So 80% of my storage is getting taken by "other"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flamewolves, Jan 9, 2015.

1. flamewolves macrumors newbie

I have no idea whats going on with my phone. I got to manage storage, and I added up all of my MB. I should be having a whole lot more storage than I have. I deleted over 50 photos and after taking 2 it said i was out of storage. I had a good 50 MB and then boop, nothing. It's really frustrating at this point, deleting apps and having no idea where the heck my storage is going to. Anyone have any idea why this is happening and how to fix it?

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

As silly as this may sound but when was the last time you turned your device off and then back on? Only reason I mention this is because last week my girlfriend's phone was doing that. Said 0 bytes available, restarted the phone and boom had 4.3GB available. Something got stuck in "other" and a restart cleared it.

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Seems like this is becoming an increasingly common problem (or at least, more people are coming forward with it).

I believe the problem is that some files are residing in your cache and not deleting themselves when they should. Have you been streaming content from iTunes? Like music or movies? Try signing out of iTunes and signing in again?

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Do you have many saved voicemails? I had one point had so many they constituted many GB of "other."

5. abcdefghijklmno macrumors member

6. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Yep do a restart, if that doesn't clear much at all the only other option is to reset and restore from backup. This shouldn't restore the other space back to your device.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd clean up your voicemails and see about downloaded attachments.

Its a pain that iOS does not give you any more precision on what's taking up your space.

8. bushido Suspended

bushido

Are you using iTunes Match? If you synced music before enabling it, it does not actually delete the synced music as it claims. Instead it just moves it to "others"

9. wx4olf macrumors regular

wx4olf

Try going to settings "iTunes and App Store" and sign out. Then sign back in. This will force any cache related to streamed iTunes content to be deleted and restore the other space if this is what was causing the other to grow. Unfortunately this also clears out any downloaded iTunes content so it may not be a desirable thing. If that is the case do some more searching here. There is a thread on how to clear those caches using a program like iexplorer to delete them.

10. skyperbon macrumors regular

11. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Yes. This has worked well for me before.

12. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

If you only have 50 MB free, the normal caching activity from iOS alone can chew that up in no time. The cache files will increase and decrease in size during normal usage. But, if you need to take a bunch of photos, you need a lot more free space than 50 MB in order to deal with the constantly changing system file sizes.

As others have pointed out, try restarting the device and that will free up some space, because restarting will purge some of the cache files.

With iOS 8, photos no longer go away when you trash them. They get moved into the "Recently Deleted" photo album, where they stay for 30 days. If you want to purge them now, you need to go to that album and permanently delete them manually.

Another photo setting you should uncheck is "My Photo Stream." With Photo Stream enabled, iOS creates a local duplicate of all your photos and uploads the duplicate to iCloud. If you don't care about sharing your photos, then uncheck the option and iOS will stop making duplicates of every photo.

Also, if you use iTunes Match, toggling it on and off will purge the cached songs that you've downloaded (assuming that you don't need them on your phone).

But, if you have a persistently large "Other" directory (about ~3+ GB), then you likely have a bunch of ghost files and garbage data piled up from botched app and media downloads or crashes. The only way to get rid of this stuff is to restore your device as new, and then restore your apps and data from a backup. I generally prefer to use a local backup with iTunes because it will also restore your messages. If you restore using an iCloud backup, you lose your messages.

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Like you said if you really only have 50mb free your phone is full and "other" will eat through that and much more.

You need to look at what you want to keep and what you can delete.

Glad I got the 128GB model.:rolleyes:

14. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

*sigh* Regretting not getting the 128GB model right now. I've always been fine with 32GB on the iPhone so I thought 64GB would be more than enough for me. Recently, I've started watching TV shows on the iPhone 6/6 Plus as the screen size is acceptable enough. The 56GB of available space is barely enough for one season (iTunes downloads clock in at ~1.4GB per episode) if you've got a bunch of apps and are trying to leave some space free for camera use.

15. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You do have some choices. I know it will cost some money but they do sell these wireless portable hard drives that will hold as much as you would ever want. I think they are under $200. My friend has one and it works great. I was able to download a movie in a very short period of time.

Your other choice is to look at what you can delete on your phone or worst, but another!

Many found themselves doing things they never did on their other iPhones and find memory at a premium, also.

16. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

I don't think wireless portable drives will work with DRM'd iTunes or Amazon Instant Video content. Besides, I've used a Kingston WiDrive and a Patriot Gauntlet Node and they both kinda sucked. Stuff I rip from Blu-ray myself is easy since I can drop down bitrate to 1-3 Mbps or so which translates to 300-900 MB per episode.

Unfortunately, I've already pared down the apps on my phone to those I use frequently and I don't store any music on it so it's as lean as can be (while still maintaining full usability). Alas, spending over $1K (after taxes) on a 128GB iPhone 6+ is a bit too rich for my blood at the moment so my only choice is frequent (like daily) deletion and addition of content (which gets to be mighty annoying).

17. notrack macrumors 6502

Afaik there is an option in iTunes on the Mac to sync only SD versions of video stuff. That 's good enough for small screens and saves a lot of space. (But not sure whether it's still around.)

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

1. Backup
    2. Reinstall OS
    3. Set up as new device
    4. Restore from backup