SMS export in iphone 'chat' view?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Veinticinco, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Veinticinco macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Longshot really but I wonder if anyone knows of any Mac s/w that can export and display SMS/text messages from an iphone in a similar graphical format - the chat 'bubbles'? Not for any aesthetic reasons but simply to show a chain of correspondence back and forth.

It's a VERY long chain of communication and short of taking hundreds of screengrabs, so any help would be appreciated. The ubquitous online SMS tools are very basic PC-type database readers and are not of any use really.

2. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Yeah, there is. I do this from time to time when I want to delete stuff of my phone, but not delete completely. It's called PhoneView. It exports it into text bubbles as a PDF.

3. Veinticinco thread starter macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

Really appreciate that thanks!

Just tried out the demo and looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. Couple of final questions though based on your use (their FAQs are extremely basic) as can't tell from demo...

1. When you export to PDF, are the numbers (both parties) displayed alongside the date/time-stamp?

2. Does it export any images sent as MMS in the sequence? Even as thumbnails would be helpful.

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

1. The date/time is stamped for each message for the sender/receiver. But, the phone number is not displayed. Only the name of the contact at the header. There is a footer for your phone number.

2. It exports the full images. It shows it in the PDF, but it actually also downloads it in the the same folder that the PDF is in as its own jpgs.

This is how a sample back and forth conversation looks like:

[​IMG]

Like I said, with MMS, it'll show there and fully exported. If your contact contains a picture, their picture will attach.

5. Veinticinco thread starter macrumors 6502a

Veinticinco

6. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

No prob. Always happy to help a fellow text archiver.

Can you let me know if you find any new features (probably not) when you're archiving your texts. Features that are aside from normal procedures for routine archiving.