Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
may i ask how?
I use debit card on the website, it's been charged
I'm still waiting but to be sure I get something similar I also pledge Magneo today
what's the method of "pulling out"? didn't see any option on the site

I'd recommend never using a debit card for online purchases. There are not nearly as many protections for debit cards and if anyone ever gets ahold your card number, then it's your money on the line. If you use a credit card, then it's the banks money. The only thing I ever use my debit card for is the occasional ATM withdrawal, and that's it. Since you used debit, you're likely SOL.

I backed this project as well and if there are no shipments or at least reviews by reputable websites by February 1st, I'm going to attempt a chargeback on my CC. Hopefully I get it, but if not I'm only out $30. Supposedly review units were sent out weeks ago, so any decent website would've had time to publish a review by now.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
So yeah, this situation sucks, but it's not Kickstarter's fault; it's just a tool/website used by both legitimate people, and like on ebay, ect.. also some not so legitimate ones.

Agree, but one difference is that eBay has feedback which helps.

cubalibre

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
If you ordered thru the website, there are numerous protections to ensure you will get your product. No worries there (unless it is a scam and you gave them your credit card info). If you used paypal, you have nothing to worry about as well.

This is the first KS I have backed, and at $30 I'm not out too much. KS does say there is no guarantee, so it is a risk. A new product/company being a few weeks late at shipping orders is nothing unusual. Sure, there are a few things that don't look well-polished, but I'm going to be patient and see what happens. If it keeps getting pushed back again and again, then I'll consider pulling out.

Thanks, used PayPal fortunately, crossing my fingers, would really like this product to be real and good. If not, will give contacting PayPal a shot.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
With the promise of not only power but data/video transfer, this would seem like the holy grail of 3rd-party magsafe. Guess it comes down to whether you're willing to gamble 35 bucks that it's not a hopeless dream or an outright scam.
Sure would be sweet if they came through and it works.

I'd mainly worry about accidentally losing a connection to an external drive, though. (accidentally losing connection during data transfer has worse consequences than simply accidentally losing power)

As I think about it more, however, I don't really like the idea. If I'm sitting somewhere with enough desk space to attach more peripherals, like an external drive, display, etc., I'm probably not at risk of tripping over the cable, either. Not saying it's impossible (my own layout at home means my power cable goes off the same side of the table where I walk), but I don't think most people would have their display or drives on another table or desk separate from their computer.

Maybe the basic, power-only Snapnator, or Griffin's similar doodad, is a better practical way to get MagSafe back.

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Got this today. Will see what happens.

Dear Backers,

We would like to let you know that we will start shipping your rewards this 2nd week of February. We will be providing tracking number and will start sending it to you via private message on Kickstarter a few days after. Please be mindful that we have about 10,000 rewards to ship so it will take us a few weeks at least in order to finish everything.

We will do our best to give you updates weekly of our progress. We will start rewards shipping with the early backers.

Much Love,

SN Team

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Hopefully this isn't a ploy to get backers to delay contacting their credit card company until it is too late to get a refund. And I wouldn't trust this product to be safe anymore than I would trust the company to actually provide it at this point.

Reactions: Olipop

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Got this today. Will see what happens.

Dear Backers,

We would like to let you know that we will start shipping your rewards this 2nd week of February. We will be providing tracking number and will start sending it to you via private message on Kickstarter a few days after. Please be mindful that we have about 10,000 rewards to ship so it will take us a few weeks at least in order to finish everything.

We will do our best to give you updates weekly of our progress. We will start rewards shipping with the early backers.

Much Love,

SN Team
Another stall tactic to lull the backer into a false sense of security, thus delaying contacting the credit card company. I don't believe a word they say.

Rankrotten

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
UK
OK I also backed this via Kickstarter and feel foolish to have been taken in by it. They will have my funds but hopefully not my credit card details .

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I also backed these guys... I have a feeling this is indeed one big scam. Paid by creditcard. No idea how it would be possible to prove my credit card company this is a scam.
Dont think they will refund me by just telling them: " I have a feeling this is a scam, I would like to be refunded''.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
If you took part in this Kickstarter project, contact your credit card company asap. The project is a scam. The originator has just stated, that shipping will not occur until mid February, due to Chinese New Year. The Snapnator website doesn't even have a valid certificate signing. People have asked for production photos and the scammer(s) keep making excuses. Act now before you lose your right to dispute.

