SNES Emulator for iPhone?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by paulbennett95, Sep 3, 2013.

1. paulbennett95, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

3. paulbennett95 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

I'm sure it goes without saying but get it now and back it up to your computer before it's removed! Well worth the $0.99.

4. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

How do you back up to your computer? I mainly do icloud backups. If I pay the 99 cents for it, then it gets pulled shouldn't apple have to refund my money?

5. paulbennett95 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Apple doesn't have to refund anything I believe. And go to iTunes on your computer and it'll download a backup of the app to your computer automatically for syncing purposes.

6. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Oh, so I have to do an old fashioned sync with itunes, bleh it's been a long time. Would the program be saved to my icloud backup? I've been on the same backup since icloud came out.

7. paulbennett95 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

You don't need to sync your iPhone, iTunes will download a copy of the app (the .ipa) to your computer so that it can be synced from your computer to your iPhone if you delete it from your iPhone and wish to put it back on via syncing. It's not a backup like a phone backup, but a downloaded copy of the .ipa stored on your computer, because if the app gets pulled from the App Store I don't think you'll be able to redownload it at a later point, so having a copy of it already downloaded to your computer is beneficial.

I have a feeling I'm being confusing, I hope I'm not.

8. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

I'm thoroughly confused...I'm away from my computer until late tonight...I saw that my iPhone DL the app after I DL it on my IPad. Is it also now on my computer at home via iTunes?

9. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

No that makes sense, I just haven't hooked up my phone to my PC in literally years. I actually don't have itunes installed on my PC. I wish there was a program where I could just extract the .ipa from my iphone itself and save it in dropbox or something, maybe that exists for jailbroken phones.

Is there a way to backup that .ipa file on your PC? I'd hate to lose it if I reinstalled windows or something.

10. user-name-here macrumors 65816

On your computer while in iTunes simply click Library -> Apps -> Click the app and hold down the mouse to pull the it from your iTunes app section to your desktop as an IPA. Then you can upload it to dropbox or save it on a flash drive for safe keeping. If you ever reinstall windows then simply take that IPA file you saved and drag it back into your iTunes app section to make it available to sync to your iPhone again.

11. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Now we just need someone to sneak swiftkey into the App Store!

12. paulbennett95 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

You'll have to run iTunes on your PC, it'll automatically download it to your computer (along with any other apps that aren't in your PC's iTunes library)

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

Perfect, thanks.

14. paulbennett95 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

15. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

16. scott99 macrumors 6502a

You can get free snes roms and drop them into your dropbox, and they will show up on the app, supposedly.

17. paulbennett95 thread starter macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

Buy an SNES game cart and extract the game data to your computer via a process I do not know. There's probably a tutorial for it somewhere.

18. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Fixed that for you.

Google FTW - "SNES ROMS"

19. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

20. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Perfect timing before 5S comes out, thanks! saw a video of the quality and it sold me, figure if they remove it I can ask apple to return my 99cents right? lol Anyways I kept a copy of the IPA on my dropbox for some future need sicne the quality seems to be even better than the one in/was? cydia (I haven't used it in a long time though).

The only bad thing is it needs dropbox and I have 1.27GB of SNES roms lol, I will load my top twenty, for sure mario. :)

21. Applejuiced, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013

Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That seems to be a pain.
    I bought the app but now I have to go chase roms and upload them to dropbox and hope they will work on my iphone.

You think you can hook a brotha up with some roms or let us know where to get some decent ones?:)
    Another question. Does it play only Super Nintendo roms or also regural NES roms?

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

For you AJ, for sure, PM me what you want I prob have it lol. These are part of my roms from when I was using my xp laptop and my iPAQ long ago.

---------

Just played Mario kart and mario world for 3 mins, very responsive and good sounding, definitely as good as one could want in an emulator, wished you could move the buttons though, in landscape it has semitransparent buttons.

23. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yeah, I thought blatantly supporting piracy was against the rules here which is why I was "asking"

24. paulyeo macrumors member