("Sneak Peak" 1.5 Update), Mummy's Revenge Video showcasing the future of App Quality

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by JBmoney13, May 29, 2009.

1. JBmoney13 macrumors newbie

"Mummy's Revenge" is now in the App Store:

http://www.itunes.com/apps/mummysrevenge

As promised for my supporters, here are some new weapons pics for the 1.5 update (At the bottom of the post). Pretty cool. IMHO , I can't wait to melee the Mummy's!!! Machete time!!! And Yes the Magnums are dual magnums that shoot both sides left and right at the same time. NICE! Some of the SFX are also getting an overhaul. Tell me your thoughts please.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Here are some issues I am already aware of in regards to the game:

1) Audio has some volume issues.
    2) Vibrate switch when activated on the iPhone causes a bug in the Hero's movement.

An update has been submitted to fix these bugs.

I do have another update planned for this month:

4 new weapons
    new backgrounds
    new enemy boss
    increased difficulty settings (Easy, Normal, and Hard)

Thanks again
    --------------------------------------
    I truly believe the next wave of games being released in the Summer, especially with the new SDK, is going to blow everyone away. As a developer myself, i was surprised to see how well apples device was able to handle what we threw at it.

However the games will be limited until Apple upgrades the hardware in the unit, but developers including myself are working hard to push the iPhone and iPod touch to the limit:

Here is an example of a good Frame Rate with a highly detailed graphical game:

Video 1: (Link)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faqG2IoMW6g

Video 2: (Link) Now this Video shows some skill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBBXOUklzXw

This particular App (Mummy's Revenge) has been submitted to Apple and the release date will be announced shortly.

With games like this from an indie gaming company, and games like The Sims from larger developers, I can see the gaming division of the app store being even a greater success. We may even see an increase in game prices, justifiably so. This is the same trend seen in larger consoles, from the first wave of games till the end of the cycle for the system. I wonder if Apple considers updating its hardware in the same way. Reverse compatibility would be key as well as keeping the overall structure of the phone the same so developers are not stuck developing for a small market. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

JB
    CEO, Apptastic Apps

Attached Files:

2. IUBall22 macrumors 6502

very good job promoting your own app

honestly, the game does not look fun and there are already other apps EXACTLY the same that are already out.

3. thomasanderson macrumors member

At all!:confused:

4. JBmoney13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the comment

Can you name another game other than Zombieville (Which was a smash hit by the way) that has similar gameplay with this type of quality?

I appreciate your response by the way. Everyone has their own tastes. I'm glad you didn't say anything negative about the quality, because that's what this post was about. Gameplay is subjective to whatever particular Genre you like.

Thanks again. :D

5. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Looks neat, except that it does look identical in game play to Zombieville. Walk, shoot, go into buildings to collect things. Identical.

I don't get it. I mean it does look nice and all, but it's like buying a new skin for the same game.

6. JBmoney13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I wanted to quote the creators of Zombieville (Mika Mobile):

"I just wanted to post here and say that I personally don't take any offense to what JB's doing here, or Kris's Sparta game for that matter. You can certainly draw some comparisons between my game and both of these, but its not like I invented walking sideways and killing endless bad guys. At least its not called Mummyville: Egypt :p "

"I've actually gotten some interesting ideas for modifying Zombieville from what I've seen other developers do with the formula, so like Kris says, competition is welcome."

I have much respect for this developer and I think we can all agree that giving the buyer choices and creating competition is a good thing. The truth is "Mummy's Revenge" does have innovative qualities to it, even from the design side and the coding side. A unique option in Mummy's Revenge is the use of grenades (big strategic part of the game). Also the game will be continually updated to add replay value.

Thanks again for the input. I like the discussion. If anyone else wants to chime in.

P.S. - You know its funny that the real developers don't have a problem with the "its a copy of another game thing" it could be because they understand inspiration sometimes comes from a game they played. ;)

7. English Glory macrumors newbie

English Glory

Hasn't this style of game been out for years, especially on the older nintendos and mega drive games, i know there different consoles but there is countless games on each console with the walking side to side, go in rooms and shooting style but people still played them, so you could say zombieville copied all the other games similar to this to, it's just developers are doing the best they can with what they've got on the Iphone, i think the graphics are quite good and my hat goes off to any one that has the knowledge to create such apps. Probably get hastle for this but IMO it's great the Iphone has such games and apps for fun but for "better graphics and games" buy a handheld gaming device, i'd like the Iphone to do everything but there are limits :)

8. IUBall22 macrumors 6502

i really do like the graphics....other than the grenades, is there anything else new or innovative?

9. Chumbake macrumors member

I think it looks sweet! Great graphics and an interesting character. I'd rather play as an Indiana jones type character rather than a redneck (no offense to any of you rednecks on this forum.)

10. uoogi macrumors newbie

I'd say the granddaddy of this genre is Rolling Thunder from Namco.

That game was loads of fun. Very challenging tho'.

You could jump and duck in addition to going into doors and whatnot. The enemies had interesting AI behavior as well.

Oh, and unlike Zombie and Mummy, you had to contend with enemies on two levels within the playfield.

11. JBmoney13 thread starter macrumors newbie

The control scheme and weapon selection are different as well as a boss type character instead of just the same repetitive Mummies. For $0.99 while on sale, you're getting a lot of replay value.

Simply put the game is gorgeous to play, it pushes the limits of the phone, we actually had to tone back and optimize the animations many many many times to get it to work on the iPhone (Memory Restrictions).

