Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ianfann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2014
Can someone please develop an app for snorers? This app should be able to detect vibrations from a snorer and then give a prominent haptic to stir the snorer to change sleeping position.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
Can someone please develop an app for snorers? This app should be able to detect vibrations from a snorer and then give a prominent haptic to stir the snorer to change sleeping position.

I don't think the prominent haptic is strong enough to awaken someone... better to have your phone alarm go off but then that would be annoying to your partner.

How would you determine your snore vs partners snore?
What if you sleep with your arm under the pillow or blankets? How would the mic pick up sound?

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
You could try sending the makers of SnoreLab an email maybe they can come up with something.

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
I used the watch for medication reminders this week while sleeping. I use haptic with sound off, and the alarms tap continuously on your wrist. It would wake some people, unless you are a very heavy sleeper. Even then, I expect continued tapping on your wrist would eventually bug you and you would wake up. Try it sometime with the watch timer and see what happens.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Snoring is a symptom of Sleep Apnea. Not all snorers have Sleep Apnea though. Sleep Apnea can cause a range of issues that can lead to morning death. Other symptoms include high blood pressure, high cholesterol, sleepiness during the day, depression, and cardiovascular disease. Edit: It impacts all types of people: Thin, overweight, obese; it doesn't matter. Losing weight does relieve the symptoms but you'll still have sleep apnea. You only have sleep apnea when you're sleeping not when you're awake. It's very hard to detect on your own. Snoring is a key indicator.

http://sleepfoundation.org/ask-the-expert/sleep-apnea-and-heart-disease

It's a pretty serious problem that most people don't even realize they have.

If you snore or know someone that does you should see your primary doctor to get tested for sleep apnea. Assuming you value your life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.