SNL: Pete Davidson and Dan Crenshaw

ronntaylor

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
I think the show went overboard airing the jokes the week prior. So glad that they (Davidson and Michaels as executive producer) not only apologized, but made fun of themselves with Lt. Com. Crenshaw joining in. I also loved that Crenshaw mentioned Davidson's dad (and others) who died during 9/11 as a protector.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I love how this video has 2.3 million views in less than one day since it was uploaded.

It appears this Pete Davidson video is being shared by every news outlet, Twitter feed, etc!

I'm glad he apologized... and poked fun at himself in the process. :p

Reactions: samcraig

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
It’s nice to see this apology occur. I thought Davidson’s initial “joke” wasn’t funny and really just mean spirited bullying of someone who has made major sacrifices as a veteran.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump
It’s nice to see this apology occur. I thought Davidson’s initial “joke” wasn’t funny and really just mean spirited bullying of someone who has made major sacrifices as a veteran.
I thought it was funny, and I appreciated that Crenshaw came on and cracked a few jokes at Davidson's expense.

Was it bullying? No. Crenshaw's a politician who had one joke made about his eyepatch. (The fact that beneath the eyepatch is apparently a false eye with a gold SEAL symbol in the iris reminds me of "Last Action Hero, which is pretty cool.)

Crenshaw handled this remarkably well. He has good political instincts, and we'll see if this kind of toughness intelligence and empathy continues when he goes to Congress.

This also illustrates the whole lie about political correctness though. Conservatives want to be able to make fun of women, minorities, etc., but crack a joke about a Navy SEAL and it's a blizzard of snowflakes.

Crenshaw's a Navy SEAL, which means he's had a drill instructor rip into his ego for weeks. (Three times since Crenshaw was recycled through Hell Week once because he broke his tibia.) I suspect he heard Davidson's crack and laughed.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Why is the comedian apologizing?
I am not saying he does or does not deserve some of the blame but he didn’t say this on a street corner, he said it on national tv!

First question, who wrote the joke?
Because I didn’t see the writer apologizing, I didn’t see the director/producer apologizing, where was the heads of NBC apology?

The comedian was just doing his job, sure he might have been able to say that he didn’t want to say those things in rehearsal but he did his job and read the script, it’s like we are forgetting this is scripted television.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Why is the comedian apologizing?
I am not saying he does or does not deserve some of the blame but he didn’t say this on a street corner, he said it on national tv!

First question, who wrote the joke?
Because I didn’t see the writer apologizing, I didn’t see the director/producer apologizing, where was the heads of NBC apology?

The comedian was just doing his job, sure he might have been able to say that he didn’t want to say those things in rehearsal but he did his job and read the script, it’s like we are forgetting this is scripted television.
Because with SNL, most times the person saying the line is the writer too. And I'm fairly certain that's the case here.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
I thought it was funny, and I appreciated that Crenshaw came on and cracked a few jokes at Davidson's expense.

Was it bullying? No. Crenshaw's a politician who had one joke made about his eyepatch. (The fact that beneath the eyepatch is apparently a false eye with a gold SEAL symbol in the iris reminds me of "Last Action Hero, which is pretty cool.)

Crenshaw handled this remarkably well. He has good political instincts, and we'll see if this kind of toughness intelligence and empathy continues when he goes to Congress.

This also illustrates the whole lie about political correctness though. Conservatives want to be able to make fun of women, minorities, etc., but crack a joke about a Navy SEAL and it's a blizzard of snowflakes.

Crenshaw's a Navy SEAL, which means he's had a drill instructor rip into his ego for weeks. (Three times since Crenshaw was recycled through Hell Week once because he broke his tibia.) I suspect he heard Davidson's crack and laughed.
No political correctness is a problem but what Pete did wasn’t that it was just mean spirited reminds me a lot of Trump’s ********. Also please don’t paint conservatives with a broad brush. I consider myself conservative libertarian and I don’t make fun of women or minorities and neither do most conservatives. It’s insulting.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Because with SNL, most times the person saying the line is the writer too. And I'm fairly certain that's the case here.
It is true some of the people on SNL do write but they also have a large pool of writers and Pete Davidson is not on the list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Saturday_Night_Live_writers#Season_44_(2018-19)