But I do understand that the people want something that will keep them excited and thats why the FREE updates will be adding new weapons each time, so basically every month a new set of weapons will be released until we come out with Joe Adventure 2 (The Hero in the game). This will be a whole new game with different themes and levels. If this game does well our budget will be a whole lot bigger. :)

If you like the quality you see now, imagine what innovations we can come up with when we have an even bigger budget. :D

12. JBmoney13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm glad you mentioned the "two levels within the playfield", we are considering this for Joe Adventure 2. As always I appreciate you input, and thanks to everyone who supports our project. I know that the MacRumors crowd is a tough crowd when it comes to games like this, but i knew i would find some gamers that would appreciate a developer willing to find them and listen to their needs and wants. :D

13. JBmoney13 thread starter macrumors newbie

"Mummy's Revenge" is now in the App Store:

http://www.itunes.com/apps/mummysrevenge

Here are some issues I am already aware of in regards to the game:

1) Audio has some volume issues.
    2) Vibrate switch when activated on the iPhone causes a bug in the Hero's movement.

An update has been submitted to fix these bugs.

I do have another update planned for this month:

4 new weapons
    new backgrounds
    new enemy boss
    increased difficulty settings (Easy, Normal, and Hard)

Thanks again

-------------------------

14. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I'm commenting late, but I want to clarify my point. I wasn't knocking the developer. In fact, I think given this game side by side with Zombieville, I'd choose this one. I already bought the other though, and it doesn't seem unique enough to justify another purchase—though it might for someone that doesn't already have either.

edit: Okay I bought it. I enjoyed the discussion about the friendly and creative competition between developers. I might only play it once (or 100 times, who knows?) but I do like to offer support.

15. williamgallas10 macrumors regular

Looks good...but...without real controls.....not so good.

16. iphonerain macrumors member

I think I was addicted to that game for about seven minutes. It'd be great if the new games being released can be a bit more diverse..

17. JBmoney13 thread starter macrumors newbie

william, you have an iPhone, know how I can tell because the Vibrate/Silent feature on the iPhone with 2.2.1 Operating System has a problem handling multiple audio channels. This is actually fixed in the 3.0 OS coming out hopefully next week (ask MacRumors I'm sure they know). All iPhone owners get the update for free and your game will work brilliantly, but if you want your game to work fine right now then just keep the Vibrate/Silent Feature OFF.

Anyone with an iPod Touch this game flows super smooth, and there is no glitch because you don't have a vibrate/silent switch. So enjoy.

Thanks again for letting me know the issues, I am here to serve. :D

18. JBmoney13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Thank you for your support,

I suggest spending $10 for an app with more diversity, because I can almost guarantee that $0.99 can't buy serious diversity with multiple graphical features and animation. For $0.99 on the other hand you should get an addictive gun toting non-stop action experience. That is the $0.99 tale of the tape, here are a few top net selling $0.99 games:

Flight Control, Zombieville ($1.99 now), iDracula, Sparta, iSniper

Are you noticing a trend, addictive yet simple, definitely not diverse. But go to the $4.99 level and up, more diversity and complex gameplay. There is a market for both, and its ok to dabble in both, there really are no set rules, hey go crazy spend $15, have a blast.

Suggestions for playing Mummy's Revenge:

Use headphones preferrably

Choose a hip cool song, or better yet a playlist of songs you like (the faster pace the better):

Start Mummy's Revenge, select No at the start up.

Start your new game or continue your game, and blast away. Let your competitive nature take control. :D

19. JBmoney13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sort of hurt you would think I would submit a game without real controls. :(

I'll get over it, just play it with the Vibrate/Silent Switch OFF and then report back to me. I'm interested in what you think since the controls actually do work. Thanks. :D

20. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I've been having some problems. First run ran well. Now I'm getting some crashing, and stalling. Sometimes the game controls lock and backlog button pushing. i.e. My guy will run for 5 or so seconds after I let go of the button and then start shooting way after I needed him to.

Had anything similar?

21. JBmoney13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi rKunda,

Thanks for the support, and I apologize for getting back to you so late. Couple of things about your problem, I am assuming you have the iPhone as well but please correct me if you don't. The current OS 2.2.1 has some issues that are causing problems with the vibrate/silent switch, please do not have your phone set to vibrate while playing. I know this can be annoying and we have submitted an update to apple to fix this issue. However you should also know that the problem is going to be fixed by the new OS 3.0 for you phone which should be coming out next week. Either way, your problem will be fixed. Then you can look forward to all the great updates that you will be receiving for free. All the people that bought the app for $0.99 are getting a deal. The price will go up once the new updates are in. Thanks again for your input and let me know about any other issues you find.

JB
    CEO
    Apptastic Apps

Link to: "Mummy's Revenge"

Thanks for everyone's support, the game has reached #45 on the Top Paid Arcade games list.

22. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Thanks for the reply. Huh, come to think of it, I think that was the variable that changed between my two times playing. I'll give that a go.

23. JBmoney13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sneak Peak UPDATE 1.5 Pics

For all the supporters, who have taken the plunge on "Mummy's Revenge, Here are some sneak Peak pics of the 1.5 Update which will be finished by the end of this month.

Just to show you guys, here are some new weapon pics. Pretty cool. IMHO , I can't wait to melee the Mummy's!!! Machete time!!! And Yes the Magnums are dual magnums that shoot both sides left and right at the same time. NICE! Some of the SFX are also getting an overhaul. Tell me your thoughts please.

Attached Files:

24. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A312g Safari/528.16)

I really like it. My son who is 7 loves it.
    For 59p it is great value.

25. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

Update looks fun.

2 problems. One, still getting crashes, though not very frequently. Also, weapons don't seem to save with games. I load up a saved game and only have a pistol. Stinks at higher levels.