Snow Leopard: Can't Paste from Clipboard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by doubledee, May 10, 2013.

1. doubledee macrumors 6502

doubledee

I have had my MacBook since 2008, and all was well until a few months ago when I could no longer use OS-X's built in Screen-Capture program.

So last month I broke down and bought "SnagIt for Mac".

Now in the last day or so, when I do a screen-capture in SnagIt, it will not let me paste anything into OpenOffice Writer.

At first I thought it was SnagIt, but I just tried using OS-X's built in command + shift + 4, and that isn't working either when I try to Paste?! :mad:

What gives?!

Sincerely,

Debbie

2. Elbert C macrumors 6502

Create a new user test account, log into it, then try the screen capture and pasting. Post the results.

3. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

I logged in as "user2" on my MacBook, opened up SnagIt for Mac and OpenOffice, and then did a screenshot in FireFox.

When I tried to paste the image which should have been saved to OS-X's Clipboard, nothing appears in OpenOffice. (Same issue for both of my MacBook user accounts.)

If I open up Preview, and choose File > New from Clipboard, it does successfully paste in what I captured in SnagIt.

Not sure what all of that means?!

I also tried deleting the SnagIt plist files, but that didn't help.

Very frustrating...

Sincerely,

Debbie

4. Elbert C macrumors 6502

I just reread your OP. Using the Command+Shift+4 keys then selecting an area takes a screenshot of the area chosen and saves a file to the desktop only. It does not save the file to the clipboard. Using the Command+Control+Shift+4 keys then selecting an area will save the file to the clipboard, where then you can paste it to any document.
    I just tried the above with NeoOffice and it worked fine.

I don't use SnagIt so I can't help you with it.

Taking Screenshots in Mac OS X

5. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

That's what I meant.

The point is something appears to be wrong with the Clipboard in Snow Leopard...

Well, this seems to be an issue with OS X, and not just SnagIt

Sincerely,

Debbie

6. Elbert C macrumors 6502

OK. Does anything show up in Finder's Edit menu > Show Clipboard when after using SnagIt or the Command + Control + Shift + 4 keys?

7. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

Interesting. I never knew Finder had that option?!

Anyways...

With both Cmd + Ct; + Shift + 4 and SnagIt, I see what I captured in Finder's Clipboard, however it is NOT getting pasted to my OpenOffice Writer document.

(And I tried both Paste and Paste Special.)

It seems to me that this issue first appeared with OS X's built in screen capture options, and now it has spread to OO... :(

Thanks,

Debbie

8. Elbert C macrumors 6502

It sounds like there is nothing wrong with OS Xs screen capture and clipboard but, something to do with OO. A quick online search came up with some OO users having problems with OS Xs clipboard pasting onto OO docs.
    Have you tried to paste onto any other 3rd party apps other than OO, like any graphic editors, other word processors?
    Usually deleting an apps preference file fixes their problems when they arise. You'll find Screen Captures preference file (com.apple.screencapture.plist) in Macintosh HD/Users/your account/Library/Preferences folder. Be sure to log out and back into your account so OS X can create a new preference file.
    If you don't mind, download NeoOffice and use that instead of OpenOffice. It integrates better with pasting OS Xs screen captures to docs.

9. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

I'll have to check that out.

What else could I use?

I only have what came with Snow Leopard and Open Office, and then some developer tools like NetBeans...

I did a search for that and can't find it?

What does that mean?

My HDD is pretty full, but I guess I could try that.

Would updating OO help any?

Sincerely,

Debbie