sn0wbreeze Jailbreaks iPhone OS 3.1.3 : blackra1n & ultrasn0w Can Still Unlock

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Damon Hill, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Damon Hill macrumors regular

Via ModMyI:

I was able to download everything and create the custom ipsw. Just havent tried to restore yet on my 3Gs. Anyone else tried it yet?

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Has iH8sn0w removed the Apple code from Snowbreeze? If not, nobody should use or support this software, as it endangers the future of all jailbreaks.

3. sshams95 macrumors member

I'm gonna wait for Dev Team....I just trust them more than anyone else.

4. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I'll wait for Geohot.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

1,000,000+

Musslenerd and Geohot both said 3.1.3 is a very minor update any way. Geohot said he not bothering with it and I don't think the Dev team is either.

6. sshams95 macrumors member

And I don't blame them...nor am I waiting for it either. The point of my post is that I trust the Dev Team fully as I don't know who snowbreeze is.

7. zander271 macrumors member

What does this mean? I have been kinda out of the jailbreaking loop since 3.0.1 on my 3g that is unlocked. I was not able to install some apps because it needed 3.1+ and figured it was time to upgrade. Looks like some things have changed and i need to do some homework before I touch anything ;)

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

you will have a LONG wait it would seem

http://twitter.com/geohot/status/8595092166

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

I also agree 100% just want people not to expect anything till next firmware release

10. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Actually, from reading MuscleNerd's tweets it seems (at least to me) they are testing a PT version to work with 3GS.

12. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

iH8sn0w, who made this new tool Snowbreeze did two very bad things when he made it:

1) He included copyrighted Apple code in the program, making it an illegal to distribute. Patching code that is legally obtained is not illegal, but including copyrighted code in an application most definitely is. Snowbreeze was therefore the first ever illegal jailbreak, and gives Apple real ammunition in the jailbreak=piracy argument.

2) He used GPL-licensed code created by the Dev-Team (most of his app is based on Dev-Team code) without crediting the Dev-Team and, more importantly, without following through on his obligation to release the source code of his application and to license his GPL-code-derived application under the GPL.

So not only has iH8sn0w endangered all our jailbreaks by creating a truly illegal jailbreak app, he has also violated the foundational principles of free software by stealing GPL code and incorporating it into proprietary closed-source software.

13. zander271 macrumors member

Hmm that does not sound good. I think I'm going to wait until this illegal bit is cleared up before I download and use this software. Is this trackable by Apple in anyway?

14. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I know the Apple code was included when the beta's were released, but I thought I read where he has since removed the Apple code.

In either case, I just don't trust his tools enough to dare trying them as I have a 3Gs and it seems the tools are screwing up the 3GS models.

15. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

After reading some blogs I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. Besides, MuscleNerd has already said that PT 3.1.3 is nearly ready. Now, this probably won't jailbreak a new 3GS already on 3.1.3...but it will work if you have the old bootrom, and it will allow a smooth upgrade for those already jailbroken. I don't know why anyone wouldn't wait.

16. labman macrumors 604

labman

tweet from Musclenerd on Snowbreeze

MuscleNerd

At the risk of sounding "mean", everyone please stay away from sn0wbreeze until they've fixed it, or wait for PT, or just ignore 3.1.3.

Also

MuscleNerd

@geohot Since 3.1.3 offers no new features, I think of it more as a way to get people used to downgrading to 3.1.2 via http://is.gd/7IRnj

and last from Geohot!

geohot

I hear rumors going around that the 3.1.3 jailbreak is hard. It isn't. But the only people it helps are those dumb enough to upgrade. Sorry.

17. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

By itself, it sounds harsh, but you should see the harassment he got from people demanding an untethered jailbreak...it's hard to blame him for being a little cynical about iPhone users.

18. labman macrumors 604

labman

honestly

I think both Gorge and the Dev-team would like a little breathing room. I think they are also pointing out this is a very minor update. people always expect a new Jailbreak for every version and expect it now! :rolleyes: then everybody complains and blames the jailbreak for every problem. yet can't even search to find a tutorial how to jailbreak it. yet they know enough about it to know what caused it!

19. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Did you mean the version of Pwnage Tool to JB 3.1.3 ?

I believe at one time PT 3.1.3 was an iPod tool.

20. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

21. sixner macrumors newbie

I'm leary about this.. i need to take my phone to the apple store for an issue, but i would assume they would auto update my phone to the new software... which would leave me JB-less until the next update.