Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2013
Hi everyone! I've been embarking on the exciting saga of getting BootCamp up and running all day, and right now I'm trying to shuffle files around on my disc so there's enough room for BootCamp to work; I have a tendency to download files and then delete them later, so there are patches all over the place. |D Anyway, I've been following this tutorial to do that. Right now I'm running from an external hard drive, placed via Carbon Copy Cloner, etc. I'm having trouble with this bit: "...you have to erase the internal OS X "Macintosh HD" partition (while booted from the clone) using the Disk Utility > Zero erase (middle option)..." When I try to Zero Erase, it tells me that it failed because the disc couldn't be unmounted. Anyone got a clue about why this is?

(For what it's worth, I'm on a late 2010 MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard. There's about 52 GB left on my main disk.)

downtonmac

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
Zero out problems

I'm having problems zeroing out as well. I tried the one pass, but had to stop at the end of the process while it was creating temporary files. Does this mean all progress was lost? I understand this is about writing zeros in the free HD space, so were no zeros placed? Thanks for your help.

Running 10.4

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.