Snow Leopard question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sfphoto, Mar 11, 2013.

1. sfphoto macrumors regular

With previous OS one could double click the top of an open window to minimize - just like the yellow button.

This does not work once upgrading to Snow Leopard - no longer available or problem with this specific machine?

Have tried Apple and Logitech mice.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know about 10.4, but it works in every version of OS X since at least 10.5.

3. sfphoto thread starter macrumors regular

Works in 10.3 and 10.4

So, must be a specific machine problem

Have repaired permissions and ran Disk Warrior from another machine via target mode. No change.

4. WSR macrumors regular

I have OS 10.6.8, and I could get the double-click to work on Finder, Safari and Entourage, but not on iTunes. So it might be app dependent.

5. GGJstudios, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It works on iTunes, as well.

Make sure you have the option checked in System Preferences > Appearance > "Double-click a window's title bar to minimize"

In Mountain Lion it's located in System Preferences > Dock

6. WSR macrumors regular

It's not working on iTunes for me even with "Double-click a window's title bar to minimize" checked. I wonder if it could be a conflict with BetterSnapTool. When I was playing with the setting in System Pref., BetterSnapTool gave me a conflict warning when I rechecked the setting. For me this is fine, since I never used the "Double-click a window's title bar to minimize" feature even though I had it checked. I've now left it unchecked.

To OP, if you have BetterSnapTool or similar program, you might want to try uninstalling it to see if it makes a difference.

7. Morod, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

10.6.8 here and no BetterSnap Tool. Double-clicking the title bar doesn't minimize iTunes on my machine either. And I do have the double-click box checked in Sys Prefs.
    I am running iTunes 11.0.2 (wish I could go back to 10.7).

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wonder if that's the issue. It works fine for me on 10.6.8, but I'm on iTunes 10.7. Perhaps it doesn't work in iTunes 11.

9. WSR macrumors regular

Could be. I have 11.0.2 also.

10. kevinkendall macrumors newbie

Quick Windows Minimizing + a couple of other tip-tricks

:apple:
    I don't know if this will work in X.7 or X.8, but this works fine in my X.6.8:
    Here's a quick windows minimizer that works with all Finder windows and almost all other apps' windows:

Tap the "Control" key on your keyboard 2 times.

Another Mac tip-trick:
    When you've got a Finder window in "Columns" view, right-click on the "||" resizer icon that's located at the bottom of each column divider, and then right or left-click on the very first selection, "Right Size This Column." With only two mouse clicks, you'll have a perfectly resized column that will show the full filenames of the files in that column.

And a 3rd tip, with a VERY BIG thumbs up on this one:
    Download and install TotalFinder:
    http://totalfinder.binaryage.com
    The version that'll download by default from their download button is their version for Lion 10.7 & Mtn Lion 10.8. But if you've got Snow Leopard 10.6x, there's a sentence-link located right below that download button that you 10.6'rs like me can click on for their TotalFinder v1.3.4 for Snow Leopard.
    http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/snow-leopard
    I don't buy many utils, but TotalFinder I bought very soon after I began trying it out (uncrippled, too!). Anybody who hasn't tried it, try it, you'll love it.
    TotalFinder, EasyFind, Applejack, TypeIt4Me, Jumpcut, InstantShot!, and ExpandDrive for accessing my domainspace right from any Finder window: So far, my own Special Seven list that I'll never not have on any Mac I own.

Happy Mac'in!
    kevinkendall

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, that doesn't work. The Control key is a modifier key, like the Shift, Option and Command keys. It doesn't do anything unless used in combination with another key.

12. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I did not know this! Reminds me of OS8 and WindowShade, which caused everything except the title bar to "roll up" out of sight. I have 10.5.8 and just used that tip for the first time. It worked, of course.

I'd say try a different user account on that machine and see if it works.

13. sfphoto thread starter macrumors regular

Found it (in Snow Leopard) under preferences>appearance, an option to turn on/off double clicking to collapse window