Snow Leopard backgrounds

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Boomhowler, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Boomhowler macrumors 6502

Hello!

As I have upgraded all my macs to Mountain Lion I recently found out that the "abstract" backgrounds from Snow Leopard are no longer included in the apple provided set. Is there a way to get those backgrounds somewhere? I have searched the web but I've only found the "photos" from snow leopard.

I just want the abstract ones ;)

// DL

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

3. Drew017, Apr 13, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013

Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Here is all of them. Scroll down a little for all the abstract ones, and right click on each image to download ;)

http://macinformers.com/SnowLeopardwallpapers/

Also, here are they in two zip files. Just put them in your image folder and select it in system prefs ;)

Attached Files:

4. Boomhowler thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks alot for the archives!

The web page/domain is closed apparently, so I can't get hold of the rest of the backgrounds :(

----------

Superfresh

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That would be why. Mountain Lion and Lion were designed as an upgrade to Snow Leopard. Because of this, some elements are missing unless the user performs an upgrade from Snow Leopard.

6. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

7. vladobizik macrumors 6502

That's not true. Right, an upgrade retains some files from SL otherwise unavailable, and the "official" way for users of older Macs to go to Lion/Mountain Lion was an upgrade installation. But what about Macs produced since 2011? Does it mean Apple first installs SL on them and then does an upgrade? Of course not, Lion and Mountain Lion are designed for both ways of installation, just like any past version. Think of the old wallpapers and other assets as a perk for owning an older OS X version :D

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Apple installs a custom version of Mountain Lion/Lion on those machines. Their recovery partitions contain the extra files that would otherwise only be obtainable via upgrading through Snow Leopard. 10.7+ may be designed for a clean installation, but some eye candy and other things may be missing. The past versions of Mac OS X are much bigger than 10.7+. Even Tiger and Snow Leopard being mono-architecture are considerably bigger. Apple really slimmed down 10.7+ for internet distribution be removing lots of extra things. The desktop wallpapers are one of those things. Their line of though is that user will either be upgrading from Snow Leopard or getting it on a new machine. Sure they have to include all the functionality of the OS in the event someone does a clean install, but it will be missing some things.

9. vladobizik macrumors 6502

If that's correct, sorry for correcting you while being incorrect myself :)
    I have a clean-installed ML on my computers as do many of my friends whom I helped with troubleshooting their machines, and of course lots of other people have their own clean installations everywhere. I don't think we're missing on something substantial, but it's interesting to know we potentially may be.

10. Boomhowler thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah too bad that the images weren't archived, it's exactly those last eight on "abstract" that I was looking for.

But I also seem to remember some "fantasy stylish hills"-patterns in blue ... Hmm, might have to see if someone I know has a copy of SL or Leopard..

Thanks for the effort everyone!

11. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

I uploaded the abstract ones in my first post. They are attached.

12. Boomhowler thread starter macrumors 6502

I really appreciated that upload but it was only the first 8, not all 16.