. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Proof?

9. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Same here. They have this greasy, black dust that sticks to everything, and I have no problem believing that it causes problems with the computer.

10. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If they won't fix it they should give you a new one so they don't have to 'contaminate' themselves while still honoring the warranty.

11. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

tar by definition is chemical residue from cigarettes, the toxicity of the stuff in cigarettes is well known.

12. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

they already tell you the warranty doesn't cover damage caused by they user

13. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Exactly. This is broad and covers lots of stuff, including water damage and it seems cigarette damage.

They don't spell it out that hitting your computer with a hammer repeatedly will void the warranty, they shouldn't have to spell it for smokers either.

14. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If we are talking about a tar buildup on internal components, I can see this. But I also understand the frustration if you are using your Mac in an environment you can't control. Now if you are the one who's smoking... This would be a good thing to advertise with Apple Care because it is no where near as apparent as dropping it or whacking it with a hammer. ;)

15. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Regardless, it's still not Apple's fault where you use the computer.

16. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

So should living in a dis-proportionately dusty house also void the warranty?

Dropping, hitting, spilling water on are obviously examples of damaging a computer.

But

-smoking
    -burning incense
    -living in a dusty house
    -using your computer in high humidity home
    -using your computer in a high humidity environment

All of these things could decrease the lifespan of the computer or have no effect at all. These I would argue are no implied by apple's terms and conditions.

17. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

Apple needs to tell people what their warranty covers. It's illegal to sell a warranty implying support and than refusing to grant that support though apple hasn't explicitly stated which environmental factors are acceptable and which aren't.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

That's not my point. My point is that Apple should be clarifying in large print, these types of warranty limitations.

19. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I believe Apple has in their policy that if there was a foreign substance found in the laptops the warranty would be voided. Well this falls under this policy. :rolleyes:

Simple fix, quit smoking and you don't have anything to cry about.