Head Writers: Colin Jost, Michael Che and Kent Sublette
  • James Anderson
  • Megan Callahan (Weekend Update)
  • Steven Castillo
  • Michael Che (Co-Head Writer)
  • Andrew Dismukes
  • Anna Drezen
  • Alison Gates
  • Fran Gillespie (Writing Supervisor)
  • Sudi Green (Writing Supervisor)
  • Steve Higgins
  • Sam Jay
  • Colin Jost (Co-Head Writer)
  • Erik Kenward
  • Michael Koman
  • Alan Linic
  • Eli Coyote Mandel
  • Dennis McNicholas (Weekend Update)
  • Lorne Michaels
  • Josh Patten (Weekend Update)
  • Gary Richardson
  • Katie Judy Rich (Weekend Update)
  • Pete Schultz (Weekend Update Head Writer)
  • Streeter Seidell (Writing Supervisor)
  • Will Stephen
  • Kent Sublette
  • Bryan Tucker (Senior Writer)
  • Bowen Yang

Edit: Even IF that was the case and he did write it, I seriously doubt he did. I will say again this is a scripted show and you had the proof reads and rehearsals. Plenty of people including the director and producer would have heard it before going live and again everyone seems to be angry at the guy who read the teleprompter.

Last edited:
Reactions: raqball

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2005
No political correctness is a problem but what Pete did wasn’t that it was just mean spirited reminds me a lot of Trump’s ********. Also please don’t paint conservatives with a broad brush. I consider myself conservative libertarian and I don’t make fun of women or minorities and neither do most conservatives. It’s insulting.
A comedian coming out on national television apologizing for a joke made at someone's expense, IS being politically correct. Crenshaw seems like a good dude, and not someone who was personally offended by this, but the whole thing reeks of political points and concessions being made. Don't apologize for comedy. Comedy is supposed to find, push, and trample the line.

Reactions: lostngone

samcraig

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It is true some of the people on SNL do write but they also have a large pool of writers and Pete Davidson is not on the list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Saturday_Night_Live_writers#Season_44_(2018-19)

Head Writers: Colin Jost, Michael Che and Kent Sublette
  • James Anderson
  • Megan Callahan (Weekend Update)
  • Steven Castillo
  • Michael Che (Co-Head Writer)
  • Andrew Dismukes
  • Anna Drezen
  • Alison Gates
  • Fran Gillespie (Writing Supervisor)
  • Sudi Green (Writing Supervisor)
  • Steve Higgins
  • Sam Jay
  • Colin Jost (Co-Head Writer)
  • Erik Kenward
  • Michael Koman
  • Alan Linic
  • Eli Coyote Mandel
  • Dennis McNicholas (Weekend Update)
  • Lorne Michaels
  • Josh Patten (Weekend Update)
  • Gary Richardson
  • Katie Judy Rich (Weekend Update)
  • Pete Schultz (Weekend Update Head Writer)
  • Streeter Seidell (Writing Supervisor)
  • Will Stephen
  • Kent Sublette
  • Bryan Tucker (Senior Writer)
  • Bowen Yang

Edit: Even IF that was the case and he did write it, I seriously doubt he did. I will say again this is a scripted show and you had the proof reads and rehearsals. Plenty of people including the director and producer would have heard it before going live and again everyone seems to be angry at the guy who read the teleprompter.
You do realize that Wikipedia isn't going to list every writer for every sketch. And the performers do have input even if they aren't listed as a writer.

So it doesn't matter if he's on the list.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
I also loved that Crenshaw mentioned Davidson's dad (and others) who died during 9/11 as a protector.
I don't watch SNL but watched the clip in the OP a few days ago. The moment Crenshaw mentions Davison's dad, you can see Davidson's face change, as if he didn't expect that to ever be brought up. Just my 2c.

I didn't understand some parts of the bit like the cell phone, but whatever, the kid made his dues and both parties are satisfied. I think Crenshaw is going to turn out alright.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
I don't watch SNL but watched the clip in the OP a few days ago. The moment Crenshaw mentions Davison's dad, you can see Davidson's face change, as if he didn't expect that to ever be brought up. Just my 2c.

It is a scripted show! Yes it is “live” but everything is proofed and rehearsed. Nothing there was a surprise. He just didn’t show up and sit down and start talking. Yes ad ‘libing can occur but they DON’T just go out and split-ball everything.
Just my 2c....