Snowden hacked his way through the NSA

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Aug 30, 2013.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://arstechnica.com/information-...-nsa-finds-snowden-hijacked-officials-logins/

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The thing that concerns me with what he's done is that he's placed a horrible stigma on my current profession, Systems Administration, to the fact that they recently sacked 20 (I believe it was at least that, but the numbers may be larger, if not all of them) systems administrators from the NSA.

Because of this, employers may be reluctant to hire them, especially in the government sector.

BL.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Never underestimate the paroxysmal incompetence of the US intelligence community. This is why I scoff at conspiracy theorists whole believe the covert services of the US run the world....

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Sounds like they weren't doing their job properly. We have systems that call out for confirmation when employees log in. You'd think the government would be a bit more secure than a typical university.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

If you believe that, then you clearly don't know how the United States government operates.

In my time in working at the DoD, the following protocols were still being used:

telnet
    ftp
    rsh
    rcp
    rlogin
    tftp

and most of these were both prior to and after 9/11, and well more than into the lifespan of any protocol relating to SSH.

Since then, the DoD may have got up to speed as far as security goes, but at the time I worked with them, they were very far behind; Seeing that some places in the government and .mil sites are still using IE6, far behind indeed.

BL.

6. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The problem is manifold. First, you have differing networks to compartmentalize information and multiple clearance levels, so you generally don't exchange information between SIPRNet and JWICS—most systems are air-gapped anyway—but then inside the defense network are three levels.

And, you have a mixture of contractors, military and civilian personnel working with the systems at different levels through different connections throughout just SIPRNet, so the system has a great deal of inertia that keeps it from being as updated as your average university system.

Both Manning and Snowden were able to read files that were beyond their own SCI, so the system is obviously a great deal more open and accessible than most would think.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

8. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

Maybe it is time for a career change? Working as the middle man (agent) is always a tough call, but working on an organic sustainable farm to help hundreds of thousands of locals is a great new career change too.

Have you thought about doing work that doesn't involve sensitive information lately?

9. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Snowden seems to have revealed just how bad national digital security and justcie is.

Not only the rampant abuses, but how easy it was to be abused and compromised.

How many already took advantage of the system for personal gain and did not tell anyone of it? We may never know because it is, wait for it, Top Secret!

It is harder and harder not to see Snowden as a hero for America.