Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gryzzex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2015
Look, I've seen most of the threads. I'm pretty new here, and I need to seek help for my old Mac. So if I posted in the wrong section, I ask any moderator or administrator of the forum to move it to the correct destination.

As you can see from the title, I have a Mac Mini with 3.5 GB of RAM. Here's how it all went horribly wrong and when my Mac didn't boot after what I did. I really need help, so comment if you have any suggestions.

1) I did a Software Update on my Mac Mini. It was all working properly.
2) It needed to restart. I let it.
3) It booted up with the normal grey background with the mac logo.
4) Screen goes black for 1 second, then goes to the light blue background.
5) I'm able to move my mouse for about 3 seconds, then it's disabled.
6) It shows a spinning wheel on the bottom of the screen for about 5 seconds. Then it disappears, and shows the spinning wheel again for 5 seconds. It won't get past this, and it just shows the spinning wheel over the blue background.

What I have tried :

1 - Held the 'SHIFT' key upon boot up :
Response : It showed a loading bar! Is it working? No, it wasn't working unfortunately. The loading bar fills up and then it just restarts.

2 - Reset NVRAM :
Response : None. The Mac Mini just restarted.

3 - Try to reinstall Snow Leopard :
Response : My disc is stuck in the Mac Mini. I've tried everything to eject it, but nothing works. I can't boot up with the CD nor do anything else with the CD.

4 - Replace monitor :
Response : I really thought this would work. Same results.

5 - Cut it off, take out plug and wait 15 seconds :
Response : Doubted this would work. It didn't work. :(

6 - Wait a day, then cut it on :
Response : I waited a day. Still doesn't work. It's been 2 weeks since.

7 - Try boot up from USB Drive :
Response : The Mac Mini won't recognize the USB.

8 - Replace the plug :
Response : I replaced the plug with a new Mac plug. Doesn't work.

9 - Replaced the monitor plug :
Response : Nope. Did. Not. Work.

Please post some suggestions. BTW, I am posting this with my new Mac which is a 10.4.11. Yep, hardly anything runs on this but an old version of Firefox and an old version of iTunes. This Mac I'm using has 1GB of RAM, and it's SOOOO SLOW. So please post suggestions to get the Mac Mini running again.

Gryzzex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2015
Can you see your cursor when it gets to the blue screen.

How did you try booting off USB?

I can see my cursor for 2-3 seconds. Then it disappears.
I had a copy of Snow Leopard in my USB and I held CONTROL down and all it showed was the hard drive.

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
I can see my cursor for 2-3 seconds. Then it disappears.
I had a copy of Snow Leopard in my USB and I held CONTROL down and all it showed was the hard drive.
In my experience, that is usually indicative of a full hard drive. When you reboot it doesn't have enough space to boot to the desktop. You can rectify this by starting your mini up in Target Disk mode by holding down T, then connecting it to another Mac with a FireWire or Thunderbolt cable. This should mount the drive on the other Mac and allow you to delete some files.

Assuming this is the case, booting off USB won't do you much good, as it's difficult to delete individual files that way. It does sound like your USB drive wasn't formatted properly if it doesn't show when option booting.

Gryzzex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2015
In my experience, that is usually indicative of a full hard drive. When you reboot it doesn't have enough space to boot to the desktop. You can rectify this by starting your mini up in Target Disk mode by holding down T, then connecting it to another Mac with a FireWire or Thunderbolt cable. This should mount the drive on the other Mac and allow you to delete some files.

Assuming this is the case, booting off USB won't do you much good, as it's difficult to delete individual files that way. It does sound like your USB drive wasn't formatted properly if it doesn't show when option booting.

I tried holding down T during boot up. Nothing changes/works. It still carries on to the blue screen.

I don't have a FireWire cable, but if it's the case, I will probably buy one. But I want to find out if there is a fix before I waste money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.