SNL Nails White Oscars

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Jan 27, 2016.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

2. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That's certainly one way to put it. :rolleyes:

I'd have just called it satire.

And in this case, it was pretty funny.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

#awardsforeveryone

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

This has been brewing for a few years. However, I'm not too concerned who Pee-Wee Herman, Erik Estrada, and the other members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences nominate for their annual self-congratulatory celebration of multi-millionaires by other multi-millionaires.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

No kidding. They nominated Mad Max Fury Road for best picture. That movie sucked big time!

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I've backhanded people for less. :mad:

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What can I say? I like movies that actually have a story and aren't merely repetitious chase scenes.

(And you thought we shared some common values. Get that backhand ready.)

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

That's what's so brilliant about it! It does what it does, and it does it spectacularly. It's Mad Max boiled down to its barest, most frenzied basics.

I'll agree with you insofar that it's not movie of the year material, but it's still damn good. At least, at least for the technical artistry that's put on display.

This is where the line is drawn. :mad:

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You'd better put on some brass knuckles ... if you want to leave a mark. :D

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Oh, it's on.

12. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

I can't believe it but I think this is the second time we agreed on something.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 27, 2016 ---
    Why don't they do for the awards what they did for youth sports? Everyone gets an Oscar for just showing up and participating in a movie. No talent required, everyone treated the same.

13. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Not a good analogy. Black people actually win awards for sports.

14. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

I have a white belt in karate, I have it on the mantle next to all of my participation ribbons.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Mad Max was excellent. The story telling is among the tightest I've ever seen. Great movie.

16. FieldingMellish, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016

FieldingMellish Suspended

SNL proves once again that the show's comedic chops have been on the ropes for over a decade, the last time being obvious was during its anniversary show.

Oscars is a shooting fish in a barrel topic, how easy it was to simply run with the stupidness brought on by the wife of a black multimillionaire entirely bankable Hollywood A-lister and that one-hit wonder Spike Lee. That very fact really would have been juicy to roll it all back upon the instigators of it all. But that takes guts, something SNL lost long ago, along with real talent and bravery in humor. Though not entirely SNL's fault as leftist's in today's elite Ivey League colleges stridently strip the world of abundant topics of humor in favor of manufactured outrage. Oscars host Chris Rock even said he's done with the college circuit.

At least SNL could have parodied a remake of The African Queen, with all that implies during our present vogue, replete with a black transgendered lead; a double-treat.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Speaking about awful movies ...

18. thermodynamic, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016

thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

What, people aren't allowed to agree on anything anymore? Or is it more often where people agree on the idea but vehemently disagree on details therein? That might also explain other issues, too...
    --- Post Merged, Jan 29, 2016 ---
    Manufactured outrage, like what you just tried to do? Remember, SNL exists to make money. So do colleges -- and most professors agree (and some even manage to say in class they teach in!) that profit is "the least amount of work for the most amount of money". In short, it is using capitalism, not liberalism (you know, the people that hate capitalism as we're told by the rightwingers time and time again). Then again, listening to rightwingers at work, the hate government and unions and adore a free market because they say government only hurts it, at least until they decide government should step in because they're being hurt. And if they wanted a free market, show them all the corporate welfare their taxes pay for on top of everything and poiunt out the double standards and pure hypocrisy at the form of vulture capitalism they want except they really don't want it but are afraid to admit how wrong they were...

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

If I understand the process, nominations are handled by the Academy composed of film industry members who work in the industry and are mostly white. An observation, not an accusation, although something that can be rightfully questioned.

While I agree with you, it was excellent, I concede if not for 10 Best Picture slots, it would not be a normally something up for this award. Although having great action and performances, this is not normally the type of story, nor the type of acting, Hollywood normally falls all over itself to award. They need to go back to 5 (Best Picture Slots).

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

21. nfl46 macrumors 603

Lmao! That video was too funny!

And wow at the picture...It's very...hmmm..nevermind.

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Agreement is so over. Even I know that and I'm an old lady. Well old, anyway.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You shall not be carried through the gates of Valhalla, and you shall not ride eternal. Shiny, and chrome.

Should "Fury Road" get the best picture award? Probably not, but that was a thunderous, enjoyable movie that contained some heavy themes without getting bogged down by them.

And, it was much better than "The Revenant"—beautifully shot, but Dicaprio's overwrought acting kept bringing my back to his days in "Romeo & Juliet"—and "Bridge of Spies," which felt remarkably rote.

"The Martian" was really good, but personally, I'd give it to "Spotlight," but I'm a sucker for a movie about reporting and I'd like to see Mark Ruffalo get an award.

24. XrayTed macrumors regular

XrayTed

does anyone seriously believe the drug dealing thugs from "straight outta compton" should have been in that pic ?

[​IMG]

25. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

They all sold drugs? You obviously didn't even watch the movie. But stereotypical judgement is expected from you.