Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tipem

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
Columbus, OH
Hi guys,

Take a look at my Finder window (attached). Ever since I upgraded to Snow Leopard, the grid for every single folder has been off in Finder. How do I clean this up? Additionally, when I delete files (or move them to another folder), Finder doesn't "re-adjust" the grid; it just leaves EMPTY SPACES where those files used to be (like the weird spaces you see in the attachment).

My guess is that this is just some setting new in Snow Leopard that I don't know about. Or maybe some preexisting setting was modified in the upgrade. How can I fix this?

Really, how can I set ALL folders to "Snap to Grid"?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-09-25 at 10.59.15 AM.png
    Screen shot 2009-09-25 at 10.59.15 AM.png
    96.6 KB · Views: 62

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
How do I clean this up?

View > Clean Up

That’ll arrange everything on the grid. If won’t prevent future things from being off the grid though, that’s what this tip is for:

Press Command J and a window will appear. Select Snap to Grid to fix this.

Well, snap to grid will still leave empty spaces when a file is deleted. Select one of the other sort options to have things automatically fill the space (usually I think sorting by name makes the most sense). You can also get to these ones through View > Arrange By without opening up the View Options window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.