Snake-handling Preacher Dies of Snake Bite

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
(CNN) -- A Kentucky pastor who starred in a reality show about snake-handling in church has died -- of a snakebite.
Jamie Coots died Saturday evening after refusing to be treated, Middleborough police said.

On "Snake Salvation," the ardent Pentecostal believer said that he believed that a passage in the Bible suggests poisonous snakebites will not harm believers as long as they are anointed by God. The practice is illegal in most states, but still goes on, primarily in the rural South.

[snip]

The National Geographic show featured Coots and cast handling all kinds of poisonous snakes -- copperheads, rattlers, cottonmouths. The channel's website shows a picture of Coots, goateed, wearing a fedora. "Even after losing half of his finger to a snake bite and seeing others die from bites during services," Coots "still believes he must take up serpents and follow the Holiness faith," the website says.

[snip]
Full article: http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/16/us/snake-salvation-pastor-bite/

I will never understand the rationalization of people who believe praying to their god is all that's needed to keep them safe and prosperous.

Last edited:

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I recall this exact thing happening to a pastor and then to his son too in South America (I think). Family guy parodied it too :D

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Well, Darwin sure won this round of the Evolution vs Creationism debate... :D

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
He might have misinterpreted "serpent" to mean "poisonous snake" in Mark 16:18. Attending a bible college or seminary could have prevented such a tragedy.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
Boas are much more forgiving when you are proven wrong. :)
I think a Boa would bite a whole lot more, and those bites hurt pretty bad(so I've heard). Venomous snakes don't just go around wasting, so they probably bite less.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think a Boa would bite a whole lot more, and those bites hurt pretty bad(so I've heard). Venomous snakes don't just go around wasting, so they probably bite less.
I've had several pet boa constrictors over the years, and mostly they are docile as long as you keep them fed. ;) I may have been stuck a couple of times, but it never tried to really bite me.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
I've had several pet boa constrictors over the years, and mostly they are docile as long as you keep them fed. ;) I may have been stuck a couple of times, but it never tried to really bite me.
Do you play loud music, jump up & down with the snake, and shouting while passing it of to multiple handlers? :p

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Really think they should be testing their faith with black mamba's. it would eliminate the church if a few days. Most of these churches are in isolated low income locations where education is a pretty low priority.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Really think they should be testing their faith with black mamba's. it would eliminate the church if a few days. Most of these churches are in isolated low income locations where education is a pretty low priority.

Does your bigotry hurt when you express it? Cause it should.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
Where is the bigotry? did I say they were dumb rednecks? the churches tend to be in low income isolated communities. And yes the people tend to have lower education. not sure how else to say it really. I did not pass judgment on them as people but as idiots for handling snakes. sorry that offends you.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
Please explain how this is bigoted, he has a point with regards to the very premise of this thread. You play with the bull, you deal with the horns; you play head of the snake, you deal with the fangs. Plain and simple, regardless of any religion tacked onto it.

Furthermore, From the Dictionary:

bigotry |ˈbigətrē|
noun
bigoted attitudes; intolerance toward those who hold different opinions from oneself
No intolerance mentioned in his post, so it makes us believe you don't know the meaning of the word.

BL.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I actually hope the remaining staff are smart enough to discontinue the practice. I don't find this to be that funny, because the person really sounds stupid or misguided rather than disingenuous. In the case of the preacher, he was apparently brought up around it. I do hope their remaining staff learns from this.

Sedulous

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2002
I wonder why nobody has started a sitting in giant furnaces church yet. Good old Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego from Daniel 1-3 could stand in a giant Babylonian furnace because of their faith.

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
I wonder why nobody has started a sitting in giant furnaces church yet. Good old Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego from Daniel 1-3 could stand in a giant Babylonian furnace because of their faith.
I'm trying to imagine what a giant furnace would cost to run.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
I actually hope the remaining staff are smart enough to discontinue the practice. I don't find this to be that funny, because the person really sounds stupid or misguided rather than disingenuous. In the case of the preacher, he was apparently brought up around it. I do hope their remaining staff learns from this.
Don't see how. Given the risk level, this can't be the first time this has happened. They get something they need from the practice so unless that need goes away there's little reason to change. The price is just the price.