Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Looks like SMS will indeed be integrated with Hangouts. I'm still getting the... well, "hang" of Hangouts but for sure will be inclined to use it more if it did SMS/MMS too.

gplus-sms-650x294.png

http://9to5google.com/2013/05/16/google-hangouts-will-soon-include-sms-integration/

Michael

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Facebook messenger can already do it.... Just saying....

Yes.... but it does it badly in my opinion. I had to go back to Handcent, since the SMS options were so very minimal in fb messenger.

More importantly, it's not integrated in the way iMessage is. I'm hoping that hangouts will identify by phone number and auto-revert to SMS if needed. (If fb messenger does that I didn't see it.)

Michael

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I think Google kind of missed the boat here. Chat Heads really seem to be the ideal messaging system, and those already incorporate SMS. Hangouts does have better group chat, and video calling, though. I wish the two were combined.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think Google kind of missed the boat here. Chat Heads really seem to be the ideal messaging system, and those already incorporate SMS. Hangouts does have better group chat, and video calling, though. I wish the two were combined.

Yeah if only we had some form of 'babel' messaging system that took 'all your messaging sources from WhatsApp, Facebook, Google+, SMS etc..' and then integrated them into one ...... We can but dream ....... ;)

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Yeah if only we had some form of 'babel' messaging system that took 'all your messaging sources from WhatsApp, Facebook, Google+, SMS etc..' and then integrated them into one ...... We can but dream ....... ;)

I have to say Hangouts is not what I was expecting "Babel" to be!

Maybe I don't do group "chats" enough.

Michael

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I will be ecstatic if this ends up happening. The one thing I prefer iMessage for is SMS over wifi......bringing SMS to Hangouts would allow me to do so through my phone number so I won't need to have multiple messaging apps and usernames and such.

Excellent!

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
I wouldn't expect this on iOS. One of the articles said Apple doesn't allow it. It would be an Android only feature.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
While this would be an awesome move, it wouldn't really effect me much, sadly. About 50% of my contacts are on iOS, the other 50% on Android (I also know one person with the WP). Unfortunately, my top two contacts are also split (one uses a 4S the other a GNex). So poo. But I am still pretty excited.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Finally was able to update Talk to Hangouts. Weird thing is the Talk icon didn't update and change to the Hangouts icon.. anyone else have this happen?

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Am I the only one who doesn't actually want Google integrating itself with my texts?

Also even if SMS integration does happen, it'll only work with Android anyway, and the whole point of this is it's multiplatform.

I'm looking forward to crossplatform BBM more than this. Hangouts still looks like a mess, it's just a slightly more condensed mess compared to Google's previous mess.

El3ctronics

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2011
NYC
Am I the only one who doesn't actually want Google integrating itself with my texts?

Also even if SMS integration does happen, it'll only work with Android anyway, and the whole point of this is it's multiplatform.

I'm looking forward to crossplatform BBM more than this. Hangouts still looks like a mess, it's just a slightly more condensed mess compared to Google's previous mess.

It'll be an option just like it is with iMessage and with Facebook Messenger. If you don't want to use it, you won't have to use it. Stop complaining for the sake of complaining.

EDIT: Also, one of the best aspect of Hangouts is the ability to use it on your computer via the web. You can't do that with Whatsapp, BBM etc.

Last edited:

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Who is really going to use this though? google + is pretty vacant.
Especially with whatsup, facebook, and imessage.:confused:

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
Not impressed with Hangouts so far

Why do I not see the same information in gMail chat window, Google+ Chat and now Hangouts

Each one shows only a selection of people that I have in Contacts/G+, they are all Google services so should mirror each other

First impressions are it's no better than Talk

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
It'll be an option just like it is with iMessage and with Facebook Messenger. If you don't want to use it, you won't have to use it. Stop complaining for the sake of complaining.

I'm aware, I just don't see the appeal in it. If you want to send someone a text just send them a text.

EDIT: Also, one of the best aspect of Hangouts is the ability to use it on your computer via the web. You can't do that with Whatsapp, BBM etc.

Why do you need to use the same messaging service on your computer as you do on your phone? You can talk to someone on BBM or SMS with your phone then message them on Facebook when you get to your computer, it's not complicated.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Not impressed with Hangouts so far

Why do I not see the same information in gMail chat window, Google+ Chat and now Hangouts

Each one shows only a selection of people that I have in Contacts/G+, they are all Google services so should mirror each other

First impressions are it's no better than Talk

The only reason I have google+ is because it allows for unlimited photo storage and instant upload

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Why do you need to use the same messaging service on your computer as you do on your phone? You can talk to someone on BBM or SMS with your phone then message them on Facebook when you get to your computer, it's not complicated.
I would much rather use one service to carry on a conversation rather than switching to another if I happen to be at a PC.

iMessage doesn't cut-it as it is Apple only. Whatsapp doesn't cut it because of its lack of desktop support--heck, lack of more than one device support (hate that about it). BBM isn't cross-platform yet so no point considering it. Also not fond of going back to anything BB.

I might have to force myself to like fb messenger. Just about everyone is on fb, plus the option to use sms. Just wish it had more options. Right now, for instance, my LED is set to blink blue on texts coming (via Handcent). Facebook messenger is green. But if I use fb messenger for SMS then the notifications for both SMS and fb messages would be green.

I know, first-world problems and all that. Prior to 6 months ago I spent nearly 5 1/2 years using LED-less iPhones. Here I am now complaining about the right LED colors. :)

Michael

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.