This is good advice.

werpu

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2017
This is good advice.
Thank god that I paid via paypal. If they do not deliver by march then I will contact paypal to get a refund. I just checked their buyers protection, it is valid half a year but you have to contact the seller first. The guy definitely will not answer or just with a shady excuse if he is a scammer.

Reactions: MH01

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
If you paid by CC you have 60 days to file a claim from the date it posted to your statement if it's longer than that they will not file a claim. It's shorter for Debit cards I believe.

If you paid by PayPal your only recourse is waiting to see if product is delivered as promised they will request you contact the seller first and then their resolution center will see if the campaign has expired. Most people are just going to have to wait it out to see if they deliver as promised. I'll never back one of these type campaigns. If it goes bad, it's nothing but a he said she said thing and you get tossed around back and forth, no one helps you in the end and your out the money. It's a cat & mouse game.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Kickstarter is a scam. Somehow they have managed to convince the general public it's a good idea. I guess a fool and their money is soon parted.

A few years ago the normal business model would be for an individual or company to produce a new product at their own cost and risk. It might crash and burn, the manufacturer losing their money in the process. Or they might seek investment, the investor sharing the risk but in return receives stock so if the product takes off they also share in the financial rewards.

With Kickstarter the consumer takes on the risk but receives nothing in return if the product is a success. Pretty much a win-win for the Kickstarter project but lose for the buyer. Receiving the product does not count as a win, you could have bought it off the shelf without any risk if it was produced via the standard model.

Backer 'rewards' are either non-existent or worthless. For example a t-shirt that costs $2 to manufacture is not an adequate reward with tangible value. They remind me of collectors editions of games, super-sizing at McDonald's or coffee with all the extras at Starbucks. Incredibly low cost to the supplier but the buyer gets suckered in by marketing.

Last edited:

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
If you paid by CC you have 60 days to file a claim from the date it posted to your statement if it's longer than that they will not file a claim. It's shorter for Debit cards I believe.

American Express doesn't have a time limit, at least for my card. I'm going to wait a bit and see if they follow through or not. Hoping it's not a scam, but there's always that chance in internet commerce.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
So whatever happen with this? There are so many comments on this kickstarter page from people who pledged and they are realizing this has to be a scam. People have posted in the comments that test units have been sent out to some people but others say this is false and at this time they should be sending out production units not test units, some are saying this is yet another delay.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/436147229/snapnator-your-macbook-snap-feature-is-back/comments
Definitely a scam. There are only two guys saying that they received test units. And if you do a little digging, you will find the same two guys have been saying the same things in past scams with the same people. They are all in it together. All lies.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I just hope most of those backers got their money back from their credit card companies.

kbk75

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009
I'm guilty of sending my money their way, too, after another MR forums member told me he'd ordered one! I'm filing a claim with my CC company to get my money back.
[doublepost=1487710486][/doublepost]
just buy the griffin break safe

That thing doesn't have very good reviews and it isn't even listed as being compatible with the 15" 2016 MBP.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
just buy the griffin break safe

I purchased one of these today, based on your recommendation, but have to say that I am unhappy with it. I don't know if I just got a bad one, but it seems to separate under the weight of its own cord. I used to get frustrated with how easily the magsafe connector separated from my previous laptop, but this griffin one comes apart if I look at it wrong.

esaelias

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2016
I purchased one of these today, based on your recommendation, but have to say that I am unhappy with it. I don't know if I just got a bad one, but it seems to separate under the weight of its own cord. I used to get frustrated with how easily the magsafe connector separated from my previous laptop, but this griffin one comes apart if I look at it wrong.

mine was ok but it has weakened a little

kbk75

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2009

That's what I read about it, guess the search continues for a MagSafe replacement

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
This is why I avoid Kickstarter and other crowd funding. There are no guarantees. Even if someone isn't a scammer, but things happen that they can't make it through you are still out of luck. You are basically gambling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.